Can I revive my Sony Trinitron?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm pretty sure a power surge caused it as the alarm on the surge protector in the other room is beeping like hell telling me to replace it.

My 27" Sony Trinitron TV is dead now. It just won't power on. Nothing happens when I hit the power button. I see a small 6.3A 125V inline fuse which appears to be OK. Anything else I might try to revive this thing before I take it to the TV repair shop? How much $ do you think it will take to fix it? My friend at work said it take $150 to fix almost everything at the Sony service center.

I wish I would have remembered to put a surge protector on the TV. I am really glad I have this voltage regulating UPS now as my PC was surely running during the surge.

Clocker

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Your chances are fairly good, I think. Surges tend to take out the power supply side of things first and it's unusual to get too much damage further down the line. (Not impossible, mind you, just less common.)

In general, power supplies, being straightforward analogue electronics, are easy and cheap to fix. On the other hand, Sony are known for being miserly bastards when it comes to making spare parts and service information available, so don't hope too hard. :(

I have friends who do TV and VCR repairs and they say that Sonys don't break very often, but when they do the suckers are really difficult to get parts for (long delays, ordering bits from Japan, lots of paperwork involved) and that Sony's prices are outrageous. This information is a couple of years out of date now, so I hope it's no longer true!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Well, I got the call today. THe TV is repaired and ready for my pickup. $166 was the damage. Not too bad I guess. I'm sure it probably only cost a fractino of that to repair it but they are in it to make money I guess.

Time to pick it up tomorrow and but a surge protector!

Clocker