10 Year Anniversary for StorageForum

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

Wasn't it December 2001 when the great disaster happened over at that other place? Then, a couple of weeks later in January 2002, this place (storageforum.net) was invented by Doug?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought that SF was started because Eugene was reportedly closing SR, not just due to the MBF.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I've just realized that while the thread dated back to Jan 14th, it was already the 15th in kangaroo land. Nevermind.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I thought that SF was started because Eugene was reportedly closing SR, not just due to the MBF.

Yeah. That was the deal. SR came back up and basically Eugene said that he was going to shut it down. There was an article on Slashdot.org about its closure, even.

There were some emails spread around among about a dozen people and then Handruin set up SF. We had ideas that we would take the whole community and a lot of the early traffic on the site was discussion about how to deal with things like a massive influx of users and how to let members of the SR community know that we were over here now.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm actually stunned how well this has gone. The S/N ratio here is like no other place on the internet that I've seen. That we have had such a great core of regulars for such a long time is really amazing. 10 years is a really long freaking time.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DELIGHTED TO SEE GARY IS BACK AND POSTING. That's the best present ever.

Splash forever:)

Handruin

Administrator
I'm happy that people are still around and that the site is still useful to the few who have remained. There are some strong personalities on this site which have altered the balance of people over time. There have certainly been some changes in how people interact due to the nature of the bunch, but there are still the few who hang around on a regular basis.

Hopefully this site will still be useful in another 10 years if people are still hanging around.

Handruin

Administrator
The recall you guys seems to have: :rambo:

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/member.php?u=3 - Doug joined 13 Jan 2002
http://www.storageforum.net/forum/member.php?u=4 - Clocker joined 14 Jan 2002.

There is no user id 1 and 2, well not publicly accessible at least.

There is no secret stuff going on with user id 1 and user id 2. I think that was the byproduct of converting from phpbb 1.4, to phpbb 2.0 (beta), to phpbb 2.0 gold, and then to vbulletin 3.x. I don't use any other forum account except for MonkeyC on rare occasions when I need to test changes and view them as a regular non-admin user.

Handruin

Administrator
I started thread #2 :) Good 'ol days.

Doesn't seem like 10 years. Wow!

http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2

Interesting looking though threads 3-50 or so...

You started more than thread #2. You are the reason this site exists today. So anyone paying respects to the number of years should be thanking Clocker.

When the SR fallout began, you were part of an external email group that had formed to talk about what would happen next. Who, or how that group formed I do not recall, but you were involved in it. Somehow during the years at SR we had built some rapport, and you decided to include me on that email chain. I always enjoyed the SR threads that you were involved in and I'm happy that we got along...because that helped to form this site. The timing of that email could not have been better because I had just registered my first domain name (handruin.com) to experiment with a website only a week or so before (I can't remember exactly).

Once I was included in the email group, I rushed to install a web-based forum (phpbb 1.4) and get the message out to everyone that the discussions on what to do next could happen in a forum. The rest worked itself out and here we are today.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I am humbled by my own actions, the significance of which I had no idea at the time. Did that even make sense?

The cream of the SR crop lives on.......minus a few.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I think it was Tony who started the e-mail group, but it might as well been Mercutio. I know it wasn't me, but I participated. Too bad I lost those e-mails two or three years ago or I could have told you.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I was traveling and was out for several weeks when the crash happened. I had no idea about this place. Tony, in one post at SR (the last few he made there) mentioned "the other place". Of course, I had to ask what he meant, and that's how I came here. Yeah, can't believe it's been 10 years. Good times, though. This is the only forum I'm a member of, and the only one I bother visiting. Like a fine single malt, only the best will do! Cheers!

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was also a member at SR. Still am.
Don't remember how I found SF??????

But, I sure am glad I did. :-D

Mercutio

I was also a member at SR. Still am.
Don't remember how I found SF??????

But, I sure am glad I did. :-D

I suspect you were part of the first group of SR regulars that was contacted and informed of the site. Stereodude was the first person I told once it was decided that we were open for business. Probably because his name was at the top of the list on SR's Computers Forum at that moment.

I do still have all the emails that were sent to me regarding the SR meltdown and its fallout, but I wasn't a participant in the earliest ones. The first message I got came from Handruin and had text quoted from Clocker. I believe SF was up and running a day or two later.

LunarMist

Several people from SR contacted me over the first few days that SF was online.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Tony was the main driving force that kicked this whole thing off. His first group email was at 2:45am on January 10, 2002 local time, which of course was late afternoon on January 9 in the US. It's quite lengthy and he outlined several possible ways forward. He also suggested that Clocker would make a good chairman. ;)

Over the following couple of days, other people also contributed, by which stage it almost had a life of its own. Doug's suggestion of a forum seemed like overkill in those first few desperate hours, but turned out to be a master stroke.

Maybe we'll publish extracts when we actually get to 10 years. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd like that. My old e-mails got lost along the way, but IIRC it was Tony that dropped me a cryptic e-mail with a link to this place. I joined right away, but then didn't come back for quite some time (my life was quite dynamic at the time).

ddrueding

Fixture
...but then didn't come back for quite some time...

Didn't realize what an understatement that was.

My second post was on 02-04-2002, 09:22 PM

My third post was on 11-17-2003, 10:03 PM

Spent most of that time quasi-homeless and drifting, didn't realize it was over a year and a half!

Mercutio

Who was Groltz in all that?

Groltz was Groltz. He was an SR member and something of a regular, and he was part of the original group of emails.

I genuinely don't recall ddrueding from SR. He must have had a different handle before the MBF.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If memory serves, like mubs, I saw a cryptic post from Tony on SR referring to "the other place". Early congrats SF!

LunarMist

It was so many years and usernames ago, I don't remember Tony's involvement.

LunarMist

Not so much at SR compared to here. That place underwent massive changes when the forums were restored. The Bar and Grille section was fairly new then and really exploded after the MBF. So many of the regulars stopped posting or posted very little, and others came here.