Core Upgrade Idea

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm looking to upgrade my 3+ year old system with a few new parts.

I'm looking to get these core parts as the rest of the components are fairly new, except for my boot drive and I'm waiting for a more affordable 32GB SATA SSD.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Video: GIGABYTE GV-NX86T256H GeForce 8600GT 256MB

This will all be going into an Antec P180. Are any of these parts subpar in any way? Is there something else out there that is better for close to the same price? How is the stock cooler that comes with that CPU? Should I spend money on a better HSF?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had issues with Gigabyte Intel-based boards and certain types of RAM. I've not tried one with an nVidia chipset, but I know that 965-based models don't seem to like PNY, G.Skill or Geil DIMMs that newegg.com carries - and by "not like" I mean "not boot". Oddly enough, Gigabyte AMD-based boards don't seem to have a problem with them.

That has been my experience anyway. I have some 2GB PC800 G. Skill modules coming next week for a customer, and I'm planning to try those out to see if they work.

My Gigabyte boards do work OK with expensive Corsair "Dominator" RAM and less OC-friendly Crucial and Corsair modules.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had good luck with Kingston Value RAM in my GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard.

Bozo :joker:

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For less than $40 more you can get a 512MB ATI card and run the Folding GPU client if desired. The downside, I suppose, would be the 1950 has a cooling fan.

The stock CPU cooler seems to be fine. I've got one on my secondary C2Q which spends it's life Folding. Of course it's running in the basement so I can't really speak to how loud it gets & the ambient temp is naturally on the cool side. In my main rig I went with the HSF in my new PC thread from a few months ago; it's decently quiet.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
For less than $40 more you can get a 512MB ATI card and run the Folding GPU client if desired. The downside, I suppose, would be the 1950 has a cooling fan.

The stock CPU cooler seems to be fine. I've got one on my secondary C2Q which spends it's life Folding. Of course it's running in the basement so I can't really speak to how loud it gets & the ambient temp is naturally on the cool side. In my main rig I went with the HSF in my new PC thread from a few months ago; it's decently quiet.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would rather stay away from fans on a video card. Plus, I dislike the ATI control center even more than the nVidia one.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I've had issues with Gigabyte Intel-based boards and certain types of RAM. I've not tried one with an nVidia chipset, but I know that 965-based models don't seem to like PNY, G.Skill or Geil DIMMs that newegg.com carries - and by "not like" I mean "not boot". Oddly enough, Gigabyte AMD-based boards don't seem to have a problem with them.

That has been my experience anyway. I have some 2GB PC800 G. Skill modules coming next week for a customer, and I'm planning to try those out to see if they work.

My Gigabyte boards do work OK with expensive Corsair "Dominator" RAM and less OC-friendly Crucial and Corsair modules.

That Corsair RAM is ridiculous.

Bozo, is this what you used?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Seems like it's working pretty well then for fairly inexpensive RAM.

Has anyone successfully used the G.Skill RAM mentioned in the first post with an Intel chipset Gigabyte motherboard?

I think the most important spec to look at is the voltage. Intel specs 1.8v.

Mercutio

The 2GB G. Skill modules I have don't work on a P965-DS3. And yes, they are 1.8V, in pairs or one at a time. The Corsair "Dominator" modules I have a 2.1V and work fine on the same board.

Mercutio

Dammit. That makes me annoyed. Now I am wondering if there's something wrong with the boards I have (an S3 and a DS3).

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Dammit. That makes me annoyed. Now I am wondering if there's something wrong with the boards I have (an S3 and a DS3).

Maybe you got memory from a low quality batch? It could easily be a number of variables that effect the outcome.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Just ordered the parts. Everything is the same as the first post, except the memory which is the same as Bozo's Kingston.

This is the first CPU upgrade I have done since 2004, hopefully it will be easy to tell the difference.

Just realized I will have to reinstall, what a pain in the ass. Anyway around that going from a Via chipset to an Intel?

ddrueding

Fixture
2004...is it an SATA hard drive? Does your old drive have a 3rd-party SATA controller? Might as well plug it in and try. If it fails, try doing a "repair" installation...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
2004...is it an SATA hard drive? Does your old drive have a 3rd-party SATA controller? Might as well plug it in and try. If it fails, try doing a "repair" installation...

My boot drive is a SCSI disk. All my other drives are SATA.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My parts got delivered today but they are stuck in the building office. Damn, now I have nothing to do tonight.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I have two Q6600s sitting right here. :D

Very funny. I have one sitting in a box in the management office, I just can't get to it. Hopefully, it will get dropped off tomorrow.

Back to one of my previous posts, has anyone been able to plug-in an Intel motherboard and not have to reinstall? Running Win2k3.

Mercutio

Not so much.

You can do a repair install, or make the hardware switch halfway through an upgrade install, and it'll be OK.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
OK, I will try the repair install. I haven't done this in a long time, do you have a good resource which explains the steps?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
You might also want to download the latest INF chipset driver from Intel for you motherboard. Install it after the bazillion reboots Windows will want to do.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Didn't need to repair or do in-place install. Posting from the new system. I guess I got lucky.

The CPU 12 volt cable is not long enough to reach, so the power supply is currently resting on top of the case. I think this will take care of it. Anyone know if I can order one somewhere that won't charge $5 shipping for a cable?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Didn't need to repair or do in-place install. Posting from the new system. I guess I got lucky.

The CPU 12 volt cable is not long enough to reach, so the power supply is currently resting on top of the case. I think this will take care of it. Anyone know if I can order one somewhere that won't charge $5 shipping for a cable?

I would still run the INF update either from Gigabyte or Intel.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm running with the case open because of that cable that is too short and if I leave the computer idle the CPU fan stops running some of the time. This thing really runs cool. The heatsink is barely warm to the touch.