AMD's Opteron to power supercomputer

Handruin

Administrator
With all the surrounding media hoopla about AMD delaying their new processors and how it is going to hurt them, I'm hoping this deal works out for the best.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-962787.html?tag=fd_top_4

In a deal that should buoy both computing companies, Sandia National Laboratories will install a $90 million supercomputer from Cray that will run on Opteron processors from Advanced Micro Devices.
The supercomputer, code-named Red Storm, will contain approximately 10,000 Opteron chips and be capable of churning 40 trillion calculations per second (40 teraflops) when it becomes operational in 2004. NEC's Earth Simulator, currently the world's most powerful computer, can perform 35.9 trillion calculations per second. Several supercomputers are in the pipeline that will surpass NEC's figure.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
wow.... I hope they consider joining our folding @ home team.
Yeah right. I'll let you know if they mail me begging me to give the OK to enter the team... :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
blakerwry said:
I wonder how many hours of folding it would take that thing to put us at number 1....

We could get a rough estimate if we knew how many mflops our CPUs run at. I'm sure there is a bit more involved then that simple number, but I did say rough estimate. ;)