Best remote connection software for a Windows Host?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I've got to do a remote connection to a Windows Vista box. Normally I'm just working between Linux boxes and I use FreeNX if I need a GUI. Now I have to connect to a Windows Vista Box from both Linux & Windows clients.

Since NX can't create servers on Windows machines I have to use RDP or VNC. Does anyone have an opinion as to which is better? I have to go across a very minimal ADSL connection and I'm pretty used to the efficiency of NX, so I'm wondering if anyone has found one protocol superior to the other.

If I went RDP I'd just use the Microsoft Server & Client, and on Linux rdesktop. I'm leaning towards RDP as it seems easiest, but I'm worried RDP is less efficient than even VNC.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to restrict RDP access to certain user accounts, or is opening this up an all or nothing thing?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
It appears I can restrict it to certain users. Posted that before I bothered Googling, sorry...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
RDP is *a lot* more efficient than standard VNC. I'm not sure about how much tuning the various variations and sub-variation have, but VNC in general is a damned pig for bandwidth. I've standardized on TightVNC for my needs, which is supposed to be better for low-bandwidth.

I realize you specified Linux Compatibility, but a VNC-based Windows-only service called Crossloop is amazingly simple and might be of interest to others here. I've become a big fan of it for desktop support.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
RDP is *a lot* more efficient than standard VNC. I'm not sure about how much tuning the various variations and sub-variation have, but VNC in general is a damned pig for bandwidth. I've standardized on TightVNC for my needs, which is supposed to be better for low-bandwidth.

I realize you specified Linux Compatibility, but a VNC-based Windows-only service called Crossloop is amazingly simple and might be of interest to others here. I've become a big fan of it for desktop support.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Note quite for remote connections, but Synergy is cool. If you have 2 PCs/monitors on your desk it lets you seamlessly share a keyboard & mouse without a KVM. Just scroll the mouse off the right side of PC A's monitor & the mouse & keyboard control moves to PC B. Supports multiple monitors and runs on Windows, Mac, and *nix. It even lets the clipboard span machines.

I just set it up to go from PC A's primary to PC A's secondary to PC B's primary.

Gilbo

Storage is cool

Thanks Merc. I've started setting up Windows Remote Desktop, and I'll just use rdesktop from the Linux boxes, that way I don't need to run an RDP & VNC server. I only need it to cross-platform on the client side. To connect to Windows boxes, I'm going to keep using FreeNX.

Incidentally, if RDP is more efficient, why do you bother using VNC? Cross-platform compatibility? I.e. you can use the same software no matter what system you're trying to connect to...

@Fushigi:
Synergy is indeed amazing. I used to use it on two Linux boxes I had, and it was just fantastic.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, I really like it. The only things I've noticed are that my laptop - the secondary machine - never puts the screen to sleep when Synergy is running (I either stop it or dim the screen) and that some apps on the secondary machine - specifically Vista apps run as administrator - don't work with it. I have to answer those (including privilege escalation prompts) or change focus to non-admin apps from the laptop keyboard/mouse & Synergy will resume.