Mirrorless Cameras (MILC) and Lenses

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Don't expect reliable and fast AF from Canon lenses on S*ny bodies. I have Metastones and Sigma adapters and dozens of FW updates.
Canon EF lenses work very well with the Canon EF-RF adapter, in some cases better than they did on EF. Don't buy weird brand EF-RF adapters.
Some of the new RF lenses are optically worse than the EF lenses that they replaced. It's rather sickening, but weight is more of a priority than image quality according to Canon. Other lenses (180/3.5 macro, 500/4s, TS-Es, etc.) have not yet been produced in RF, so I'm using about 50% EF vs. RF. Of course there are some really nice new lenses like the RF 28-70/2, 100-500, and 70-200/4.
I only use S*ny lenses on S*ny, but that is mainly the specific combination of the 200-600 on the a7RV.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My Sony body usually gets used with a wide FOV at medium apertures, lately the EF-S 18-135, or with a 24/2.8, which goes a long way to make my life easy with it. It's also used more for video than photos.

LunarMist

Video AF is rather different. My understanding is that you need slow, but steady AF and good tracking.
For sure all MILS suffer from AF acquisition with tele lenses since the on-sensor AF has an inadequate effective base length. The better MILS now use some kind of AI logic to decide if the AF is going the wrong way when it cannot see ANY change in the totally OOF subject. Sometimes you have to use a left forearm to nudge the AF. It is a critical limitation that you just have to live with.

LunarMist

So the crappola de Canon continues. R1 resolution is rumored to be only 30MP.
🤢
🤮

Last edited:

Mercutio

So the crappola de Canon continues. R1 resolution is rumored to be only 30MP.
🤢
🤮

That's 50% better than the 1dx mk3!
Canon definitely has different priorities from Sony and Nikon but with the R3 as sport-centric as it is, I was thinking the R1 would be a more well-rounded device. It may still be. Worst case scenario is that Canon makes a camera you won't buy. C'est la vie.

LunarMist

30MP was well rounded in 2016. Now it is for sports and events.
The R5 is killing me. Where are the R5 II and R5s?

Mercutio

Are you still hoping to see something more than 45MP? Looking for Quad-Pixel AF?

Other than missing the digital shoe and the lens level correction some of the newer bodies have, the R5 still seems like a dream body to me.