Amazing hard drive story

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
They used a 400MB hard drive in 2003? Was it a hard drive from 1993 or a special model?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Aren't they still using a hardened 386 for the shuttle flight computer? As this is just an experiment they get allowed to use the "newer" stuff, heh. Still I am impressed, that heat, violent breakup and landing could possibly be the worst treatment a drive has withstood.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Aren't they still using a hardened 386 for the shuttle flight computer? As this is just an experiment they get allowed to use the "newer" stuff, heh. Still I am impressed, that heat, violent breakup and landing could possibly be the worst treatment a drive has withstood.

High-powered wood chipper?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I had read somewhere it's an 8086.
They upgraded the flight computer systems fifteen or so years ago. As I recall, they're something on the order of a 286 -- which is still more than enough to get the job done.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's not particularly amazing that this drive survived, considering that other experiments did, as well.

I had a friend who, at the time, was working at NASA Ames on aging in space. His group sent up a bunch of C. elegans (a round worm with a well-studied aging process) aboard Columbia. His experiment came back with usable data, i.e., the worms survived.