4TB drive from Seagate

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Cool. Need eight and a RAID controller for them.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The reliability of Seagate's 2TB drives is poor, their 3TB drives are dreadful so their 4TB must be simply aweful. Seems like a safe way to lose a lot of data.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
The reliability of Seagate's 2TB drives is poor, their 3TB drives are dreadful so their 4TB must be simply aweful. Seems like a safe way to lose a lot of data.

I'm not going to disagree. As a potential cause, I contend that it isn't the drives as much as the distribution channel. How drives are treated after they leave the factory matters a lot in their reliability. Seagate has the biggest distribution so their drives go everywhere and I would contend that many, if not most, don't treat the drives with the care it need to get a reliable drive to the consumer.

I know that margins are small but both Seagate and WD, because they are so big, need to invest in better packaging to maintain reliability with the expectation that the drives will be abused before they meet the final consumer. i.e. blister packs suck.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I hate Seagate almost as much as WD at this point and that's saying something. As much as I would love to pull 32 drives out of service and replace them with a mere eight, it's not going to happen if Seagate is my only option.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll get one as soon as a usual suspect begins offering them.

I won't put anything important on it, of course, but I will beat the snot out of it and see what happens.

Does anyone have a tool for beating the snot out of a drive? Something that could fill the drive, check the integrity of the contents, read/write test, and empty it repeatedly?

Mercutio

Spinrite, but I don't know if it will operate with huge drives.
You could also script something simple with dd on a *nix machine.

dd if=/dev/yes of=/mnt/hdd

Would fill a drive up with repeating ones eventually.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll get one as soon as a usual suspect begins offering them.

I won't put anything important on it, of course, but I will beat the snot out of it and see what happens.

Does anyone have a tool for beating the snot out of a drive? Something that could fill the drive, check the integrity of the contents, read/write test, and empty it repeatedly?

Would the tool matter if it did it at the filesystem level or a lower level?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't think so. It would be great if it could just generate the data, then check that it was written correctly a few times, then repeat.

Handruin

Administrator
Another C# tool to try and build? :-D How about having it create thousands of 4KB zip files until the drive is full and SHA1 verify them all? Rinse, repeat, count the number of times, and report errors.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I just wrote a really simple Java application that will fill a disk and then read back what it wrote and make sure it's the same.

You can extract the jar file from the zip and then run from the command line like this: java -jar diskcheck.jar d:\

I have tested it on Windows and Linux and appears to work fine on both.

Source is included if you want to make sure it's not doing anything nefarious.

You'll probably need JDK 1.6 to run this, I haven't tested with anything older.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Another C# tool to try and build? :-D How about having it create thousands of 4KB zip files until the drive is full and SHA1 verify them all? Rinse, repeat, count the number of times, and report errors.

My solution is a bit simpler and only writes text.

Handruin

Administrator
Sounded like having it repeat would be useful for a drive burn-in.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Erm, the tool I linked to times the reads for each block to try to detect failing media.

But I would have thought you could just check the SMART data after you'd tested to see if reallocations had occurred.

Stereodude

Not really a
The real question is will the 4TB drives require another round of firmware / drivers updates for all the SATA controllers since they only support up to 3TB drives? :rofl:

CougTek

Serial computer killer
HGST launched a 4TB desktop drive today. More practical and versatile than Seagate's external drive IMO. Almost certainly more reliable too.

Mercutio

The real question is will the 4TB drives require another round of firmware / drivers updates for all the SATA controllers since they only support up to 3TB drives? :rofl:

Maybe they'll show up as 1.75TB when I connect them to my x58 motherboards instead of 750GB.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Sounded like having it repeat would be useful for a drive burn-in.

I updated it to support running a set number of loops or forever.

To run it forever, run like this:
Code:
java -jar diskcheck.0.2.jar c:\ -1

To run it once omit the last argument, or put in the desired number of runs.

I also added the current speed and total data written.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm shocked it's a 7200RPM drive. I would have expected a weird 5237RPM oddness like they usually do for those first-release large drives.