Another SF Milestone

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Our intrepid webster, Douglas H. Cahill Esq., has passed the 4,000 post mark. Congratulations! Drinks on the house. Children, farm animals, and Buck at the end of the line please.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Congrats, Doug! You certainly didn't trade quality for quantity; every one of your posts is well considered and meaningful. Keep 'em coming!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have to concur with the above. We wouldn't be here without him, but even if the forum were someplace else, the place just wouldn't be the same.

Go Doug!

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks everyone. I wasn't even paying attention to the post count. mubs, you're very kind with that statement, but I can't take that much credit. :) I have several meaningless posts under my belt.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Without burdening our group with additional threads, I'd like to amend this one to include new milestones. A hearty congratulations for their personal, forthright, heartfelt, and knowledgable posts. Please congratulate:

ddrueding - 2000+
sechs - 2000+
Clocker - 2000
i - galloping past 1000

Others are steadily moving forward to new milestones. It is definitely appreciated to see a variety of people adding their input on this forum. Beverages and snacks on the house.

Sorry for the delay with these deserved mentions.

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
Not a chance, Sunshine. May I take this opportunity to pass on my best wishes and congratulations to all those mentioned above (excepting possibly Tannin). Great posting, team, and to celebrate, I'm offering a 24 hour amnesty for grammatical mistakes, at no extra charge. Oh, and make mine a brandy and soda, thankyou once again Bartender.

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
"Thank you" is, as far as I know, the only correct form in American English, but in Standard English "thank you" and "thankyou" are equally acceptable.

This is actually rather interesting because, nearly always, it is the American form that gets shortened, abbreviated, contracted, concatenated, or otherwise mutilated. Err .. sorry, I meant "otherwise changed".

For example, the Standard form is "per cent" while the American form is "percent". Similarly, an American will write "cooperated" while an Englishman will usually write "co-operated".

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If it was easy to type in diaresis, I'd spell "coöperate" correctly all of the time.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Whoooah .... You just lost me. If asked to guess, I'd have thoght that "diaresis" was something to do with needing a kidney transplant. (Yes, I know that's "dialysis" (sp?) but I'd have guessed "diaresis" was something to do with it. It must be the same root as "diacritical" (sp?), but I don't know what that means either.)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
sechs said:
If it was easy to type in diaresis, I'd spell "coöperate" correctly all of the time.
Since when do you have accents in English? In Français and Español, we do, but I wasn't aware there were any accents in languageus britannicus.

ddrueding

Fixture
Every once in a while, we need to brush up on our umlaut.*

*If anyone can fill in some of the rest of the quote from this film, I'll buy them a drink. My GF was born and raised in Bonn, and found it quite amusing.[/url]

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Secretary: "It's 'froy-line,' with an umlaut."
MacNamara: "I'll say!"

I haven't seen it, but I'm a big fan of Billy Wilder (and James Cagney), so I'll now start hunting for it - thanks.

Your GF has excellent taste. What does she see in you? <joking> :)

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
CougTek said:
Since when do you have accents in English?

Don't BS me CougTek.

Everyone here knows you listen to Mötley Crüe when you're hamfisting stubborn computer boxes. :mrgrn:

Cheers to all the high-post-milestone superhumans..

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
ddrueding said:
Every once in a while, we need to brush up on our umlaut.*

*If anyone can fill in some of the rest of the quote from this film, I'll buy them a drink. My GF was born and raised in Bonn, and found it quite amusing.[/url]

Well lucky she wasn't from Köln, and you didn't spell it Koln, given your post :) Still I suppose you could have been boorish and spelt it Cologne ;)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I was suprised Tannin didn't attempt to give his airplane discussion even more old-world charm by writing it as, "Æroplanes or for the linguistically challenged, airplanes." But then I looked up the character in an online encyclopædia, and that lead to this interesting article. Apparently the subsequent "r" rules out its use.

Excuse my dipthong.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Old world charm, indeed. "Airplane" is not just one of the ugliest of Americanisms, it is also very recent. It only came into vogue in the US (nowhere else) around about the time of WW2.

Actually, Americans fascinate me when it comes to language. One goes through life shaking one's head at the generalised illiterate buffoonery of the degraded US tongue .... and then up pops a depth of knowledge of the details of language that astonishes me. Sechs in this thread is an example, but it's not uncommon; I've been struck by Cliptin's knowledge before, and probably several others here too. Truly, America is a land of contrasts, a world of extremes.

Well, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. It is, after all, the land that gave us Martin Luther King and George Wallace; Abe Lincoln and George W Bush; Frank Lloyd Wright and Andy Warhol; Humphrey Bogart and John Travolta; Bob Dylan and Pat Boone; Bill Hewlett and Ray Krock.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tom is German by birth, but seems to be American by adoption. So American, in fact, that I'd actually forgotten he was German until reminded of it by this thread. Which shows how often I visit THG. I may even have been there this century, not sure. But in any case, what I had in mind was the THGH forum (as opposed to the SF forum).

PS: a nice touch there Sechs!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Excuse me, Tea. I was thinking I'd listed THG myself, when in fact it was you that mentioned it first. I really am getting vague in my old age. I put it down to lack of drugs and alcohol.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
WT stands/stood for Wilson Technology, which is where I work. I said stood for because we are actually a division of a larger company now. The story goes that one day I just had to reply or post something at SF and didn't have access to my account. So I created the WT account and used that from work from then on. Until I switched back to the other one some months ago.