60 users on-line?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I logged on here a while back, perhaps two or three hours ago, and the front page said:

Code:
Our users have posted a total of 2664 articles

We have 64 registered users

The newest registered user is GooRu

In total there are 60 users online:

0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 60 Guests

I plugged in my user name and password, and then got this:

Code:
Our users have posted a total of 2664 articles

We have 64 registered users

The newest registered user is GooRu

In total there is 43 users online:

1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 42 Guests

Huh?

Are we really that popular?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Things is getting weird. I'm having a lot of trouble getting on. Internet Explorer says page not found. Opera tries but goes incredibly slowly, like 8 or 12 bytes a second - yes, bytes, not kilobytes let alone MB - and for some reason utterly unknown to me, Netscape 4.08 seems OK.

On my office machine this afternoon, my beloved 1996-vintage Navigator/2 2.02 was OK but the latest Mozilla was hopeless. Same deal as Opera at home. Something very strange is going on.

manyusers.gif

Handruin

Administrator
I've seen this weirdness and so have a few others. When I check the admin section to see who is logged in, there are 30 IP addresses that are the same. It could be a bug with phpBB2, let me rephrase that, it is a bug. ;) In this case it looks like twice as many...I'm fairly certain that there were not 60 + guests on this site, if there was....cool. :)

The slow site performance is most likely related to hardware trouble burst is having with this server. I've been trying to contact them and my friend in order to work this out. (slow process) It seems as though the root partition on the server continues to fill to 100% causing apache to pause or even slow down possibly in your case Tony. It seems fine now, but I don't know for how long. I'm wonderig if there is a log file which is filling up and they have to keep deleting it? That's just a guess, I really don't know.

This hard drive space issue is not related to this site, we have plenty of space to keep us going. Even if this account grows above the 500MB, this should not happen as there is no quota, they will just bill me. In fact the drive this is happening on is not the same drive this site is on.

Regardless, I hope this is fixed soon, I'm trying to get answers and when I do I will pass them along.

-Doug

James

Storage is cool
When / gets full on a Unix box, that's really, really bad.

Time to investigate other hosts? There is probably an exit clause for non-provision of service.

I don't know what is more of a concern - that Burst's setup allows someone to fill /, or that it is occuring...

Handruin

Administrator
James said:
When / gets full on a Unix box, that's really, really bad.

Time to investigate other hosts? There is probably an exit clause for non-provision of service.

I don't know what is more of a concern - that Burst's setup allows someone to fill /, or that it is occuring...

Is it possible a log file could do something like this if there where major errors?

James

Storage is cool
I remember answering this - phooey, the most must have got lost!

My response was, basically, no.

Log files should live on /var, which in turn is usually a seperate partition for this very reason. Hence my worry that Burst's setup allows such a thing to even occur.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Lots of Linux machines in the world are set up with a single disk for all the system partitions and no quotas on anything. Heck, lots of Unix boxes are set up that way. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Burst is, too.

From days adminning the student workstations at university, my best guess as to why / filled up on SF's host is that someone tried to write a script or run a command that didn't work as intended.

Not Doug's fault, but probably not Burst's fault, either. Normal admin activity normally doesn't put anything back in what are considered the "system" directories of a Unix system (/, /etc/, /bin, /sbin, most of /usr). Logfiles and mail spools are usually the only files that change in size (well, and the odd config file) after a box is set up.