confidentiallity

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Is it possible to have a forum limited to just PSR members. This means only a certain group of users can post or even read a specific forum. This will be necessary if we all agree to Eugene's Confidentiallity agreement.

Mark Turner

Handruin

Administrator
There are private forums that can be used. I'll have to play with it tomorrow when I get home from work. My guess is that it can be limited to whomever I select.

-Doug

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Alternatively, would it not be possible to simply rename the main page to something obscure? Provided that it is not possible to browse the server folders, trawling for filenames, then if the forum page (or, better, the entire forum folder) was named xztkuyt.php (or something like that) and not linked to outside of here, the chances of anyone getting into it would be very small indeed.

Naturally, I'd want to see someone who knows more about web security than I do confirm that this would work before it was put into action. (Mark? Is that one of your areas?)

Handruin

Administrator
Check out the confidential forum. it has restricted access for only the people I/we allow.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mercutio, Doug has to add you to the list of confidential forum members by hand. If he hasn't done this yet, it won't be long. (According to rumour, the guy does sleep. Sometimes.)

Once you are on the list, then simply log on with your username and password. As if by magic, the the "SR Confidential" forum will pop up into the main forum index page at www.handruin.com/phpBB2/index.php

Alas, the contents of the forum are not magic, merely such things as are contributed by thumb-fingered typists such as me and Flagreen.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Er... I don't see a confidential forum. Did I upset someone?

Nope, no one was upset, just I'm new at this forum thing here, so I'm having a little difficulty with the permisions in this forum. I will add you on to the hidden forum, leaving you out was not intentional.

I was late to work today as I played with the settings and I noticed that everyone had access to the confidential forum. I freaked out because I didn't know what was going on. From time to time you may see new members named temp1234...thats me testing to see if new members have access or not. I haven't found straight forward documentation for this beast, but I'm working on it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm never going to get to bed, am I?

Let me know if there's anything I can help with, Tony. There's lots to talk about now.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tannin has finished his mega-post at last (over in the feedback area) and is taking a break. But yes, Mercutio, you can help. I happen to know that he needs:
  1. A new brain - old one has melted.
  2. New eyes - old ones have gone glassy and point in different diections.
  3. Someone to run an eye over it and tell him where he f*ed up. I guess that means you.