Certifications

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I've been talking and asking about these a few times earlier. For once I have some good news (for me) :) .

I just completed the tests for CLP (Certified Lotus Professional) certification (Testing Domino applications and installing/configuring/administering domino test lab).

I also took the first LPI test (passed it too :) ), and plan to take the next ones in a few weeks.

I'll probably take the MCP (215?) test before summer, and plan to take the CCNA after the summer.

Dunno how much they will help me someday, but whattahell. I feel good for passing the tests (4 tests so far, 3 domino and the LPI)!

Too bad the work situation here in Turku is so lousy! :( For every one job available here, there are about 20-30 in the capital (160km from here).

Bartender drinks on me for everyone!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
IIRC you can make MCP by passing exam 210 (administering and implementing win2k Pro). The win2k Server exam is a little bit harder (still easy if you know your stuff).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Really, honestly, 210 and 215 are practically the same test. 218 is kind of hard. Administering Network Infrastructure is a total PITA 'cause it asks about a ton of stuff you never have to mess with.

Anyway, I go back and forth about how valuable certs are. Right now I've got a couple of students that think they should be certified just because they come to class. They'll never make it, which I suppose shows that not everyone can do it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Really, honestly, 210 and 215 are practically the same test. 218 is kind of hard. Administering Network Infrastructure is a total PITA 'cause it asks about a ton of stuff you never have to mess with.

Anyway, I go back and forth about how valuable certs are. Right now I've got a couple of students that think they should be certified just because they come to class. They'll never make it, which I suppose shows that not everyone can do it.

What's a little more sad is that my current boss used to think you are certified just because you went to class.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm thinking about going for the 215.

Good to know they aren't that far apart.

Howell, no THAT'S sad! When passing a cert test doesn't necessarily prove anything, the going to a class...

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I may be certifiable, :D , but I'm not certified in anything right now. The company and I agreed that I would pursue CISSP certification and they would pay for it (training + tests). My manager and I concluded that it would be good for the company to have a CISSP certified person on staff. Something good to tell the clients when making our IT presentation.

However, so far my schedule hasn't allowed me to start training for it. My current project load is too heavy to allow me the time off for classes.

AS/400-wise, IBM started offering certs a few years ago. There are a lot of takers, but I've never bothered and it hasn't hurt my career any.

I'm in a senior technical position, 1 step below management, and that's exactly where I want to be. Valuable to the company, able to make a serious contribution, and still able to forget work most evenings and weekends.

- Fushigi

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I past the three remaining LPI tests last week, and therefore got the LPIC-2 certification. I took the tests the same day, as I thought I was familiar enough with the subject.

I'm a happy puppy :) !
Especially since my employer payed for them. ;)

And now I'm going for the MS 215 test, the 2K Server. Probably take it in the next three weeks, if I find the time. Should be a subject I'm quite familiar with.

Drinks on me bartender!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Just got my MCP from the 70-215 test.
The test took a really long time to complete, as every question had quite a long scenario describing the situation.

And I have just been informed that I and 9 others have been sold to another company. The rest, 20+, will start negotiations next week about their future, which doesn't look good as the company will most likely be shut down. :(

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I'm thinking about going for Sun Solaris system administration I and II tests in the next few months. I'll probably do the 2.8 because that's the one we use at work, and maybe later do an "upgrade" certification test to v9.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about these tests?

Mercutio

I know the first exam looks dead simple. I have study materials I can email you. Are you still at the same address?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Fushigi said:
The company and I agreed that I would pursue CISSP certification and they would pay for it (training + tests).
Done! :beer: It's a painful test*, but I passed first time around. I took the Common Body of Knowledge class in June and the test in July. Found out I passed. Got another CISSP to endorse my credentials (verifies work experience, etc.). Even then ISC2 reserves the right to audit and reject so I hadn't considered it final until yesterday when I got my card and 'certificate suitable for framing'.

At the end of 2003, only 23,000 people worldwide held the cert, so it's nowhere near as common at MCSE and other technology certs.

Now, to see if I'll get a raise for taking it on...

* 250 questions over 6 hours. The questions are worded so that there may be several right answers but you have to pick the best right answer. I took about 5.5 hours to finish & re-check everything. Massively brain-dead afterwards. Wasn't sure if I'd pass or not.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Congrats, Fushigi! I know it's a very valued credential out there, and with the way things are going in the workd, it will only become more so. Way to go!

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Congrats, JoJo and Fushigi!

On that note, I don't think I told you guys that I finished my MBA in Dec 20003. Another successful graduate on SF :)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
e_dawg said:
On that note, I don't think I told you guys that I finished my MBA in Dec 20003. Another successful graduate on SF :)
And here I though it was a tad early for Y20K problems. :D

Congrats to e_dawg and thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Mercutio

Yup. CISSP is a big deal, and a ton of work. Congratulations and I hope you're justly rewarded for you efforts.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
The JoJo said:
I past the three remaining LPI tests last week, and therefore got the LPIC-2 certification. I took the tests the same day, as I thought I was familiar enough with the subject.

I was the second person in Finland to make LPIC-2. Don't know how many there are now.
The pass/failure rate here had been something like 40-50% failure/test.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
Congratulations and I hope you're justly rewarded for you efforts.
Well, for starters I am getting that new laptop. :) Even if there's no raise associated with it, my employer paid for the class ($2600) & the test ($500) and will generally pay for most things related to maintaining a certification like this. For CISSP that includes 140 CPE credits over 3 years + annual dues. To get some of the CPEs I've also joined ISSA. Attending their monthly meetings will count for around half the required CPEs. Conferences, classes, etc. will likely make up the rest.

The first conference I'll be attending is Information Security Decisions, a freebie in Chicago in October. I'm also probably going to attend infosecurity 2004 in New York.

The 10 functional areas of the CISSP exam are:
* Access Control Systems & Methodology
* Applications & Systems Development
* Business Continuity Planning
* Cryptography
* Law, Investigation & Ethics
* Operations Security
* Physical Security
* Security Architecture & Models
* Security Management Practices
* Telecommunications, Network & Internet Security
From the list it's easy to see why the test is difficult. Few people go into this with a deep knowledge of all subjects. Most only know 2 or 3 well. The test itself is not technical. It is vendor-neutral and politically neutral. CISSP is a world-wide cert and as such does not speak to the laws and customs of any one land nor to the products and standards of any particular vendor. The test is a mile wide and an inch deep.

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Yay, passed the Sun Directory Server certification test today!
If that doesn't ring a bell, just think LDAP and you got it. ;)

Did the Sun Solaris 9 admin 1 testi, and doing the second part in about a month. Although we mostly use 8 at work, administration for 8 and 9 is so similar (the same really) that I opted doing the Solaris 9 test.

Merc, thanks for your help!

I've been asking for our company to pay for these tests for about a year now, and now got the green light for these! Finally...

After this, maybe weblogic...

Bartender, drinks on me! Let's party!

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Congrats, JoJo! I feel your pain about trying to get your employer to pay for the training. I'm very lucky my current manager and employer believe in professional development, but I have worked places before where the training opportunities were close to non-existent.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, employers seem to have hardly any interest in professional development these days. I wonder if our Indian friends have the same sort of attitude?

Congratulations JoJo.

Mercutio

Did I do anything that helped on that Sun cert?

I don't remember doing anything helpful. I looked for some practice stuff but I don't recall finding any.

Oh well. Congratulations JoJo!

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
One more down, I got the Sun Solaris 9 admin cert. Now if I only got permission (and financial help :) ) to do RHCE..

How about you others, have you done some interesting tests lately?