AdBlock Plus - Counter productive ?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I rather has assumed that that would be the expected norm and am perfectly willing for less RAM and lower web performance to avoid those adds.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Likewise, I would rather lose some CPU performance and memory to not have to deal with ads... (Also, something the article fails to mention as a counterpoint - over the past few years, people wishing to spread malware are now targetting ad servers to act as serving hosts for drive-by malware infection - so by blocking ad servers in general, also has the side effect of blocking what is becoming a very popular vector for drive-by malware infections).

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
What Chewy mentions is the largest reason I use adblock. I use it to block annoying ads as a secondary reason.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have been blocking adds and other tracking trash using a modified hostfile. Info here
Work very well. Even blocks adds on Google.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've never liked Wladimir Palant. He's a bit of an ass and not a great programmer. Unfortunately, with the device of the original AdBlock, ABP became the best option.

Using a hosts file is a blunt instrument. Can't whitelist sites easily.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have never used it. There are very few ads on my simple system. Well, very few that I ever see. I have become so used to ignoring them that I really just don't see them. Every now and then some particularly intrusive thing crops up and even my heavy-duty, professional-grade ad ignorer fails, so it's right-click -> block content -> click on offending ad. Gone forever! And so are all other ads from this particular source. Or, if you prefer, you can block Javascript on a per-page or per-site basis every bit as easily.

Of course, you have to be running Opera. Real Opera, not that third-rate Chrome clone abortion. No other browser has ever offered anything like this level of user-friendliness. Sadly, it is more than likely now that no other browser ever will.

sedrosken

Florida Man
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I rather has assumed that that would be the expected norm and am perfectly willing for less RAM and lower web performance to avoid those adds.

Same here. Honestly, I find that with AdBlock Plus enabled, my experience goes much more smoothly. Seems faster too. It is kinda sad to see some of those "Please disable your adblocker for us!" messages that some websites throw up in place of ads.