Audio Components

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have hooked up with a new distributor that specializes in system integration. This includes audio, video, electrical, environmental, networking, etc. I noticed that one of the major audio brands they carry is Onkyo. Any input or feedback for this brand? They have a really nice receiver, the ONK TX-NR1000. They also carry brands that are new to me, such as Russound (SMS3 Smart Media Server).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have heard very good things about Onkyo over the years. Certainly better than say Sony or any of the other more popular consumer brands. Also, their Integra line is quite nice. I would definitely recommend Onkyo receivers.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
For what it's worth, I'm not sure if things have changed recently, but, I've seen *lots* of broken Onkyo hardware over the years -- same thing with Denon, but after about 1982. Before that, Denon hardware was elite and quite good, but, back to Onkyo.

Onkyo has been around for a long time existing as a bargain brand. It's not that bargain brands are necessarily made poorly, they just tend to have basic features. Pioneer has made -- and still makes -- bargain audio hardware, but it's always manufactured quite well.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I also have heard excellent things about Onkyo equipment. My impression has always been that it is a high-quality brand that sells at reasonable prices because it's brand visibility is much weaker than many competing brands.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My living room system is an Integra DTR-8.2. My bedroom system is an Onkyo TX-NR801. I bought my ex- a slightly less-capable model - I think it was a TX-SR503 - not too long ago.

The receiver in my office at work is a Pioneer VSX-701.

I've owned Sony ES receivers, and I've demo'd mid-range stuff from Harmon Kardon, Denon and some of the other usual suspects.

Denon equipment is nice, but it seems overpriced/underpowered to me. I'd characterize their stuff as a safe and conservative choice. My brother (fucking insane audiophile) suggested that I start with Denon hardware, when I asked him for advice.

HK's equipment I've been less impressed with from an AV standpoint, but I will say that their hardware tends to look cool.

When I auditioned Integra equipment, I really felt like I was getting a quality that was close to hardware that was out of my price range (I liked what I heard out of my Integra receiver better than what I heard from a $2000-more-expensive Carver amplifier).

My first Onkyo receiver (TXDS-595 I think) let me upconvert Composite to Svideo to Component video, and so does the $200 Pioneer Receiver I use at work. One thing I've noticed is that upconversion of different types of cables is something that's moved UP the product lines. My Integra does it, but the hardware I have from Onkyo's current model lineup do not, or at least don't upconvert things to component.

I have no complaints about any of the Onkyo hardware I have. Well, OK. The remotes suck (Integra uses RF remotes, which are really, really cool) But I'm a big fan of the Harmony USB-programmable remotes for my systems anyway. Everyone should have Harmony remotes. They make life better.

Going back to Pioneer... Pioneer's low-end stuff makes me want to tear my hair out. "100W/Channel" Pioneer receivers can be overmatched by 55W/channel Onkyo stuff (yes, I know, peak vs. RMS, except Pioneer says theirs is RMS, too). I notice that Pioneer hardware (and my Sony ES receiver did this too) tends to drop digital signals much, much, much more often. You guys all know that when an analog signal degrades, you get static. Well, losing digital just means that you get a noiseless gap. When my Onkyo equipment cuts out, it tends to be just a "blip" (like when I turn on the Microwave or power up one of my bigger PCs). My Pioneer amp sometimes cuts out for 10 seconds. Crummy power filters? No caps for extra juice? No clue. Just a complaint I have about that hardware.
Pioneer also has what I feel to be a really moronic system for reassigning inputs. It seems to be the same on low- and midrange models, and it involves pressing a button that's only on the front of the unit, not on the remote. Bleh.
On the other hand, I paid $200 for a Pioneer receiver about 3 years ago, for an HTPC I was selling. My buyer stiffed me, and I've had it for all that time. It's underpowered, but it DOES switch signals fine, and it DOES upconvert fine. It's been a good little piece of equipment for the money.

-------

Russound makes AV Distribution hardware. I looked at their offerings when I bought my Integra receiver (my particular model has an ABus distribution system built in, although I ultimately bought a different panel, anyway), since at the time I wanted to do AV distribution through my house. The installers I talked to at my local AV showplace kind of badmouthed their equipment for do-it-yourselfers, for a lot of the same reasons we don't like Compaq and Dell... some of their hardware is proprietary and very hard to upgrade.

One brand that you have not mentioned, and that I really, really like for AV applications is Escient.
Escient hardware is all about standalone media integration. Their products can index the contents of CD and DVD jukeboxes or rip and distribute audio throught a house. Almost everything they make can talk to PCs, so files can be copied to and from, and it's all internet-aware (my Escient Fireball, as it indexed my CDs, copied and stored the album art and track listing and stored everything locally - it has a video output so I can choose what tracks I want to play and manage playlists pretty much just like a PC-based player, except that it's aware of 1200 discs across 3 jukeboxes). If I could spare a few more grand I'd be all over an Escient DVDM300.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
With this new distributor, I don't have access to Escient. But I do have other new brands available to me, such as: Panasonic, Nutone, MG Electronics, Channel Plus, Channel Vision, Weldex, NetMedia, HAI Omni, HomeVision, JDS, Applied Digital, Premise, HomeSeer, HAL, Marrick, Xantech, Applied Digital, Crisp Solutions, Buffalo Electronics, X-10, Arlington Industries, Leviton OnQ, and more. So far I've only used Leviton and X-10.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
Does this mean you're now in the audio business as well, Buck?

Nope. But I'm happy to have the extra products available. I've used Leviton and X-10 for a commercial lighting automation system.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance
I can't say I know the "low end" of the audio spectrum well at all, or the various brands that dominate that lucrative arena. I owned a receiver (a.k.a. -- integrated receiver) once -- that was back around 1971. It was a Sansui. Ever since the mid 1970s, I've only owned component stereo equipment.

Onkyo was (maybe still is) a much bigger brand in Asia than anywhere else. They had a tough time cracking into the North American market in the 1970s after the likes of Kenwood, Sherwood, Pioneer, Harmon-Kardon, Sansui, and Panasonic/Technics got a big head start in the late 60s and early 70s. I believe Onkyo finally reached appreciable sales numbers in the early 1980s.

As far as the Onkyo problems I've seen (and like I said, I've seen numerous ones), the majority were mechanical problems, as in lots of switch and knob problems. I also recall a fair amount of Pioneer power supply problems in the mid '70s. I used to regularly hang out with someone who was the chief repair dude at a Pacific Stereo store (a long-since defunct chain in the West and Southwest USA). They worked on any brand and any type of consumer or pro audio equipment.

Stereodude

Not really a
Onkyo makes pretty decent stuff, as does Denon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES.

They all have similar features and similar sound. They mostly vary from year to year as to who is cheating their power ratings the worst (with all channels driven). Lately Denon seems to be nailing their power ratings (3805) while Pioneer Elite (74TXVi) is not. Sony was nailing them a few years ago(DA3/DA5ES), and then fell off the map (DA4ES), but might be back with the (7100ES). I've seen less said about Onkyo, but they're in the hunt.

You should probably check AVSforum.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
timwhit said:
Can you get good prices on Onkyo receivers and pass them on to us? That would be sweet.

When the time comes, and you're looking for a Onkyo product, let me know, and I'll check if I carry it.