Clocker: What is this SHEP stuff?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Came across some info about SHEP Technologies (http://www.shepinc.com/). Stored Hydraulic Energy Propulsion. Developed by an independent inventor, Ford is apparently deep into this technology. Claims of 32% better acceleration, 38% better mileage, 51% less pollution, brake maintenance down by 77%, engine wear down by 38%. (Claims were made in some junk mail received from a third party).

If it truly can live up to even half the claims, the entire transportation industry will get on the bandwagon.

Heard of it? Thoughts? Comments?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Forgot to add: uses an Ifield Pump/Motor (IPM) "the most efficient hydraulic pump/motor available". I presume people in the hydraulics field should have heard about the IPM then.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It may not answer your question, but I suggested another, in my opinion more feasible, approach to accomplish essentially the same thing:

jtr1962 in one of his more lucid moments said:
I don't know why Detroit continues to market cars with big engines. The problem is that the cars are stupidly designed, which is why they claim to need big engines. For a 10-second burst of acceleration every now and then you don't need a big engine, you need a way of storing energy, and you also need a more efficient way of delivering it to the wheels. A completely electric transmission would fit the bill. Current mechanical transmissions force the engine of an accelerating car to spend most of it's time outside it's peak power RPM. As a result, on average maybe only half the power is delivered to the wheels when accelerating, even though the steady state efficiency of the transmission might be over 90%. Electric motors can deliver 90% of the engine's power to the wheels when accelerating, so suddenly your peak power requirement drops from, say 200 HP to 110 HP. Since the peak power is only needed for a few seconds, you can use capacitors instead of the engine. Capacitor technology has matured to the point where their use in electrics or electic-gas hybrids makes sense. Net result is that your engine now only needs to supply the average power needed, not the peak. For a normal vehicle(not an SUV), this might be on the order of 30 HP(mayber 35 HP for AC and other accessories. So now suddenly you can replace 200 HP engines with 35 HP ones and most drivers will notice no change whatsoever in how their vehicle performs. Additionally, you can recapture most of the kinetic energy when stopping through regenerative braking. Since the engine will usually be running at one speed, no energy will be wasted speeding it up or slowing it down(also less wear and tear on it). Top speed may be less, but how many people actually drive over 80 MPH anyhow? Good aerodynamics and low-rolling coefficient tires will still allow a 35 HP vehicle to reach 125 MPH, which is plenty for normal driving. Why aren't vehicles made this way? Beats me, we've had the technology for over a decade.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gas/electric and Gas/hydraulic hybrids are one way to address your concerns. SHEP ic claimed to be superior to Gas/Electric in many ways. What amazes me is nobody has commented on this thread other than you. If the claims are indeed true, this is big news.

Where are the car buffs? e-dawg, Tannin, the sextuplets from Houston???

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
...SHEP ic claimed to be superior to Gas/Electric in many ways...
Well, someone was telling me about this system about 1+ years ago, and my comment then was, "Compression of a liquid???" As you may very well know, compression of liquid is very very hard, though not impossible, as scientists know that water at the deepest depths of the ocean has been proven to be ever so slightly compressed.

Of course, what this SHEP poop is all about, is the simple conversion of kinetic energy into potential energy and then back to kinetic energy when needed. A working system was shown of this back in the 1970s with a braking system that essentially accelerated a high potential flywheel. The slow-spinning fairly heavy and fairly large diameter flywheel was coupled to the drivetrain via a high ratio gearbox.

Where are the car buffs? e-dawg, Tannin, the sextuplets from Houston???
By the way, there are NiNe of me! I thought there were 10 of me, but I confirmed a little while back -- after the avatar corruption ordeal -- that I had to re-upload *only* 9 instances of me (whew!).

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Splash, yes all this is old news. That "flywheel stores energy" concept had some serious money behind it too; one of the founders of Compaq (forget his name) put oodles of his money; his brother, who was a scientist with many patents was also involved. In the end, the dangers outweighed the benefits and the company was closed. The danger was that the super heavy flywheel spinning at 35k RPM might come loose from it's mountings and slice through he chassis like a hot butter through knife.

What makes this news different is that it is claimed that Ford is in it up to their eyeballs, and they will be releasing vehicles to the market next year.

I thought Clocker, being in the industry, might know what his competitors are up to. But he seems to be maintaining a studied silence! :roll:

Hey, and my apologies to the three of you I missed out on - no offence intended. :oops:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
That "flywheel stores energy" concept had some serious money behind it too; one of the founders of Compaq (forget his name) put oodles of his money; his brother, who was a scientist with many patents was also involved. In the end, the dangers outweighed the benefits and the company was closed. The danger was that the super heavy flywheel spinning at 35k RPM might come loose from it's mountings and slice through he chassis like a hot butter through knife.

I remember reading about this in Popular Science in the 1980s. Ultimately, I think what killed the idea was a combination of cheap gas prices coupled with advances in electronic components like GTOs and capacitors. It was possible to contain the flywheel if it failed(they even showed some pictures of a deliberately destroyed flywheel that stayed inside it's housing).

In the end using electric motors for propulsion probably provides more advantages than SHEP. You still have regenerative braking, but the motors are more amenable to precision control to prevent wheelslip(already done on AC electric and diesel-electric locomotives). You also get rid of a bunch of heavy mechanical components. In effect, a system with electric motors has built-in traction control and antilock braking, and power to each wheel can be independently controlled. Also, the basic electric motor platform is more versatile. It can be powered from an engine-powered generator, a fuel cell, or a battery, and can thus be used across a whole line of vehicles. It is only a matter of time before fuel cell and battery powered vehicles approach and surpass the market share of fossil-fuel engined vehicles, so any platform that can be adapted to multiple uses will be more successful. How soon this occurs depends partly on the price of fuel and partly on the public demanding that Detroit produce such vehicles.

P.S. I have personal stake in this. I went for a walk last night and the air smell terrible. The sooner we go to ZEVs the better.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
im glad the air smells nice here. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live somewhere where the air constantly smelled like smog.. exhaust...etc...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
jtr1962 said:
P.S. I have personal stake in this. I went for a walk last night and the air smell terrible. The sooner we go to ZEVs the better.

I better stop driving around your neighborhood with my Diesel. :)

.Nut

Learning Storage Performance
mubs said:
Splash, yes all this is old news. That "flywheel stores energy" concept... ...The danger was that the super heavy flywheel spinning at 35k RPM might come loose from it's mountings and slice through he chassis like a hot butter through knife...
Heh... I guess that was in the '80s, and not the late '70s after all.

35kRPM!?! Yoikes! I guess that after the inventors started playing with all the physical and operating parameters that they settled on a small space saving but fiercely spinning and massive flywheel.

As for safety, my long-time take on the flywheel thingamajig was to surround the flywheel housing (chamber) with a well-anchored dense fiberglass net to quickly subdue the spinning beast just in case it went berserk for whatever reason.

In the world of drag racing, flywheel safety is something the dragster, funny car, and pro stock people -- in particular -- pay a good deal of attention to. They wrap the bell housing with a blanket to stop or slow down shrapnel from disintegrating flywheels and clutches.

And speaking of drag racing and flywheels, I faintly recall hearing about a "flywheel dragster" that only used a spinning flywheel to power its way down the dragstrip. Obviously, it was externally powered-up just before the race began and likely used a fluid clutch (torque convertor) or a centrifugal friction clutch. This may have been about 10 or 15 years ago.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I hear my grandad had a gyroscope mounted in the trunk of his jeep. I know what a gyroscope is and this is not the same thing is it?

honold

Storage is cool
blakerwry said:
im glad the air smells nice here. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live somewhere where the air constantly smelled like smog.. exhaust...etc...

kansas or missouri?

honold

Storage is cool
i'm having a friend at rausch motors look into how serious the ford claims are

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
blakerwry said:
I live in the burbs south of kansas city, Kansas... near the south-west corner of the I435 loop that surrounds kansas city.

I have driven that loop once. Nice little town...from the freeway.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
SOrry I haven't been posting here. I've been busy and have just been able to post a little in the comps. forum.

I've heard about the hydraulic storage of energy but never took it too seriously. While it does sound somewhat interesting, I think fuel cell technology is where the real progress will be made and the biggest gains are to be had. The investment in technologies such as batteries and hydraulics are more wisely invested in a real solutions rather than a band-aids that just helps efficiency; incrementally.

JMO. :)

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
God damn that was some shitty grammar. Can you tell I'm rushed? :oops:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Helloooo there, and thanks for posting. Yes, I agree fuel-cell is where it's at. A decade or so down the road. In the interim, hybrid solutions are better than status quo, no?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
Helloooo there, and thanks for posting. Yes, I agree fuel-cell is where it's at. A decade or so down the road. In the interim, hybrid solutions are better than status quo, no?

The term "throwing good money after bad" down a hole comes to mind. I was just thinking of the heat that would be generated trying to compress a liquid. That's an obstacle by itself.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Methinks some of you are jumping the gun without knowing more. Ford wouldn't have signed on if implementation would have been difficult / not worthwhile.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
jtr1962 said:
For a 10-second burst of acceleration every now and then you don't need a big engine, you need a way of storing energy, and you also need a more efficient way of delivering it to the wheels.... For a normal vehicle(not an SUV), this might be on the order of 30 HP(mayber 35 HP for AC and other accessories. So now suddenly you can replace 200 HP engines with 35 HP ones and most drivers will notice no change whatsoever in how their vehicle performs.
What about hills? Can this SHEMP system store enough energy to propel a typical 1500 kg auto up a 6% grade for 10-12 minutes at highway speeds?

honold

Storage is cool
verified with rausch motors guy that ford is actively developing on the technology in a nearby plant, but cars shouldn't be expected on it for years

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
LunarMist said:
jtr1962 said:
For a 10-second burst of acceleration every now and then you don't need a big engine, you need a way of storing energy, and you also need a more efficient way of delivering it to the wheels.... For a normal vehicle(not an SUV), this might be on the order of 30 HP(mayber 35 HP for AC and other accessories. So now suddenly you can replace 200 HP engines with 35 HP ones and most drivers will notice no change whatsoever in how their vehicle performs.
What about hills? Can this SHEMP system store enough energy to propel a typical 1500 kg auto up a 6% grade for 10-12 minutes at highway speeds?

It doesn't need to. A 35HP engine has enough reserve power to do that on it's own provided the car is designed with a low drag coefficient(~0.2) and fairly low rolling resistance tires. I'm doing the example with a 4% gradient as 6% gradients simply don't exist on any Interstate highways:

Approximate vehicle drag @ 60 mph(level) = 0.007*3300 + 0.0024CAV² = 23.1 + 54.4 = 77.5 lbs

Propulsive HP needed(level) = 77.5*60/375 = 12.4 HP

Additional Gradient Force = 0.06 * 3300 = 132 lbs

Total Propulsive Force(@60 mph, 4% gradient) = 209.5 lbs

Propulsive HP needed(60 mph, 4% gradient) = 209.5*60/375 = 33.5 HP

Note that the Interstate Highway system was designed with 3% gradients maximum so that buses and trucks could maintain speed uphill, so even my reduction of the gradient to 4% represents a greater than worst case scenario. On a 3% gradient a 35 HP, 1500kg car would be able to maintain about 64 mph allowing 5 HP for transmission losses. In all examples I'm assuming a frontal area of 31.5 ft² and a drag coefficient of 0.2. I know 35 HP won't work with an SUV, but such abominably inefficient vehicles have no business being made in large numbers. If the typical SUV owner really believes height and weight make them safer, they should stick to buses and trains instead of these obnoxious gas guzzlers.

A couple of other factors work in my favor, anyway. First of all, 1500kg is way too heavy for a car. There is zero reason why any 4 to 6 passenger vehicle should weigh that much. Liberal use of composites, styrofoam crash protection, use of plastic windows, the elimination of heavy drivetrain components by using SHEMP in the first place, and the fact that a 35 HP engine weighs hundreds of pounds less than a 200 HP one should bring the empty weight of such a vehicle under 700 kg or less. Second, frontal area and drag coefficient can certainly be reduced well below my numbers without any sacrifice in either comfort or driveability. Third, the car can pick up speed before reaching the hill so that this stored kinetic energy can be used to maintain a higher average speed up the hill than the car's power plant alone is capable of(trucks and buses do this all the time). Counting all these factors, my hypothetical car would be able to maintain 80+ mph even up your 6% gradient with 35 HP.

I'm really surprised Ford is actively pursuing the SHEP system since this type of system is really only useful on fossil-fuel engined cars. Within a decade or less I'm guessing such cars will be the minority, with the rest being either battery, solar, or fuel cell powered(or some combination of all three). Therefore, it makes more sense to develop a platform similar to what I described which can be used now with fossil-fuel engines(and deliver a huge fuel savings), and converted later on to fuel cell or battery with minimal modification since the input is pure electricity. Perhaps even putting electric pickups on highways similar to amusement car rides might not be a bad idea to consider. The point here is that fossil fuel is a dying, obsolete technology not worth putting any investment into unless that investment can be carried over to non-fossil fuel vehicles. This possibility does not exist for SHEP as far as I can see. The current fad with variable displacement engines seems equally doomed. Best to just make the engine large enough to supply the average power needed and then run it continuously at one speed.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
jtr1962 said:
It doesn't need to. A 35HP engine has enough reserve power to do that on it's own provided the car is designed with a low drag coefficient(~0.2) and fairly low rolling resistance tires. I'm doing the example with a 4% gradient as 6% gradients simply don't exist on any Interstate highways:
The UN says 7% and since cars are designed for world markets, this would be a more reasonable figure to assume.
A couple of other factors work in my favor, anyway. First of all, 1500kg is way too heavy for a car. There is zero reason why any 4 to 6 passenger vehicle should weigh that much. Liberal use of composites, styrofoam crash protection, use of plastic windows, the elimination of heavy drivetrain components by using SHEMP in the first place, and the fact that a 35 HP engine weighs hundreds of pounds less than a 200 HP one should bring the empty weight of such a vehicle under 700 kg or less. Second, frontal area and drag coefficient can certainly be reduced well below my numbers without any sacrifice in either comfort or driveability. Third, the car can pick up speed before reaching the hill so that this stored kinetic energy can be used to maintain a higher average speed up the hill than the car's power plant alone is capable of(trucks and buses do this all the time). Counting all these factors, my hypothetical car would be able to maintain 80+ mph even up your 6% gradient with 35 HP.
There is a reason cars are that heavy: cost. Use of the composites you describe would probably triple the cost of the average 4 door sedan.

Don't forget the weight of the passengers. 4 150 pound adults, and many Americans weigh quite a bit more than this, add another 600 pounds or 270kg to the weight. Not to mention their luggage (for the weekend trip they're on). Maybe 35-45 pounds each (clothes + a couple of small pieces of recreational gear like golf clubs).

You are correct that more can be done to reduce Cd. Elimination of the grill will help some, as will evolving the contouring of the car's underside (a large reason the G35 has a lower Cd than most other vehicles in it's class). Outboard rear-view mirrors could be replaced by tiny cameras & HUD displays. Make windshield water & dust repellent (electrostatic?) and eliminate wipers. Add fender covers like the old cars used (and the Honda Insight).

But, only some, maybe most but certainly not all, situations physically allow vehicles to speed up before hitting a hill. And unless the speed limits are adjusted accordingly, folks may or may not do it. Cruise control systems, since we're talking highways, will also need sensors to 'see' the upcoming hill and gain momentum ahead of time.

The point here is that fossil fuel is a dying, obsolete technology not worth putting any investment into unless that investment can be carried over to non-fossil fuel vehicles. This possibility does not exist for SHEP as far as I can see. The current fad with variable displacement engines seems equally doomed. Best to just make the engine large enough to supply the average power needed and then run it continuously at one speed.
In an ideal world you would be correct, but in the real world, transitions from one technology (or aspect of culture) to another takes time. I couldn't speculate on SHEP's possibilities for success, but I can tell you that the road to elimination of fossil fuels will be a long one and is only beginning. Hybrids, displacement on demand, etc. are steps towards the right goal. They improve efficiency now while letting the technologies be refined or even invented to take us to the next level.

Look at battery tech of the past 20 years. Carbon to alkaline to NiCd to Ni metal hydride to LiIon. Huge steps, but they are all incremental and don't involve and radical leaps in technology. Car batteries are still lead-acid, though, as nothing else works better at this point.

- Fushigi

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
The UN says 7% and since cars are designed for world markets, this would be a more reasonable figure to assume.

Interesting. Don't forgot, though, that this is on a road classified as "steep", which is even worse than "mountain". The places where such steep gradients exist are likely curvy mountain roads where speeds of more than 30 or 40 mph would be unsafe anyway(since you could drive off a cliff on a sharp curve). My hypothethical car, even at 1500kg, can manage 7% gradients just fine at 40 mph. As a rule, steeper grades go hand in hand with sharper curves, and are used in places where it is uneconomic to blast away enough of the landscape to make a flatter, less curvy road/railroad. The sharper curves prevent higher speeds in the first place. On any highway where actually maintaining 60 or 70 mph uphill is needed, I don't think the grades generally exceed 3%. If they do, buses and trucks will slow down, and that will be the controlling speed of uphill traffic, so it would be irrelevant if cars also lacked power to maintain speed since they would need to slow down anyway to avoid rear-ending the slower vehicles. IIRC, 20HP/ton is a widely quoted figure for heavy trucks, so 35 HP statisfies this ratio for a 1500kg car(actually 21.2 HP/ton). The point of not having a larger engine is to avoid the lugging around the extra weight, and the fact that engines are less efficient at partial power. Also, in an overpowered car, which is really every car made these days, the engine needs to speed up and slow down, further wasting energy plus causing extra wear and tear.

There is a reason cars are that heavy: cost. Use of the composites you describe would probably triple the cost of the average 4 door sedan.

True to an extent, but consider that if you made a vehicle like I described, especially if it were fuel-cell or battery powered, you can make it well enough that it's a once in a lifetime purchase, so the person actually saves money in the long run. Unless something dramatically changes about driving, there will never be a need to buy another car. Honestly, until cars become self-driven only(which I feel they should given the ridiculous number of deaths/injuries), I just don't see any big changes that would necessitate a newer car. Once self-driven cars are the norm though, you might very well see 125 to 150 mph speeds, and older cars would be rendered obsolete as they simply can't mantain those speeds economically, if at all. This is the only thing in my opinion that would render a "lifetime" car obsolete.

I couldn't speculate on SHEP's possibilities for success, but I can tell you that the road to elimination of fossil fuels will be a long one and is only beginning. Hybrids, displacement on demand, etc. are steps towards the right goal. They improve efficiency now while letting the technologies be refined or even invented to take us to the next level.

Look at battery tech of the past 20 years. Carbon to alkaline to NiCd to Ni metal hydride to LiIon. Huge steps, but they are all incremental and don't involve and radical leaps in technology. Car batteries are still lead-acid, though, as nothing else works better at this point.

Certain current events might make this road a great deal shorter, including if this current war turns out to be long and with many casualties. There are other factors as well, including the high health care costs associated with air pollution. A few class action suits and it might be cheaper to not use fossil fuels any more. I've always thought it was grossly unfair that drivers never pay for the huge amount of damage their habit costs in the form of a $5 or so per gallon gas tax.

Finally, I've said it in other threads but it bears repeating here. We need to use cars in their most appropriate niche-as grocery getters and shuttles to train stations, and for that electric/solar is fine. To use cars for long-distance travel when high-speed and commuter rail is faster/cheaper/more energy efficient makes no sense. Using trucks for long-distance shipping makes even less sense. Therefore, we should put huge amounts of money into making our rail system a viable interconnecting system that serves most areas of the country, and to build ultra-high speed links(200 to 250 mph) between the most heavily traveled cities so domestic air and long distance car travel can be all but eliminated.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Honold,

The info. I read about SHEP initially, and that caused me to post here was that Ford is releasing at least one vehicle next year. If this was all still in the tinkering stage, I wouldn't have bothered with it.

That said, what I read was propaganda, and your sources probably have the real scoop on what's going on. I can't imagine Ford would keep their dealers in the dark to "surprise" them on something they consider important.

honold

Storage is cool
yeah this guy works in prototypes at roush, he said it is in research but is 100% not in any kind of working proto because he would know about it