Best Partitioning Software?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i just use whatever comes with the OS, FDISK for DOS/win9x, Disk manager for winNT, GNU fdisk for linux.. possibly cfdisk for more user friendly control.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
One thing I never do is use the drive manufacturer's tools! They are notorious for installing unnecessary drive overlay software and invalid partition types that only work under certain senerios.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
blakerwry said:
One thing I never do is use the drive manufacturer's tools! They are notorious for installing unnecessary drive overlay software and invalid partition types that only work under certain senerios.

The invalid partitions only happen when you boot to a CD or Diskette and don't allow the overlay software to load if it gets installed.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Buck said:
blakerwry said:

The invalid partitions only happen when you boot to a CD or Diskette and don't allow the overlay software to load if it gets installed.

hahahah. Are you defending the software? if you want to use the disk in another system or recover data from a floppy/CD or another OS you might be up a creek. Why add an unnecessary layer of complexity and incompatibility?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
You stated that hard drive manufacturers disk utilities are notorious for installing invalid partition types that only work under certain scenarios. My explanation simply outlines the logical sequence in which this happens, as it is not an inherent issue where these utilities make invalid partitions. These utilities do a simple partition and quick format. So, if the overlay software isn't installed, it is akin to you creating a partition and then quick formatting with Disk Management in XP or 2000. It is only when the overlay software is installed do the problems you described occur.