8TB hard drive

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hopefully this will help push down the prices of the smaller sizes.

This.

Although there isn't much room for prices to drop on the "low-end" as I imagine the margins on the "non-premium" drive is pretty thin. I'm guessing that if there are no "problems" getting the 8TB drive to market that 2TB drives will be the bottom of the product stack, with 4TB drives being the "best bang-buck" but still somewhat pricey?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
This.

Although there isn't much room for prices to drop on the "low-end" as I imagine the margins on the "non-premium" drive is pretty thin. I'm guessing that if there are no "problems" getting the 8TB drive to market that 2TB drives will be the bottom of the product stack, with 4TB drives being the "best bang-buck" but still somewhat pricey?

The mid and lower capacities will be achieved with less platters, reducing the costs. I'm a bit concerned about the new technologies, if it is like shit on a shingle.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd expect that lower capacities will be achieved with platters that didn't quite meet the QC for the high capacity drives. That may or may not lead to fewer platters, but it will increase usable yield on a new technology.

Based on this read-rewrite situation alone, I think that we may be better off getting lower capacity drives using older technology.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The least reliable drives for me have been 2TB eco drives, but 2TB in general seems to have been a weird spot in terms of reliability. The 3TB Barracudas aren't stellar by any stretch of the imagination, but I bought a LOT of 2TB drives to use for backup systems and I think I've replaced something like 40% of them over the last three years. Many of them were sitting in USB or eSATA enclosures. When I compare that to the number of 1TB and only-slightly-newer 3TB drives I have out in the world, that's a jaw-dropping number.

I only have about 30 4TB drives, but not a single one of them has failed as of yet, let alone the mass failures I saw with Seagate and WD 2TB drives. I'm not prepared to say that smaller platters are actually better.