Decent board for SDRAM

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Is there a board out there somewhere that'll do a modern AMD (or P4 even) chip, something in the neighborhood of 1700+, and PC133 SDRAM?

I've got a couple of old FIC AZ11EAs, but they're fuzzy over 1GHz.

I only ask 'cause I'm looking at a pile of 256MB 168pin DIMMs on the table in front of me. :(

SteveC

Storage is cool
The original 845 motherboards (not the 845E) are SDRAM for the P4. However, I think they only support up to 2.0GHz Willamette chips, not the Northwood chips. Also, P4s are serverly crippled by the memory bandwidth. For Athlons, some of the KT133s support XP chips. The ASUS A7V133 I have goes up to 2000+ with the latest bios, but I have to double check to make sure.
If you really want to get rid of them, you could send a couple this way. :wink:

Steve

time

Storage? I am Storage!
With the latest Q11 version of the BIOS, Soltek SL-75KAV supports up to Athlon XP2600+.

I believe Tannin and Buck have used a few. :wink:

It's probably worth pointing out that performance at 1400MHz (XP1600) should be just as constrained as at 2133MHz (XP2600). However, it's nowhere near as big a hit as that suffered by a P4 with SDRAM. :eekers:

But I guess you know all that. :)

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Mercutio said:
Is there a board out there somewhere that'll do a modern AMD (or P4 even) chip, something in the neighborhood of 1700+, and PC133 SDRAM?

I only ask 'cause I'm looking at a pile of 256MB 168pin DIMMs on the table in front of me. :(

One of my machines is running on a Soyo K7VEM Pro. It maxes out at 1700+. It has onboard video, audio and NIC. It is built on the VIA KLE133 and is microATX size. So, yes there are some out there. Perhaps with more defined specifications we could help you better.

Mercutio

time, when I can put 2GB of RAM in an SDRAM board not even get into my 256MB modules, I'd feel guilty about not at least making an effort. :)

My requirements are general because I have pretty much the hardware for anything I want. Whatever I build, I'll find a use for or sell. It's just a shame for so much decent memory to go to waste.

Looking at MSI (since I've never bought anything of theirs) and Soltek.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Cliptin said:
Mercutio said:

One of my machines is running on a Soyo K7VEM Pro. It maxes out at 1700+. It has onboard video, audio and NIC. It is built on the VIA KLE133 and is microATX size. So, yes there are some out there. Perhaps with more defined specifications we could help you better.

I must say, in my personal experience, stay away from VIA KLE and PLE 133 chipsets, please. :D

If you need DDR memory Mercutio, just stop . . . never mind, you're in Indiana.

Mercutio

I just bought four of the aforementioned Soltek boards. MSI is a little bit too proud of theirs to merit my full consideration.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
A good choice, Mercutio. We sold a couple of hundred of them and were happy. One thing to bear in mind is that they are near end of life now, and EOL products often are a little suspect - they seem to use up the dregs. (Not commenting on Soltek in particular here, just board makers in general. Not much you can do about it anyway.)

I echo Buck's comments about KLE chipsets: crappy things. Hell, if you are going to slum, you might as well go all the way to an i810.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Interestingly, my friend over at SR - Reparations - likes the KLE boards. I don't think I'll draw his attention to your dissenting opinions. :)

He seemed to think he grabbed me by the throat, but I'm pretty sure it was my ankle. So I'm resisting the urge to kick his head. ;)