Better luck next time, Wings fans

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I don't mean that facetiously, mind you. It's tough when you run into a hot goalie and a tough defensive team when your team is built for finesse.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't believe it! The Wings are as bump and bang as old Pistons teams. Bunch of thugs if you ask me. I'm pretty conflicted now in that I'm a huge Hull fan.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
:) Tea, the "Wing" you're thinking of is Paul, who is still very much alive, although his wife is not.

As for the Wings... er, the Red Wings, I cannot agree with you Howell that they are anything but finesse. Sure, you got your standard assortment of grinders and warriors like Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Holmstrom, Chelios, etc. but the core of the team is finesse:

- Yzerman (heart and soul, but he couldn't carry them on his back this year)
- Shanahan (has he ever lived up to his power forward label in the last 5 years?)
- Unlucky Luc (nuff said)
- Hull (he is dependent on his center for production)
- Datsyuk (lit up the league the last 30 games of the regular season, but he did deliver when it counted)
- Zetterberg (he's a rookie; I'll forgive him), and of course,
- Fedorov (to have his skill, he should be a top 5 scorer every year, not an underachiever; he must still be heartbroken after Kournikova left him)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
And more than that, Dave Lewis' system is not much different from Bowman's -- left wing lock and puck possession, NOT dump and chase, bump and grind, etc. Their style of play is anything but bump and grind.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Ok, I admit to not following them to closely. I only vaguely remember that Bowman retired.

BTW, are you aware of how many curent Wings played together as Blues? I started getting interested in hockey after I read an article about Hull and Oates playing for the Blues.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Howell said:
BTW, are you aware of how many curent Wings played together as Blues? I started getting interested in hockey after I read an article about Hull and Oates playing for the Blues.

Hull + Shanny + Cujo = 3

... as far as I can remember

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
e_dawg said:
I don't mean that facetiously, mind you. It's tough when you run into a hot goalie and a tough defensive team when your team is built for finesse.

No pity for us. The Wings didn't show up....we deserved to lose. Maybe next year. The Ducks did a great job. Where is that Duckjob sound byte when you need it?

C

e_dawg

Storage Freak
:)

Go Leafs Go indeed, CityK.

Did you see that Tucker hit on Roenick? That was awesome seeing Roenick stumbling around as he tried to get up.

But those were horrible goals Philly scored last night... Can't blame Eddie too much for the last one, as I knew as soon as it went in that Berg tried to block it with his stick and Belfour couldn't pick up the puck as a result. Good old Don Cherry backed me up on that after the game, too.

They gotta get four lines going, dump and chase, and pound the skilled Flyers D-men like Desjardins, Weinrich, and Johnsson, cycle around, and pass the puck out to d-men coming in off the point. Ever notice how many goals have been scored from d-men sneaking in off the point?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
quebec_nordiques.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The place is pretty clean for Colorado in the West now with Detroit out. I don't see any other team able to beat them. I've always liked Roy, the goal-tender of Colorado. I wish he'll win another cup (his fifth?).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handy, I've never been a Boston Bruins fan, but I was a Whalers fan until they moved and changed names - but that was more for regional reasons, I have boat load of family in Connecticut.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Did you see that Tucker hit on Roenick? That was awesome seeing Roenick stumbling around as he tried to get up.
Yep, he got smoked. I wonder if he'll test for concusion today....during the 2nd intermission he told Scott Oak that the hit came a little late .... not like I haven't seen him do that before himself

But those were horrible goals Philly scored last night
I suppose it makes up for all the glorious opportunities they had

... Can't blame Eddie too much for the last one
He got a piece of it...can't win them all
.. Berg..
Everytime Berg and Lumme were out on the ice I cringed. Don't get me wrong, cause I like the two, but they are definitely your last 5th and 6th....and you don't want them logging all the ice time that they are....plus, Lumme isn't playing very well, so I think Berg is feeding off that (all in the wrong way). If Lumme showed a little more confidence with the puck they'd be fine......Wesley is great with McCabe. Great addition....Housley on the other hand....

Ever notice how many goals have been scored from d-men sneaking in off the point?
Yep....it s working out well for Philly - Leaf wingers got to do a better job there.

They gotta get four lines going
Quinn annoys the hell out of me sometimes with his tactics...pretty stupid if Philly has Brasher out there that Leafs don't do the same

and pound the skilled Flyers D-men
I'll give Philly credit for the defensive work they've shown so far. However, I think most of it goes to their forwards back checking and helping out. Further, I'm quite surprised how many times Mogilny (and Sundin a couple of times) has completely undressed the Philly defence. I completely agree with the hitting though...it paid big dividends in game 3.

I certainly wish they had Androptov right now...I think another big guy up front would make a big difference. The other thing would be to just put the puck on Checmanuc (?)...and rattle him - drive to the net like Primeau was.

In terms of Detriot: I felt sorry for Cujo - they couldn't even win one for him. Just hope the Detriot media doesn't attempt to make him their fall guy, cause there are plenty of other places to be pointing fingers.

CK

Handruin

Administrator
Buck, I'm not really a Bruins fan either. I was playing around since others were posting favorite Hocky teams of their area, so I was supporting the east coast.

I've been to more than one Whalers game at the Hartford Civic Center in my time. I grew up in CT, I lived most of my life there. I won't claim to be a Whalers fan, but I would go with my buddies and cheer for them. :)

I used to be a Flyers fan back in the day or Ron Hextall. I remember watching the game he scored his goal...it was a memorable time.

hextall.gif

1987-88: In a 5-2 win over the Boston Bruins, Hextall became the first goaltender to score a goal by shooting the puck into the oppositing net. (December 8, 1987)

http://home.no.net/bastard3/hextallgoal.rm

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I guess now is a good time for the Islanders and Bruins to schedule their annual team golf tuna-mints too.

Mickey

Learning Storage Performance
SteveC said:
GO RANGER... oh wait.
Heh. I haven't been watching the playoffs this year, as my beloved Los Tiburones didn't make it. :(

I was surprised Detroit got swept, though. I heard about it on the radio this morning and my first thought was "there are going to be some cranky people at work today." :D

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I think the most disheartening thing for a Wings fan is not that they lost, but how they lost. Yes, they ran into a white hot goalie for the first couple games, and the trap was giving them fits because they were reluctant to dump and chase, but what Clocker said was true: they started quitting in games 3 and 4. They didn't want it bad enough.

Where was their leadership and pride? How could they go down without a fight? I guess you can't buy desire and hunger (but I thought the Rangers cornered the market on that problem).

SteveC

Storage is cool
e_dawg said:
I guess you can't buy desire and hunger (but I thought the Rangers cornered the market on that problem).

Believe me, the Rangers are unequaled in their ability to throw tons of money at over paid, past-their-prime free agents who perform horribly. They have the highest payroll, and still can't make the playoffs for six years. Just pathetic. It must be something about New York, because the Mets are the masters of doing the same thing in baseball.

Mickey

SteveC said:
Believe me, the Rangers are unequaled in their ability to throw tons of money at over paid, past-their-prime free agents who perform horribly. They have the highest payroll, and still can't make the playoffs for six years. Just pathetic. It must be something about New York, because the Mets are the masters of doing the same thing in baseball.
Oh, you were referring to the New York Rangers throwing money around and not getting much, not the Texas Rangers.

Wait, do I detect another similarity between the teams besides their names? ;)

SteveC

Storage is cool
Looks like the Leafs are done: 6-1 with 4 minutes left. Ouch.

At the start of the playoffs, I would have picked the Devils out of the East, and the Wings out of the West. I still think the Devils will make it to the finals, but I don't know who will make it from the West. Maybe Colorado, if they can win tonight.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
The Leafs suck....Hats off to Philly to played great all series.

I'm a huge hockey fan, but after I turned the game off mid way through the 2nd period tonight, I came to the conclusion that I should do away with hockey (and most other sports for that matter) on a semi-permanant basis . I've spent far too much time of my life over the years to only be dissapointed...not to mention getting carried away and getting frustrated....maybe, in the future, I'll jump on a bandwagon if they (or any other favourite sports team) reach the finals....but there certainly is a lot of better things that I could have done with that (now) lost time.

Sigh.....

e_dawg

Storage Freak
The Leafs do indeed suck. I am actually pissed at them for wasting my time. I turned off the game as soon as it was 2-0 late in the first period. You just knew they were going to lose. In fact, it was a miracle it went to 7 games. The Leafs only really deserved to win one game: Game 4.

How disappointing after last year's heart and soul effort, advancing in consecutive 7 game series against all odds with 10 regulars out of the lineup with injuries... it would have been so nice to eliminate Ottawa from the playoffs 4 years in a row :mrgrn:

fool

To quote the great shanks;
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. Their wrong, it’s far more important than that.”
Granted Ice Hockey is not football (S£$%^r for my American friends) but even so, surely watching a match is better than missing one? Even if you loose. It’s far, far better to know the result ( and today’s result is Man U 4 Real Madrid 3 (5,6 to Madrid on aggregate)what a game) than to fret and worry in ignorance. It’s never a waste of time mr. dawg. And City K if you abandon your team in times of mediocrity and underachievement then, when they win again you will only find a fraction of the satisfaction, the fulfilment, the sheer unbounded and unbridle-able joy in their victory, your victory, that you would have found if you’d stuck by them, stalwart and true, through thick and thin.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
fool, I recognize that, but I think that it is something I am willing to sacrifice.

yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on