Building a perfect single CD for drivers

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Simple question:
You've got one CD - 700MB - and you need to fit onto that CD hardware drivers of highest utility. We'll limit ourselves to drivers for 98, 2000 and XP, to make things easier, and no vomitbox hardware or printers.

I'm just curious what y'all think should be there.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Add the latest Detonator and Catalyst since most graphic cards you'll encounter will be from either of those two manufacturers. The NForce all-in-one driver v.2.03 should also be part of this CD since this chipset is becoming increasingly popular.

I wonder why Mercutio has left nVidia's drivers out of his CD so far? ;-)

Mercutio

Since I more-or-less have javascript turned off, nvidia's site doesn't function very well.

Besides, I know someone else will link it for me. ;)

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
A whole lot of modem and NIC drivers cause you can download a lot of small stuff from the 'net.

An HTML page with urls to the locations of the drivers.

+ NTSP6a, SP3 for 2K, IE6

Mercutio

ATI Capture Driver for Radeon 7500, 8500, 9000, 9700 (3.27MB)
Catalyst Win2K, XP (3.27MB)
Catalyst for 98 (6.55MB)
ATI Control Panel (4.66MB)
Rage Fury Pro for 9x (12.3MB)

Anyone else wonder why the stupid control panel app is bigger than the driver?

Stuff for ATI 7x00, 8x00, 9x00 VidCap & Optional Stuffs
MS DAO Package (17.2MB)
ATI DVD Player, needs CD (500kb + download)
MMC 8.1 (17.8MB)
MMC 7.7 (1.8MB)
Remote Wonder 1.1
RemoteWonder 1.4 Update

(edited 'cause I kept forgetting those "/"s on the end of my url tags)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Logitech Mouseware.

Something to monitor PC health (CPU temperature & fan speeds) - I carry six different utilities for different manufacturers/chipsets.

Audio drivers - again, there are several different ones.

Via's USB2.0 driver. Due to M$ bull*t, it can't be downloaded.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I question the need for DX9 at this point in time. DX8.1 is a quarter of the size.

Mercutio

DX9 is required for ATI vidcap. Besides, gamer-types get their panties (gamers, your secret is safe with me ;) in a twist when they don't have the latest version of DirectX.

Hard to track who is making current WinModem chips.
Cirrus Became Ambient became Intel
Rockwell became Conexant
Motorola became ???
ESS is still ESS
Lucent is now Agere

Yikes.

I have two machines right now waiting for me to apply Win2000 service packs before Via USB2 will work. I still haven't figured out why I need it.

Dïscfärm

Learning Storage Performance

I maintain a few CD-R/W disc with updaters and installers.

• [*] Acrobat Reader V5.1
    [*] Adaptec ASPI
    [*] Adobe Illustrator Updates
    [*] Adobe Photoshop Updater (V7.0-to-V7.0.1)
    [*] Fonts-PS
    [*] Fonts-TT
    [*] ICC Profiles
    [*] Icon Collection
    [*] MatroxWin2KXP_G2,G4X,G55(V5.88.061)
    [*] M$ Album for PowerPoint
    [*] M$ Dot-NET Framework (V1.1)
    [*] M$ DirectX
    [*] M$ IE6-SP1 Setup (Win2K,XP)
    [*] M$ IntelliTypePro (V2.1)
    [*] M$ Office 2000 SP-3
    [*] M$ Office2000 SR-1A
    [*] M$ Tweak-UI V1.33 & DOS Here
    [*] M$ Visio Updates
    [*] M$ Windows 2000 SP-3
    [*] M$ Windows Media Player 9.0
    [*] M$ WinXP PowerToys
    [*] Mitsubishi DaimondPRO 2040,2060 INF and ICM
    [*] Nero Updater
    [*] QuickTime V6.1.0.16
    [*] RegClean
    [*] Tardis95
    [*] Tweak-UI V1.33 & DOS-Here
    [*] Windows 2000 SP-3
    [*] WinZip V8.1
    [*] Ws_FTP

Also, a separate CD-R/W with IE 6.0 SP-1 along wth all the updates/patches, so that I don't have to download 45 MB of "stuff" if all I have is a 1200 baud modem. OK, I was just kidding about the 1200 baud modem.

Jan Kivar

The JoJo said:
Hmmm, this is beginning to sound like a thread that deffinitely should be archived in the Toolbox, don't you think so too gentlemen?

I'll second that.

Jan

Mercutio

Done.

I'm a little weak on Intel motherboard stuff. AMD/Via boards all have more or less the same stuff (Realtek LAN/Audio, Via or NEC USB2...) but Intel can't seem to be bothered to be uniform.

honold

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
Done.

I'm a little weak on Intel motherboard stuff. AMD/Via boards all have more or less the same stuff (Realtek LAN/Audio, Via or NEC USB2...) but Intel can't seem to be bothered to be uniform.

if being uniform means using realtek anything, i'm glad they're not.

Mercutio

RealTek stuff is perfectly serviceable, honold. Sound is acceptable, and I've had fewer problems with RTL8139As than recent 3Com cards.

I managed to track down full sets of Intel, Agere, Conexant, PCTel and ESS WinModem drivers. I'm not going to bother with USR. At this point, USR is actually WORSE for making multiple variations of cards than the WinModem guys, and I'm about 10x more likely to find a PCTel or a Lucent modem.

I've already got a pretty good application CD, but of course it's mostly registered (i.e. not pirated, that's still another disc) software, so that's one I can't just leave laying around.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
How about putting all this on a winPE disk?

That takes up 145MB, but it allows basically anything you can do in DOS, but with the Networking support(incl. drivers) and NTFS support of winXP.

You can do ghost (ghost 7.5 has a winPE version as a free upgrade)... You can also use some web browsers, FTP proggies, and file managers from winPE.

Mercutio

I ended up with 2 CDs of essential drivers. I bookmarked the pages where I found them, and I plan to update them monthly as needed.

I have two OTHER CDs of applications. One of non-free but nonetheless essential stuff like ghost, another that's completely free, that I give away like popcorn.

Seems to me we could have a WinPE thread here. I toyed with the idea of making one, then forgot about it until I read this just now.

honold

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
RealTek stuff is perfectly serviceable, honold. Sound is acceptable, and I've had fewer problems with RTL8139As than recent 3Com cards.
realtek lan is 100% crap, and i couldn't cross-reference it with 3com because i never buy their products either

Dïscfärm

I maintain a 700 MB CD-R/W disc with updaters and installers.

This is my latest "Toolbox CD" file listing:

• [*]Acrobat Reader V6.0

[*] Adaptec ASPI (V4.71A2)

[*] Adobe Illustrator Updates

[*] Adobe Photoshop Updater (V7.0-to-V7.0.1)

[*] Fonts-PS

[*] Fonts-TT

[*] ICC Profiles

[*] Icon Collection

[*] Kodak PhotoDesk (V3.1.0.10)

[*] Matrox Win2KXP G2,G4x,G55 (V5.88.061)

[*] Matrox Win2KXP P650,P750 (V1.04.01.003)

[*] M$ Album for PowerPoint

[*] M$ Dot-NET Framework (V1.1)

[*] M$ IE6-SP1 Full Install (Win2K,XP)

[*] M$ IntelliTypePro (V2.2)

[*] M$ Office 2000 SP-3

[*] M$ Office2000 SR-1A

[*] M$ Tweak-UI V1.33 & DOS Here

[*] M$ Visio Updates

[*] M$ Windows 2000 SP-4

[*] M$ Windows Media Player V9.0 Full Install

[*] Mitsubishi DiamondPRO 2040,2070 INF and ICM

[*] Nero V5.5 Updater (V5.5.10.42)

[*] QuickTime Full Install (V6.3.0.17)

[*] RegClean

[*] Tardis95

[*] Tweak-UI V1.33 & DOS-Here

[*] WinZip V8.1

[*] Ws_FTP

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Our driver CD has everything that we use often enough to be worth putting on the main CD. I try to leave out stuff that just chews up space and doesn't get used very often. But first, a word about the general organisation of the other CDs we keep around and use often: Win 2000 SP 4, Win XP Home SP2, Win XP Pro SP2, IE 6, Office 2000. These all have their own CDs: plain vanilla from the factory. (Or copies of, of course, so as not to scratch up the real thing.)

All the utility stuff, however, lives on the Win 98SE install CDs. These contain:

ROOT FOLDER:
Ad-Aware
latest Ad-Aware defs.ref
DiskState (very old no-nag, no install version - the link is to the current bloatware instead)
Hijackthis
LSPfix
Spybot
Spywareblaster (haven't really tried this properly yet)
Startuplist
the usual Win98 SE install files

BROWSERS FOLDER:
Acrobat 5.x ('cause 6.x is so bloated and horrible)
Firefox
Flash (practically never use this)
Mozilla
MSVBVM60.dll (for Hijackthis and other stuff)
Netscape 4.76 (just for the email app, which a lot of people still use)
Open Office
Opera
PMView (shareware version)
Thunderbird
Winzip 7 ('cause 8 is so bloated and horrible)

TOOLS FOLDER:
Maxtor's big drive enabler (for >128GB drives on W2K and etc)
MSConfig (the XP one, runs on W2K)
NTConfig (freeware, similar purpose to MSConfig)
Tweakui

DRIVERS FOLDER:
About 6 assorted Detonator drivers
About 3 assorted Hyperion drivers
Netcom internal modem driver
Assorted Rockwell external modem drivers
Couple of other common modem drivers
VIA sound & video drivers for older boards (KT-133A vintage stuff)
Generic Realtek NIC drivers, one size fits all
Logitech mouse drivers (Huh? what are they still doing there? Haven't used them since Win95 days. There is something I can delete to make more room.)

Why have all this on the W98 CD?

Because until quite recently, it was more common to install W98 than any other OS. With any luck, you could do the entire job without swapping CDs around. And if you were doing a non-Win 98 install (W95, W2K, XP), then you still only needed 2 CDs.

For a long, long time, we managed to organise it such that we didn't even need to take the lid off for a reinstall: everything we built had a VIA chipset (Hyperions), Nvidia-based video card (Dets), Realtek NIC, and Netcom or other same-chipset internal modem. So you could just load the usual stuff and everything would work.

Now, alas, we are selling quite a few Nforce III and Nforce IV boards, and various different modems. When these systems start coming back for the inevitabe reinstalls, we will have to update the driver CD to deal with them. At present, there is no need, as we are doing new builds with them and just use the factory driver CDs.

Why not put IE 6 on the W98 CD? Because our local ISP is forever sending us half a dozen fresh copies of their install CD, which we never use for its intended purpose (we always set up an internet connection manually - install CD's always get stuff wrong) and we have enough drink coasters already. Besides, they are a really bright red colour, so they are always easy to find when you need one.

What about CD burning software? We keep maybe 20 different versions of Nero, Easy CD Cremator, and etc. handy. This is becauise you have to be careful not to go pirating stuff by mistake and we try to match up the version with the one that think probably shipped with the drive originally.

Finally, we have a CD with Winwall (a neat little freeware wallpaper changer) and a selection of Tannin's wildlife pictures. This stays on its own CD because I'm only allowed to put it on the machines of people we particularly like. (Must remember to make more copies: we keep losing the damn thing.)

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tea said:
Acrobat 5.x ('cause 6.x is so bloated and horrible)

Have you found the version 7 series to be any better?

One thing I am hating about Acrobat V7 so far is that, if you turn off JavaScript, it pops up a moronically worded message every time you close the application:

"This document contains JavaScripts. Do you want to enable JavaScripts from now on? The document may not behave correctly if they're disabled."

WTF?

A) You'll even get this message if you turn off JavaScript within Acrobat Professional. And the Linux version of Acrobat Reader.

B) You get this message only when you're ending your session with Acrobat. Wouldn't this message make more sense during the application startup? Or, heaven forbid, when you load the rare PDF that actually contains JavaScript? That's right -- this message can be an outright lie. You'll see this message even if the document you were working on when you closed Acrobat didn't actually contain any JavaScript.

C) You get this message even if there's no document actually loaded when you exit Acrobat!

D) After first installing V7, I went intentionally into Acrobat's "Preferences" section and unselected the option "Enable Acrobat JavaScript". That should be the end of the story. To have something routinely display some bogus warning message after I've made my preferences known (that's supposed to be why the menu option is called "Preferences") is an application design error.

E) The reason I disable the JavaScript option is because I still remember the JavaScript-induced web-browser vulnerabilities that turned up incessantly during the late 1990's. This little warning message from Acrobat seems to imply Adobe thinks they're above having problems with JavaScript exploits. But wait ... what's this? What does this Adobe Security Advisory #331710 say?

Code:
Details: The vulnerability is within the Adobe Reader control. If an XML script is embedded in JavaScript, it is possible to discover the existence of local files. An attacker could then use the information gathered for malicious purposes.

In other words, "You can trust us. Just ignore our own security advisories. We know what's best for you, little boy."

That's classic Adobe.

Mercutio

Version 7 works pretty well. Loads a metric assload faster, and is less annoying about leaving parts of itself running when you close an acrobat window/tab.

However, I hate the AcroExch plugin Adobe made for Moz-based browsers with a fiery passion. In particular, I hate that it only downloads the single page you're reading... It seems slow even over a 10Mbit connection.

So if you go to Tools > Options > Downloads, you can change the default action for when you happen to open a .PDF in your browser. A good, sensible action to take is to open them with AcroRd32 rather than AcroExch. Your PDFs will open in the slightly less stupid full Acrobat program, rather than a browser Window.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The Acrobat plugin is designed to allow you to start viewing the PDF before it has finished downloading. This works great if the creator of the PDF has optimised it for this purpose. Pretty much nobody optimises their PDFs for any purpose, let alone online viewing.