1U Rackmount Servers

ddrueding

Fixture
I have 8 Tyan Servers to dispose of. Two of them are Q6600s, the rest are X2 3800s. 3-4 GB of RAM in the AMDs, 4-8 in the Intels. One of the Intel systems also has a PCI-X GbE card in addition to the two onboard. None come with hard drives, all were working when I pulled them but are sold as-is.

I don't know how heavy they are, but they are, so shipping won't be cheap. They currently live in Salinas, CA.

Stereodude

Not really a
Pardon the stupid question here, but are you PIF'ing* the servers or selling them? If the latter, how much are they?

*(Paying it Forward)

ddrueding

Fixture
Some hybrid thereof. I need to get some money for them, but I'm not particularly concerned how much. $250+shipping to regulars? If no one here is interested, they'll go craigslist or ebay.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are the motherboards standard ATX and do you know how many SATA ports there are? Or do you know what the model is on the motherboards?

I am building a home server soon and if the price is right I would be interested, but not so much on the 1U case.

ddrueding

Fixture
It would not surprise me for shipping to be about the same in the US. They will likely go for more if they get listed elsewhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
Are the motherboards standard ATX and do you know how many SATA ports there are? Or do you know what the model is on the motherboards?.

The boards aren't completely ATX standard, but could probably be made to fit. There are 4 SATA ports to go with the 4 SATA hotswap bays on the front.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
It would not surprise me for shipping to be about the same in the US. They will likely go for more if they get listed elsewhere.

I did a shipping cost estimate for a 50lbs package and it came to ~$60 for UPS Ground. Do they weigh more than 50lbs?

Handruin

Administrator
I checked FedEx 5-day for 50lb from CA to MA and it's about the same ($56).

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, there ya go. Keep in mind these things are loud. Just putting them in another room in your house won't be enough. I can hear them through a firedoor in a cinderblock wall.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, loud was my first thought as well and why I asked about the ATX. A decent range of Tyan support IPMI with the virtual KVM that I am looking for but I think for the expense I will be getting way too much horsepower for a bit too much money, over my budget that is.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Those things are really, really, loud.

I'm tempted but I already have a spare dual Xeon sitting in my wiring closet for the day I need to swap out a customer system, but Tyan GT20s are my standard servers anyway.

Are the X2s socket 939 or AM2?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
How loud are these?

I turned my spare on my back bedroom, went in my bathroom and turned on the faucet, shower, radio and flushed my toilet, and my Tyan GT20 was still by far the loudest thing I could hear.

ddrueding

Fixture
That sounds about right. Each server has about 9 fans in it, each capable of 15,000RPM. If temps are low, they spin down to "only" 8,000RPM. They can still be heard through many walls, doors, and windows. Not only is it loud, but the quality of the noise is exceptionally grating. These should really live in a datacenter or server room.

Stereodude

Not really a
I pride myself on how quiet a machine I can build (while maintaining good cooling). What's the design goal of the typical 1U server? How few minutes you'll want to spend listening to it?

ddrueding

Fixture
Not only rack density, but cheap servers themselves. A 1U server is several hundred cheaper than an equivalent 3U server. I built these for under $800, so that matters quite a bit.