BlueDisc Ray

LOST6200

Storage is cool
ARe the new BD writer burners any good for data storeg? DVDs aer too small. Will the tercnology improve anytime soon? Thx.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
They should have 6x single layer and 4x double layer burn speeds in the 3rd quarter for BluRay. Once they can increase the laser power, we should see even faster speeds.

Lot more storage than DVD. But I wouldn't trust it for critical archiving just yet.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I only want then tolast for 5 years. What is the maixmum theoretical 'x' speed when the discs reach 9000 or so RPms? Ecventualy will a full disk be burned as quickly (in minutes, not mGB) as the DVD?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I only want then tolast for 5 years. What is the maixmum theoretical 'x' speed when the discs reach 9000 or so RPms? Ecventualy will a full disk be burned as quickly (in minutes, not mGB) as the DVD?

I would say that 9000 RPms (Revolutions per millisecond) will definately burn up a disk. After all, the outside edge is only traveling at about 7.4 million miles per hour.

ddrueding

Fixture
??? I don't understand the question.

There is a maximum speed at which a plastic disc can spin without shattering. It is roughly equivalent to 52x for CDs and 18x for DVDs. You won't find faster drives, because physics prevents it. If you were waiting to buy into BlueRay until it became commodity hardware, knowing how fast they will max out at is an interesting piece of information.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
1.7 How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps). Blu-ray also has the potential for much higher speeds, as a result of the larger numerical aperture (NA) adopted by Blu-ray Disc. The large NA value effectively means that Blu-ray will require less recording power and lower disc rotation speed than DVD and HD-DVD to achieve the same data transfer rate. While the media itself limited the recording speed in the past, the only limiting factor for Blu-ray is the capacity of the hardware. If we assume a maximum disc rotation speed of 10,000 RPM, then 12x at the outer diameter should be possible (about 400Mbps). This is why the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) already has plans to raise the speed to 8x (288Mbps) or more in the future.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
52X the original CD spec (Red book/Orange book??) of 150KB ps ~ 7.8MB ps