Age of Empires III

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sigh.

It has another one.

Personally I urge everyone to try City of Heroes. Especially now, since teh l4merz have all left for World of Warcraft.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks like a different type of game to me. I'm not into the MMORPG scene, just not enough time. But I certainly enjoy RTSs and the occasional fling with an FPS. Currently LOTR: BFME is my favorite (not counting Transport Tycoon and Sim Golf of course).

Mercutio

Ah yes, but unlike other games I've tried lately, it's not crap.

Halflife 2 I am never going to play again. The overhead and generally offensive nature of Steam ensure that. There's a great game under there, when I can get an Active Directory Domain controller to boot faster than that game starts, there's something seriously wrong.

Doom3 was cool for about 5 minutes. And then it was the same thing over and over and over. Something about needing a $500 GPU to render Black? Anyone heard that before? 'Cause it's true. Maybe the Serious Sam people will make another game some day.

The other game I tried recently was the new version of Pirates! Which in some ways is a great update to an old game, but is missing some of the gameplay from the old version, too. I want to be able to attack a town by sea, dammit!

Other than that, I haven't seen a title on the shelf that I'd be interested in.

Hopefully someone will get around to making that sequel to Master of Magic that I've been wanting for the last 10 years.

ddrueding

Fixture
The only modern game that has me really interested is Theif: Deadly Shadows. Nice gameplay, nice graphics, good plot, and playable @ 1280x1024 on a 6800...very nice.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have to admit that I like COH (City of Heros) and I like HL2/CS:S. I think the best games are actually very good compared to what they used to be..

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Clocker,

The IP addresses for that CS:S server that I play on has changed. PM me if you want further details.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Merc, get your hands of Far Cry if you haven't tried it yet. The "tropical island paradise" settings were very cool in their vividness.

I just started playing with HL2 yesterday.

Handruin

Administrator
My thoughts shadow Merc's on Doom3, but only partially on HL2. Yes, the game has overhead and is slow to load, but it was worth dealing with. I've yet to revisit doom 3 and I don't honestly feel the need. I've not even tried the multi-player aspect.

I'd try City of Heroes if there were no $15 monthly fee. The same is keeping me from trying world of warcraft.

AOE3 is visually pleasing in those images, Buck. I never played the other two games so I can't share your excitement...yet. I may have to investigate further.

I played the demo to far cry and I wasn't thrilled with the game play. It may be visually stunning, but I'd rather have more game play than visual eye candy any day. I may not have grasped the greatness of the game through the demo, so please note that's what I'm basing it on.

Mercutio

P5-133XL said:
Yes, Freedom Server [KORT] P5-133XL Scrap is my current character Level 22 Scrapper.

All my toons are on Liberty. I mostly play Defenders - I have a level 50 Emp/Psi and level 33 Rad/Dark. I play a couple hours a night with a good close-knit group.

Mercutio

mubs said:
I'm not a gamer, so I wouldn't know, but read this article and tell us what you think.

I've heard people say things like that, especially in relation to "dangerous driving" games like Grand Theft Auto, but I can't say I have ever experienced anything like that myself.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
P5-133XL said:
Yes, Freedom Server [KORT] P5-133XL Scrap is my current character Level 22 Scrapper.

All my toons are on Liberty. I mostly play Defenders - I have a level 50 Emp/Psi and level 33 Rad/Dark. I play a couple hours a night with a good close-knit group.

I have only been playing a month or so and then only intermittantly. That's why I have only a single character and it is only 22 (now 23 - I played some last night). Does your group have a ventrillo server? I've found that having voice chat makes a world of difference.

Mercutio

I don't do voice communication, personally. I find headsets uncomfortable and I'm not particularly willing to look for someplace else near my head to put a microphone.

I'm pretty much tech support for the people I play with. I even built new computers for a couple of the people in my group.

I have a lot of fun with the people I play with - people who like comics and science fiction and movies, who are all adults and behave like adults, and in trying to find everything there is to do in the game. Right now we're having a lot of fun with the maximum difficulty setting for missions, just seeing what we can get away with.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I don't understand "Maximum difficulty setting for missions". To my knowledge, one can not control difficulty settings in COH. I know that the larger the group and the stronger the group the higher-level the minions within a mission but there are limits to manipulating that characteristic. Other than that, I have not seen any other way of manipulating difficulty settings in a mission.

You don't like headphones; I don't like speakers -- Each to their own. I find value in being able to communicate easily with team members. Typing messages, interferes with game play but a voice activated microphone does not....

Mercutio

The slider was introduced in update 3, which was released last Tuesday. Basically, you can walk up to a "Hero Corps Field Operative", pay a small amount of influence, and you can choose 5 settings from "Hard Boiled" on the low end to "Invincible" on the high end. As the difficulty goes up, more and tougher baddies get added to the groups inside missions. Invincible spawns are three times normal size, at least +2 and sometimes +3 level to you (+3 - +4 if you're in a group of 6 or more - this is the point where a boss can one-shot anyone who isn't a tank, so you need to be pretty confident of your team and its ability) and two or three times the number of bosses. The slider appears to alter the level of difficulty for Task Force misions as well.

Generally I've found that playing somewhere between "Rugged" and "Invincible" is an appropriate level of challenge. One of the advantages to being in a stable group is that we built our toons to work well with each other, so we can cakewalk through places that pickup groups and less well planned toons would find impossible.

Once you get used to the rythmns of the game you find that typing - even during archvillain fights - isn't really that difficult.