3TB HD from WD

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=694

Western Digital has yet to announce anything - they have a policy of not announcing products until the actual launch date. However, we have just confirmed that Western Digital will be launching their 3 TB hard disk drives in mid-October. The exact date has not been determined but it will happen in the next 2-3 weeks.

Our source says all three main models (Caviar Black, Caviar Blue and Caviar Green) will be upgraded to 3 TB. In addition, Western Digital will also upgrade their external drives to 3 TB. Eventually, Western Digital will offer 3 TB versions of media players like the newly-launched WD Elements Play and the future WD TV Live Hub.

The new Western Digital 3 TB hard disk drives will be available for sale at launch, or very soon thereafter. For certain, they will be available in quantity this Christmas season. Western Digital's timing is impeccable. Unless Seagate beats them to the punch, Western Digital is set to be the first to launch and ship 3 TB hard disk drives.

We will update this article with more details, as and when we receive them. So check back often!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So what exactly do I need to use them? New controller, new OS... :frowner:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I thought if you had say a RECENT x64 OS with GPT you were good, no? Should be compatible with all SATA out there now for just a storage drive isn't it?

Apparently need UEFI to boot from it, need the BIOS GPT support I guess.

LunarMist

I would refuse to boot. I have the LSI SAS 9211-8i.

Stereodude

Not really a
I thought if you had say a RECENT x64 OS with GPT you were good, no? Should be compatible with all SATA out there now for just a storage drive isn't it?

Apparently need UEFI to boot from it, need the BIOS GPT support I guess.
Reportedly they work with x86 OS's from Vista on too. My complaint is HW RAID related.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Again that's a 4k cluster not being supported problem right?

Stereodude

Not really a
Again that's a 4k cluster not being supported problem right?
As far as I know, the HW RAID "incompatibility" is a 4k cluster issue. Not being able to boot from them is an (unless you have a properly implemented EFI BIOS) is a GPT issue.

LunarMist

Does the 4KB incompatibility always manifest with RAID controllers or only when in a RAID mode?

Stereodude

Not really a
Does the 4KB incompatibility always manifest with RAID controllers or only when in a RAID mode?
Well, you can't align the partitions when they're on the RAID controller because no utility can see the drive(s) until you create an array on them. By then it's too late to align anything.

LunarMist

Then it should not be a problem if drives are used singly. Perhaps the manufacturers will provide a firmware to align drives/partitions created with the RAD.

Stereodude

Not really a
Then it should not be a problem if drives are used singly. Perhaps the manufacturers will provide a firmware to align drives/partitions created with the RAD.
That depends on the RAID controller. Any real hardware controller requires you to create an array even on a single drive for an OS to see it. At which point the data is unaligned and likely nothing you do will be able to realign it because the blocks the RAID card will be too coarse.

LunarMist

I have no advancing format drives to test my controller with, but will try a WD when it is for sale. I wonder how much time will elapse between the availability of 5400 vs 7200 RPM drives.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!

Probably they will release new hardware. There is no money to be made releasing a firmware update.

Handruin

Administrator
What's the RPM on these drives? They are shipping them with a controller card?!

WD is bundling its WD Caviar Green 2.5 and 3 TB hard drives with an Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI)-compliant Host Bus Adapter (HBA), which will enable the operating system to use a known driver with correct support for large capacity drives.

LunarMist

The WD30EZRSDTL is a green drive, so I can't imagine it will be faster than 5400 RPM.

LunarMist

What exactly does this mean? Win 7 and AHCI must be installed? None of the onboard ports will work?

ddrueding

Fixture
AFAIK:

To use it as a data drive, any SATA port that properly implements AHCI and any OS that can handle GPT partitions.

To boot to it, AHCI and any OS that can boot to a GPT partition (Win7)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I thought it was interesting to be bundled with the controller card until I remembered that the early SATA drives came with a controller card as well.

Stereodude

Not really a
So did PATA drives larger than 137GB for a while, and the first generation or two of 66Mbit/sec PATA drives.

Stereodude

Not really a
FWIW, the 3TB WD seems like a dog.

You also got to love how they're leaving the XP x64 users blowing in the wind. XP x64 supports GPT and should have no problem with the drive (aside from the 4k alignment issues). Of course I have no idea if you can align GPT partitions under XP x64, so maybe they're not too far off base.

Stereodude

Not really a
It looks like you can use diskpart to align a GPT partition, but you'll need the utility from Server 2003 SP1 if you're running XP x64.

Alignment looks to make a huge difference in the performance of the drive in SR's review. Specifically the IOmeter random transfers and 4k write latency. It also looks a lot better at SR than Anandtech.

LunarMist

So we must wait a bit for newer controllers and are forced to use Windows 7 or a MAc.

Stereodude

Not really a
Yes on the newer controller. However any OS that supports GPT should work. With a new RAID controller (that allows for proper alignment of advanced format drives) you wouldn't need to align anything with the OS since the controller will take care of that. However, it's hard to say if there will be drivers for old OS's like XP x64 for a new RAID controller.

I'm trying to get a stack of of the 2TB Samsung HD203WI's to hold me over until that all sorts out.

Handruin

Administrator
The price at newegg on the 2TB HD203WI is higher than the 2TB HD204UI. Are you finding any deals on the HD203WI?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
You need a system with EFI "BIOS" to boot as well.

Which IIRC, most Intel X58 and Intel boards with PCH all have (it's a BIOS option to use legacy BIOS or EFI).

PS. Geniune Intel boards like the DX58SO, not stuff made by Gigabyte, Asus, etc. (They may include it, but I only know that Intel definitely do have EFI available if needed).

Stereodude

Not really a
The price at newegg on the 2TB HD203WI is higher than the 2TB HD204UI. Are you finding any deals on the HD203WI?
I had a hard enough time finding 8 of them to buy let alone any deals. I guess I waited too long. I ended up buying 2 each from 2 different vendors and 4 from a third vendor. The 2 orders of 2 have shipped, the 3rd order of 4 hasn't. I really hope it does since I'm not sure I can find another 4 drives anywhere. The vendor claimed to have them in stock when I ordered and now they're out of stock, so I'm hoping to see they ship shortly rather than my getting a notice that they're out of stock. :frusty:

FWIW, there are a few vendors on ebay who seem to have some stock, but their online stores don't have any in stock like EXcaliberPC, so I'm skeptical that they really have the ones they're selling on ebay (which would be a violation of ebay's TOS).