Colour Laser for Photos

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Just wanted to pass on my satisfaction with the HP Color LaserJet 1600 and its ability to print photos. Printed out a bunch of 8x10 photos and compared them side-by-side with my calibrated BenQ 24" LCD and Epson Stylus Photo R1800 inkjet printouts.

The HP used 24 lb plain paper and Auto Color Management (built-in profile designed to match files calibrated to sRGB standard), and the Epson used Ultra Premium Matte paper with Epson's premium ICM profile (which is actually pretty good).

Initially, I was completely shocked how good the photos were from the HP, especially the colour accuracy. On the landscape pics, except for the shade of the sky, I had to specifically look to see the differences from the Epson printouts. It was that accurate from the shadows to the midtones to the highlights.

Further testing with portraits and people pics revealed that subtle gradations with skin tones were not handled as well, but it was still quite acceptable -- I would have no problem showing them to anybody except for photographers or people who have a critical eye for this kind of stuff.

The main area of disappointment was with wildlife. High resolution pics revealed that this printer just did not have the resolution and tonal gradations to produce fine details like fur properly. If I look back to the people portraits, I can notice that fine hair is not properly resolved either.

There was a very faint colour moire pattern on the fur from the D40's sensor that happens to be more apparent on the HP's printouts than on the Epson's and on screen.

Overall, I would say that the HP's photo quality was quite good up until this point... in fact, downright excellent for a laser printer! Now for more testing.

Viewing the printouts from the HP in other environments with different lighting sources revealed a slight weakness that did not show up with incandescent lighting. Up until this point, I had used two different incandescent light sources for viewing printouts: 3200 K halogen lamp and a ~4000 K "daylight/full-spectrum" incandescent lamp.

With 5000 K "sunlight" CFL lighting and ~5000 K sunlight through windows that have a very faint green glazing, the laserjet printouts displayed a little more metamerism than the inkjet printouts. The Epson inkjet printouts usually look different as well -- everything looks a little cooler in the daylight as is to be expected, however, the shift in the colour balance of the laserjet printouts was not only a bit greater than with the inkjet, but more green as well. A subtle effect that you wouldn't notice unless you compared the two printouts side by side, but if you have a critical eye, you can tell.

Anyways, I still consider it a very good printer overall, and I am still quite surprised at how good of a photo printer it is for a colour laser. You can use it for proofs and non-critical printouts with plain paper to give out to friends or coworkers instead of spending a fortune on premium paper and ink from your photo inkjet printer. Mind you, the colour laser toner isn't exactly cheap, but the per print cost is definitely lower, especially when you throw the paper into the equation.

Just tell your friends to view your printouts under incandescent lighting or outdoors ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks for the info, e_dawg. I hate inkjet with a fiery passion, I just didn't know any of the reasonably-priced alternative technologies were up to the task.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had zero problems with the way my Samsung CLP-510 does color prints. Then again my points of reference were a Deskjet 400C and cheap chain store prints. However, even compared to magazine quality photos my color laser prints are not bad. As far as I'm concerned, color laser is "acceptable" for photo printing at this point. I'd never buy another inkjet again even if it wasn't. I've had enough of messy cartridge refilling, streaky printouts, cartridge recognition failures, short cartridge life, moisture-damaged printouts, etc. I'm still on the starter toner cartridges after over nine months of use. From what I hear, refilling toner carts is a pretty foolproof process compared to refilling ink cartridges. Anyway, it's lasers for me from this point onwards.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have not seen anything very good from color lasers. Perhaps they have changed, but the gamut and gradations were not so good in the darker areas. Paper was the primary limitation. Do they print on glossy RC paper yet and maintain detail in the dark areas?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Admittedly, the darker areas are not the greatest. Not sure if they print on glossy RC paper, although I think they do. I don't think paper makes that much of a difference on a laser. That's why plain paper prints looks so darn good! You would never dare do that on an inkjet.

In any event, no the HP CLJ 1600 does not match the inkjets in shadow tonal and colour performance. It's not too bad, though, as the prints from the Epson SPR1800 using the Ultra Premium Matte paper don't look that much better in the shadow areas than the laser. The glossy and prem luster prints did pull away in the shadow areas noticeably, but the HP approached the Epson's shadow performance on matte.

Even still, colour laser photo output quality has improved noticeably, and I can say that the HP CLJ 1600 is the first colour laser that IMO "makes the grade" when it comes to making acceptable prints to share with a non-critical audience. In the past, colour laser prints were bad enough to induce a physical reaction of disgust from me. Didn't happen with the HP. It passed the test, and that was using plain paper ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Admittedly, the darker areas are not the greatest. Not sure if they print on glossy RC paper, although I think they do. I don't think paper makes that much of a difference on a laser. That's why plain paper prints looks so darn good! You would never dare do that on an inkjet.

In any event, no the HP CLJ 1600 does not match the inkjets in shadow tonal and colour performance. It's not too bad, though, as the prints from the Epson SPR1800 using the Ultra Premium Matte paper don't look that much better in the shadow areas than the laser. The glossy and prem luster prints did pull away in the shadow areas noticeably, but the HP approached the Epson's shadow performance on matte.

Even still, colour laser photo output quality has improved noticeably, and I can say that the HP CLJ 1600 is the first colour laser that IMO "makes the grade" when it comes to making acceptable prints to share with a non-critical audience. In the past, colour laser prints were bad enough to induce a physical reaction of disgust from me. Didn't happen with the HP. It passed the test, and that was using plain paper ;)

Is this the printer you are referring to? It doesn't seem like the reviews on Newegg are all that positive...

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Is this the printer you are referring to? It doesn't seem like the reviews on Newegg are all that positive...

Um yeah. I don't put much stock in most user reviews when it comes to these things. Sorry to sound conceited, but many wouldn't know what true photo quality is supposed to look like if it bit them in the ass.

Did they run controlled tests against one of the better non-professional inkjets on the market (Epson SPR 1800)? Did they use ICC/ICM profiles specific for paper and print quality setting? Calibrated monitor? Colour-managed workflow? What settings did they use? If I use the manual setting for "photos", it looks pretty bad. If I leave it on Auto, the driver actually knows what it's doing to match sRGB.

It seems as if they brush it off as poor photo quality in passing... compared to what? How so? What kind of photos look bad? Have they seen other colour lasers' photo output? It's as if they expected it to print out colour photos as good as any inkjet.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I haven't tried printing photos on one, but it is big.

It's actually not that big compared to other colour lasers. It's a little tall, but it's slanted so that it's smaller up top. Only the entry level Samsung is significantly smaller. You should see the Konica Minolta DL5xxx series. It's 80 lbs and is as big as an ottoman. Lexmark Cxxx series too.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
NSFW-timwit alert

I'll take the red one on the left ;), no I mean the one on the right :p

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=15918

You know what, both of these pictured printers, being laser tech, are too tall for my liking (short, skinny little Asian babes work for me ;) ). These are not much taller than, I suppose, AIO inkjet counter parts; but I'd really like to see them figure out a way to halve the height on all of these AIO's.

The CLP-315K which is 20% smaller than the previous generation the CLP-300, 45dB, a resolution of 2,400 x 600 dpi, 32MB of internal memory, 16 pages per minutes (Black) and 4 pages per minutes (Color). Finally Samsung also announced that they drastically improved the photo output quality of this new generation.

The CLX-3175FNK, an All in one laser color printer with a build-in scanner (Black & White, Color) and a Fax. Here Samsung succeed to reduce up to 40% the size of this model compare to the previous generation the CLX-3160. On this model you can easily scan document to an USB Key or even print document store on the very same USB key without the need of a PC

Picture of girls and printers

Large banner

Last edited by a moderator:

Stereodude

Not really a
I've yet to see a color laser that could print a photo worth a darn. They work great for power points and all that jazz, but photos, negative.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Until August 2, you can get the new Samsung CLP-315 @Staples for $199.99 and get a $70 Visa rebate debit card. I think if you add .99 package of paper clips, to get it over $200, you'll get free shipping. Though I would want the network 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi version, but that's over $200. MFC version is $329 @newegg.

http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/08/07/28/samsung.new.laser.printers/

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...1&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=742187

^^^lol, if you scroll down the page you can see that replacement ink cartridges will cost as much as the printer...damn. $29 at newegg.

Cons: No printer cable, but that is par for the course on most printers you get today. Came with partial ink cartridges, but for the price to replace the ink its not a bad deal. Not to sure about the paper tray, seems like they could have tried to make it atleast feel better, but it should be OK.
Haven't read any commercial pub. reviews of photo quality yet.