740 New

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Are the New WD740 based on the the the WD1500, which is preumabbaly bnetter than the old WD740GD, oerr is thre any difference?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
So woudkl it be the worthwhile to replace old 740GD with the nerwer dfrive? If I undeerstand corectly in the spec sheets, all ADD series drivesd are the same, I could use the cheape 36Gb model instead. Taht would only be one side fo the one platter?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
So woudkl it be the worthwhile to replace old 740GD with the nerwer dfrive? If I undeerstand corectly in the spec sheets, all ADD series drivesd are the same, I could use the cheape 36Gb model instead. Taht would only be one side fo the one platter?

Maybe. Drive manufacturers will also use alternate formats if they can't yield prime. So, your new retail purchased WD360ADFD could be using two sides of one platter with a different format than a prime WD740ADFD single platter variety.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Well, now I dont; know. Only $100 for a 36Gb drive seesm reasonable, bvut the 74gb and 150gB rapeters don't make sense. Even in the future, vista will not be thay large, or??

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Well, now I dont; know. Only $100 for a 36Gb drive seesm reasonable, bvut the 74gb and 150gB rapeters don't make sense. Even in the future, vista will not be thay large, or??

I just did an installation of Windows Vista Home Premium and it used roughly 20GB of HDD space.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
20GB for Windows Vista? Holy sh*t! What is the minimal installation?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The smallest Vista I've been able to make is about 14GB with no apps and no drivers.

Vista basically wants a backup of every, single .EXE on your system, which is part of the reason for that large footprint.

Were you not reading any of the Vista sucks threads, LM?