custom user titles.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
what's the chance of being able to assign out own user titles? just wondering? i have one i use everywhere else - "Jedi mind-trick victim"

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I like "Born to kill" for me. From one of my favorite movies - Full Metal Jacket.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
They do that on Ars Technica, althought the additional nick-names are assigned rather than chosen by the member.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wait a minute, are we talking about user names or the title below the names? I thought we were talking about the latter.

Handruin

Administrator
The ability is there, the hard part would be to manage it for everyone. :) Right now would not be a problem, but if 100 people asked for it, I would be swamped.

I'd be curious to hear what others think of this.

Handruin

Administrator
My concern is that I can do it for some, but not all. This would turn into another issue I believe. ;) I'll see if there is a mod for this. Maybe they made it so people can manage their own.

Handruin

Administrator
Jake the Dog said:
i would have thought there'd be an option to allow the users to do this.

The way it works right now is automated. I setup 5 titles that change when users hit certain post counts. This was a topic that had been discussed many months ago...probably at the bottom of this forum.

If people would like to try something different, lets start a poll. I wouldn't know where to begin if people want the forum code hacked to have them manage the title. I can look for a mod on this as I mentioned before...

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin said:
Jake the Dog said:

The way it works right now is automated. I setup 5 titles that change when users hit certain post counts. This was a topic that had been discussed many months ago...probably at the bottom of this forum.

If people would like to try something different, lets start a poll. I wouldn't know where to begin if people want the forum code hacked to have them manage the title. I can look for a mod on this as I mentioned before...

Before a poll is started, perhaps you should determine what is involved of changing these titles, and the letting us know. Once this has been resolved, that a census can be taken.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Wouldn't it be more fun to change someone ele's title? :) We could auction the right to change a user's title and use the money to help pay for all those broken glasses in the Brewery. And we could offer the right to buy your own title as a pre-emptive move, and protect yourself against being lumbered wioth an unkind title. Unless someone else came along and offered even more money, of course. :mrgrn:

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Tea, you are always thinking. I would recommend you stop. :mrgrn:

All jokes aside, writing our own level of expertise (if any) would be fun. It would also give us an interesting perspective of each other’s personality.

Handruin

Administrator
Bartender said:
Handruin said:
Jake the Dog said:

Before a poll is started, perhaps you should determine what is involved of changing these titles, and the letting us know. Once this has been resolved, that a census can be taken.

To change the title manually is not hard to do. Having it so that users can change them would be very hard for me to do. :) I looked for a mod and the only thing I found was a way to add aditional titles to the current one, but this has to be done by me.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
You could make it so that after a certain number of posts users are allowed to get a custom title. One of the forums that I read lets users have a custom title after 1600 posts. This way you wouldn't be changing titles all the time and creating new ones constantly.

Or you could do it so that after being a member for a certain amount of time you are allowed to have a custom title.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
timwhit said:
You could make it so that after a certain number of posts users are allowed to get a custom title. One of the forums that I read lets users have a custom title after 1600 posts. This way you wouldn't be changing titles all the time and creating new ones constantly.

Or you could do it so that after being a member for a certain amount of time you are allowed to have a custom title.

That sounds like a decent compromise Handruin - thanks for the suggestion Tim. Any other opinions on this matter?

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
1600 posts would take me approximately 21 years! (3 human years). membership term sounds good to me and a minimum of say 100 posts sounds good to me. that gives the forum leader enough time to judge whether a person is fit for their own title or not. really though, i can't see why it's such a big deal as to when one gets this right. if a user title is found to be offensive, inappropriate or the like, then edit it or remove the user.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Doug how much trouble would it be to arrange for up to 24 people? Keep in mind not all would wish to write their own.

Handruin

Administrator
flagreen said:
Doug how much trouble would it be to arrange for up to 24 people? Keep in mind not all would wish to write their own.

I think that sounds fine for right now. How do we deal with the issue of someone wanting a title that may be contiverisal? Is that something people will leave up to me to decide, or should we establish groud rules for something like this?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Handruin said:
flagreen said:

I think that sounds fine for right now. How do we deal with the issue of someone wanting a title that may be contiverisal? Is that something people will leave up to me to decide, or should we establish groud rules for something like this?

The same process should be taken if someone used something inappropriate in their signature. Is there such a policy in place?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Doug,

At this point I see no reason that you can't decide if something is controversial. There aren't that many members here with more than 100 posts anyways.

I don't even know what I would want my title to be....

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Doug,

Just don't accept anything that you think is controversial? I'm not sure.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I would really expect that our present members would be able to pick something that wouldn't offend others. If we take each other into account when writing our label, there wouldn't be a need for a policy.

Handruin

Administrator
Jake the Dog said:
any more on this topic or has it been decided to drop it?

Let me know what everyone wants to do and I will try to create the titles. If others object, please speak up.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I don't mind if others have titles. I don't have anything in mind for myself so you'll have one less mod to do.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Oh Jeez Tea! :eek:

Just look at your Avatar photo and then consider if they ever EVER E-V-E-R give you that title... :lol:

Handruin

Administrator
Will Rickards WT said:
You don't like my titles :(
Oh well...
than can I be bumped up to Storage Freak?
And you must immediately give Tannin - Storage is my life ;)

Would this be a bad time to interject that a custom title can't include a "earned" title?

My thought is that the titles setup on the forum are designed to reflect post count, and if we hand them out as custom titles, the small meaning is lost for someone who has been here long enough to earn one.

I realize post count quantity doesn't reflect the quality of a member, but it does show a sense of involvement and time associated to a given member.

These are my thoughts, would anyone else care to reflect on this topic? If no one else cares then I don't think it would be a big deal.

-Doug

ps I do like your titles, and it is part of the reason why we are using them. :)