Best network configuration

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I currently have a 3 computer network at home. One computer I use as a file/print server and light internet browsing and gaming.
My other desktop I use for heavy gaming and surfing.
My laptop is used for very light gaming and the majority of web surfing and email.
I also have an Xbox 360 connected that I'd like to be able to connect to the server to play videos and even use the Netflix download service which would require some type of Windows Media Center.
Currently all three computers are running xp. I've been having problems getting them to see eachother. In fact, the laptop cannot currently connect to the server at all. I've been dealing with trying to fix it for a week and I'm pretty much over it.
What I think I want to do is use some sort of server software like maybe a version of Linux or Server 2003, or 2008 or WHS for my file/print server.
The problem with this is the need to have Media Center for the Xbox 360.
I'm willing to spend the money for another low end computer for the file server but I was hoping to throw this out to you guys for recommendations/ideas because I've never really done this before.
I'm not really much of a network admin, everything I know is just from research dealing with my own problems. I'm not a Linux or command line person either. I consider myself reasonably intelligent however and I'm willing to figure this stuff out on my own.
I just need some recommendations from people who know better before I throw a lot more time into this.

Thanks for reading all this and your advice.

ddrueding

Fixture
None of your tasks or network are in any way complex. I would put Windows XP MCE on the server (for your XBox goodness) and leave XP on the rest. Those fundamentals are fine and will do all you need to do. Changing them will just make fixing your issues more complex.

Now, about fixing your issues. What internet access do you have? Do they provide a modem with a router? Do you have your own router? Are there any additional switches or hubs? Does anything connect wirelessly? Are the shares shared to "everyone"? Or are you using different user accounts with permissions/etc?

Striker

It's FIOS and I'm using their modem/router. It's an Actiontec MI424WR

Just the gaming machine is connected by cat5. The server and laptop both connect wirelessly. I plan on running a cable to the server but I have to move the router to a more central location to do that and then I would have to open up my walls to run another cable to the gaming machine. I'm not quite ready to do that yet. It's a project I don't have time for right now.
There are no additional switches, hubs or routers.
I'm pretty sure I shared the shares to everyone on the network but I can't remember where that setting is to check it.
When I check the workgroup each computer can see themself but none of the other computers.

ddrueding

Fixture
FIOS...so lucky ;)

I assume that all the machines can access the internet correctly? I'm doing this from memory, so it might be a little off:

Test one would be to make sure the server's firewall is set to allow file sharing:

Start->Control Panel->Firewall->Exceptions
Make sure that "File and Printer Sharing" are checked.

Test two is to make sure the share exists and permissions are right:

Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Then click on "Shares" from the tree on the right. Find the share in the list and right-click to go to properties. Make sure not only the share is for everyone, but that the permissions of the share (and the files in it) are good for "everyone".

Test three is to find the server's IP address and try to ping it from each other machine:

(On Server)
Start->Run->"cmd"->"ipconfig"

(On each workstation)
Start->Run->"cmd"->"ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

Striker

Everyone can connect to the internet. There's an exception in the firewall for sharing.
None of the machines can ping eachother. I verified they have internet connection right after this and they do.
There is no option for properties for the share in computer management. The only option is to refresh so I couldn't check the permissions. The server is running xp home edition sp3 so that may be effecting what I can see there. The laptop is running this as well.
I've run the network wizard a couple times on both the server and the laptop and made sure they're in the same workgroup and have different computer names.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You also need to make sure that all the machines have either the same Workgroup name or all belong to the same Domain. How that is done differs between different Windows versions but invariably it starts with right clicking Computer/My Computer off the desktop and choosing properties.

Striker

I'm guessing I was getting some kind of interference or something.
I just set the wireless to channel 6 because the laptop was having trouble staying connected and when it came back I was able to find the server.

Thanks for all your help.
I appreciate it.
I still can't see the other computers in network neighborhood but at least I have the share mapped now.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Go to each computers active network connection. right click and pick properties. Make sure that they all have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printing for Microsoft Networks" both exist and are checkmarked.

ddrueding

Fixture
This is why I hate wireless ;)

Step one should have been:

Plug each computer into the router directly and see if they can see the network.

Don't know why I forgot that one...

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Also, sometimes wireless routers have issues with microsoft networking crossing the barrier between the Wireless and the Wired machines.

Striker

This is why I hate wireless ;)

Step one should have been:

Plug each computer into the router directly and see if they can see the network.

Don't know why I forgot that one...

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a cable long enough to run upstairs and to the server at the other end of the house.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble.

Striker

Any recommendation on where to get XP MCE?
I see Newegg has a system builder version. Are there any real restrictions on that?

ddrueding

Fixture
Any recommendation on where to get XP MCE?
I see Newegg has a system builder version. Are there any real restrictions on that?

IIRC, it is the same as the OEM version. That means that it is tied to one motherboard. You can't move the license to another board/machine. They may also make you buy it with hardware, a pencil sharpener or SATA cable is enough.

Striker

Any reason other than it being Vista that I shouldn't just use my technet to download Vista?
They aren't making XP MCE available to me for some reason.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You might also check Windows Firewall. Check the Exceptions tab and make sure the File and Print sharing box is checked.

Bozo :joker: