BSOD stop error 124

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My T61 with vista 64 or 32 is throwing up a BSOD stop error 124. It happens most often when I visit Google video, less often for youtube and least for straight up office work.

It started when I turned on VT in the BIOS.

Googling has not got me anywhere. Any ideas?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks.
BIOS is up to date. I've tried both the most updated audio/video drivers and windows installation default. No joy so far.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Do you have a T61 or a T61p? I can put the factory Vista image back on my T61 if it'll help you test.

Just the 61. Wow, I'd appreciate that. I'm using the 64-bit factory image. What is your full model number? Mine: 7658-CTO

It crashes at least once a day.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My current Thinkpad is an 8897-CTO.

I'm running Vista64 Ultimate on a factory image with NortonAV removed. Firefox 3.5.1, Flash 10, Foxit Reader, Kompozer, Word 2007. I haven't updated any drives from whatever the basic load was, but I did all my Windows updates.

I've been sort of randomly switching between Google Video, Youtube, Dailymotion, Hulu and TVshack.net all day as I've used this PC and it seems fine. No BSODs, at least.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
hmm. On a lark I uninstalled all Adobe, nVidia and WD products and it the curse seems to have lifted. Damn you Merc.

Seriously though, I uninstalled Flash around lunch time. And haven't crashed since. I only reinstalled it an hour ago so we'll see.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I upgraded to 351 about 4 hours ago. So far so good though FF crashed once early on. Still testing.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm fighting with someone's intolerable system slowdowns in all web browsing right now. I absolutely believe it's a Flash thing, since the same binaries are used for any browser, but I can't narrow it down to v.9 or v.10 in any particular release, but I'm seeing the issue in IE, Firefox 2 and 3, and in Safari.

The user swears up and down they have a virus and, of course, won't let me wipe their system.

Every day I want Adobe dead more and more.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Even non flash-related web browsing?

I'm still crashing but much less often. Late yesterday Google Docs seemed to be the trigger.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The user swears up and down they have a virus and, of course, won't let me wipe their system.
Try Ccleaner, then ComboFix, Malwabytes, Smitfraudfix, and Avira Anitivir. If they don't catch anything except cookies, tell them to shut up. Don't forget to bill them for all the time spent waiting in front of the computer while the scans complete.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Well kids, my system was last booted 8/1/2009, 10:13:09 PM. This was after returning from a coffee shop and I think it had been up for more than a day before that. I have not actively done anything to try to resolve the issue since my last posted attempt.

I wonder if I got some MS updates that resolved the issue either intentionally or as a by-product. Either way I like it!

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My machine is BSODing again. I have narrowed it down to 1 of 5 windows updates this time. Stay tuned.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
The stop error 0x00000124 shows up every time I install KB971486. I'm just going to not install it for now.

Vista 64

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I just repaired a stop error 7E on a Dell Precision T3400 by uninstalling KB971486. I did the following:

Code:
1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB971486$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type this command: exit

The computer should restart and hopefully your problem will be fixed. Again, go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and properly uninstall KB971486.

Needless to say I'm having some doubts about this update.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
That summitch KB971486 sneaked back onto my machine again with some other updates resulting in stop errors again but at least I could get into safe mode to remove it this time.

Bonus: this thread is the first google hit for "t61 124".

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. That article is for an update that installs but continually shows up as needing to be installed.

I ended up just hiding the update.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well yeah but it is the same KB971486 you are talking about. I am thinking that fixing the update install might fix your problem.