Adding drive to raid-5 array

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi!

We have at work a Dell Poweredge 2400 server with a Perc?? Raid controller and 3 drives in a raid-5 configuration.
I and the admin inserted a fourth hotswap drive into the server. We then started a Array Manager program that the admin got from Dell.
After a rescan the program saw the drive. We then Initalized the drive, and the reconfigured a virtual array so that the new drive was part of it.
In the reconfiguring the maximum amount (MB) was used.

The program tried to do something, but we can't see an increase in the available space on the virtual array!

The admin just told me he can't get the array manager program to open anymore...

What have we done wrong, or perhaps, what steps should we have taken to properly get the thing to work?

My first time playing with these things, and the admins :(

Any help and comments appreciated!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IBM's array manager made me re-initialize the array when I went from a 4-drive to a 10-drive RAID5 on my setup. Had to do a full backup, change the array, then restore.

Or it's possible that I didn't do things right, I suppose. It isn't like I add drives to established RAIDs all the time.

Anyway, my ServerRAID controller and your Perc/2 are basically the same card. It's possible that's what you'll have to do too.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Thank you for the swift reply Mercutio!!!

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, that seems to be the course of action to take. Thanks for the info!