Can't delete a folder

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Somehow I have a problem moving bookmarks from FF4 to IE9 and in doing so it created a bad folder. I can delete everything in the folder except for this, says the file/folder can't be found. There is nothing in the folder. Can't change the read only properties either. Logged in as admin and security permissions can't be displayed for that folder. Logged in as another admin and same thing.

C:\Users\{my username}\Favorites\From Internet Explorer\Car\BMW

Ran checkdisk and it says it found no problems.

Ideas? Other disk utilities?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
working in powershell:

PS C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer> del car -force

Confirm
The item at C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer\car has children and the Recurse parameter was not
specified. If you continue, all children will be removed with the item. Are you sure you want to continue?
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
Remove-Item : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer\car\BMW'.
At line:1 char:4
+ del <<<< car -force
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Users\Jimmy ...et explorer\car:String) [Remove-Item], DirectoryNotFoundE
xception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RemoveItemIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

PS C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer> rd -force

cmdlet Remove-Item at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Path[0]: C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer\car
Path[1]:

Confirm
The item at C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer\car has children and the Recurse parameter was not
specified. If you continue, all children will be removed with the item. Are you sure you want to continue?
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
Remove-Item : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer\car\BMW'.
At line:1 char:3
+ rd <<<< -force
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Users\Jimmy ...et explorer\car:String) [Remove-Item], DirectoryNotFoundE
xception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RemoveItemIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand

PS C:\Users\Jimmy Hoffa\favorites\from internet explorer>

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The real issue is apparently is my profile in firefox has some problems, but works fine in day to day use.

Both IE and safari importing bookmarks have trouble doing a direct import of bookmarks from firefox, neither one comes up with the complete list and both appear to have the same incomplete list. IE has the additional benefit of corrupting the hard drive (above problem).

If I first export my bookmarks to a bookmark.html file IE can't import it and reports errors. Safari imports it no problem.

Previously I had the same problem with IE8.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The goal was to import my bookmarks to my ipad/iphone. itunes won't import from firefox directly.

Firefox 4 > IE9 or IE8 = corrupted drive / unable to import complete bookmarks to itunes/ipad/iphone.
Firefox 4 > Safari 5 = unable to import complete bookmarks to itunes/ipad/iphone, but no errors
Firefox 4 > bookmark.html > IE9 = failure to import error
Firefox 4 > bookmark.html > Safari 5 > itunes > ipad/iphone = no problem.

I could care less about IE9 having a corrupted file in the favorites, would be nice to fix it though.

Not really sure if there is something wrong with firefox, at the moment I figure the stuff that doesn't import directly is due to Safari 5, IE8, IE9 not supporting importing from Firefox 4. The folders and items that were missing were recently added/modified stuff.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Just a thought... if you booted using an alternate OS (or system) could you then access the drive to delete the file/folder? Using a Ubuntu trial session for example... ;)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Have you tried these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

Or a Taz mentioned, try a using Linux to mount the filesystem and delete the folder.

But either you have a corrupt MFT (which IMHO, a reformat is the best option), or the ACLs for the folder are fubar. The other option (which I would discount if you have rebooted) is that an application has locked the folderm (which tha same as trying to delete an open file).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Just a thought... if you booted using an alternate OS (or system) could you then access the drive to delete the file/folder? Using a Ubuntu trial session for example... ;)

Can you recommend me something that will boot a CD to the OS and I can work with the NTFS disks I have? I am really out of the loop on that. Checked out the suggested and I don't see a simple bootable disk download unless I am missing it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Have you tried these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

Or a Taz mentioned, try a using Linux to mount the filesystem and delete the folder.

But either you have a corrupt MFT (which IMHO, a reformat is the best option), or the ACLs for the folder are fubar. The other option (which I would discount if you have rebooted) is that an application has locked the folderm (which tha same as trying to delete an open file).

Looking into this now.

The thing is I JUST reformatted this computer for the same thing, under IE8. Of course it was time and there were a number of other things I wanted to fix like SP1 not installing but that was one of the reasons. Now same thing with IE9.

IMO really there should be no possible way to import bookmarks, have a problem and corrupt the file system. The IE/Explorer integration really fell on its ass here.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Cause 1: The file uses an ACL = I can't take ownership of this folder. I can't even view the bmw folders security settings, errors out.

Not a deep path.

Not in use.

I found out that if I put things in that corrupted bmw folder I suddenly show two folders with the same bmw name in the car directory. Both show the same contents. Going to try another checkdisk with that, that should be something it picks up on.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Linux Mint can read and write to NTFS. You can download a boot-able
disk from here.
Yellow Fiber Networks seems to have decent speed.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I meant a linux version that would boot and RUN off the DVD. I don't need to partition and install a distro to disk just to fix this issue.

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Many versions of Linux are both LiveCDs and installers. Ubuntu, for example.

+1

Exactly, this is what I was referring to when I said "Ubuntu trial version" the downloaded ISO DVD can load to memory (albeit a little slowly) and run without any alteration to your existing system BUT you need to choose the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option ;)

trynoinstallubuntu.jpg

More information @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I use a USB flash drive to boot Linux live CDs, it's much faster than booting off a CD or DVD. All the major distros support this.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, the last time I tried that sort of thing I think the bootable disk was a seperate download. This will be cool to check out again.