problem Desktop pc freezes resume after 14 months of utter bliss

apairofpcs

Learning Storage Performance
[SIZE=+1]Hello all,

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]This is a new thread pertaining[SIZE=+1] to [/SIZE]an old [SIZE=+1]problem that was solved, but has resumed for no apparent reason.....my pc desktop freezes, locking the mouse and keyboard and requiring a restart[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] via the case's Re[SIZE=+1]se[/SIZE]t button.

[/SIZE]In the fall of 2011, the freezes started. I can accurately state that they've occurred while working on every program I use, when the pc is sitting idle in a program or at the desktop, when I'm typing an email or a website login and when I'm viewing a video clip on a laptop and the file is stored on an HDD on the desktop. The video clip crashes at this time. Trying everything that was possible to stop the freezes, from my knowledge of pcs and the advice of you forum members, they persisted. But in March 2012 lightning hit me and I swapped the two 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs from motherboard sockets 0 and 2 to sockets 1 and 3. By the way, this was NOT suggested to me by any forum member. The freezes stopped and they didn't return until May 2013. I've been trying everything conceivable to solve this problem this time, to no avail. Here are the many things I recall doing since the freezes resumed in May 2013. I listed my use of the pc in Safe Mode first, to make a point about the possibility that a hardware problem in GUI mode, may not manifest itself in Safe Mode: None of the procedures below returned anything but a clean bill of health.

• Use the desktop in Safe Mode with networking for 24 hours, without a freeze. Not a practical mode, due to the loss of functionality of many of my regularly used programs and OS features
  • Runthe Chkdsk /R scan ( /R is the more extensive 5 step version ) on each of the two Western Digital 250 GB SATA HDDs and one Samsung 250 GB SATA HDD ( Windows 7 32 bit OS drive )
  • Remove and reseat HDD power and data cables from HDD and motherboard
  • Run HD Tune on each drive
  • Run an AVG scan on all drives, daily
  • Run Memtest 86 + for 9 hours on the two DIMMS
  • Remove and reseat DIMMS in the same sockets
  • Run Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, often
  • Run Intel's Driver Update Utility, often
  • Run CPU Burn-In for 6 hours, of each core of the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale" CPU
  • Use Real Temp 3.70, with a 40 degrees C result per core
  • Remove the Hauppauge Win TV Tuner card from the motherboard, and uninstall it's software
  • Search for the latest drivers for each hardware item listed in Device Manager
  • Remove from service an 11 year old Kensington MasterPiece Plus surge protector whose Master control button finally failed to lock ON
  • Attach the power cords for the monitor, power supply, audio system and ActionTec router to a Kensington SmartSockets 6 outlet surge protector
  • Keep up with Windows Updates
  • Run the OS's Disk Cleanup program, daily
  • Run DiskTrix's Ultimate Defrag. 3.0 defrag. program, daily
  • Keep the desktop in Sleep mode when not using it, using hibernate mode in the rare event that I want to shutdown
  • Create a System Restore point, daily
  • Delete files in the Firefox cache folder, Windows Temp folder, general Temp folder and Recycle Bin, daily
  • Delete Firefox cookies, daily
  • Run Atomic Clock to synchronize the pc clock with the NIST atomic clock, daily
  • Check that the desktop and my two laptops are visible to each other via my Verizon FiOS wireless network
  • Check voltage of CMOS battery on the motherboard
  • Run speed tests of the download and upload internet speeds in Firefox

Is it conclusive that the freezes are not the result of a hardware problem, if the freezes stop when in Safe Mode? I realize that most hardware device drivers are not loaded into memory in Safe Mode.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
No, a working safe mode does not totally exclude HW because it limits what the HW does but it does indicate a preference towards drivers/software as a cause. On the other hand, swapping RAM slots does totally exclude SW as a cause.

Have you looked at the Windows system event logs for error hints especially before one of your reboots? Fix any critical errors!

Look at your device manager for any devices having issues and fix those.

You are doing lots of things daily that are unlikely to solve your problem. Things like deleting firefox cookies, daily defrags, checking the clock against NIST, and lots of other actions are not very diagnostic to lockups and crashes.

An in-place reinstall of Windows or even a full reinstall and not reinstalling any unnecessary applications would be a good place to start to deal with possible SW issues.

If you are talking HW then a slowly degenerating MB/RAM would be a likely place to examine. Though your PS and video card can not excluded from the list. One temporary solution maybe to downclock your CPU (no boost) and to underclock and/or loosen RAM timings.

ddrueding

Fixture
My favorite way to help eliminate software as an issue is to boot to another OS. Linux is the obvious choice, but there are bootable Windows disks on the shady side of the internet as well.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm generally willing to discount RAM as cause of problems in the first place. RAM is pretty damned reliable these days, but nothing in that laundry list tells me you've done a full hard disk diagnostic. Honestly, no, I don't think that's what's going on, but you really should use WDdiag or the like to verify that's the case. I suspect you're going to find out this is a motherboard problem, but you need to ensure that the hard disk and power supply have been well tested as well.

apairofpcs

No, a working safe mode does not totally exclude HW because it limits what the HW does but it does indicate a preference towards drivers/software as a cause. On the other hand, swapping RAM slots does totally exclude SW as a cause.

Have you looked at the Windows system event logs for error hints especially before one of your reboots? Fix any critical errors!

Look at your device manager for any devices having issues and fix those.

You are doing lots of things daily that are unlikely to solve your problem. Things like deleting firefox cookies, daily defrags, checking the clock against NIST, and lots of other actions are not very diagnostic to lockups and crashes.

An in-place reinstall of Windows or even a full reinstall and not reinstalling any unnecessary applications would be a good place to start to deal with possible SW issues.

If you are talking HW, then a slowly degenerating MB/RAM would be a likely place to examine. Though your PS and video card can not excluded from the list. One temporary solution maybe to down clock your CPU (no boost) and to under clock and/or loosen RAM timings.

Guess who got a freeze as HE was typing a reply to this post a few hours ago? No hints.....!

Anyway, do you think a freeze eventually would have occurred in Safe Mode, given enough time, considering your statement that hardware with device drivers not loaded in memory can still fail? On the matter of my March 2012 DIMMs relocation, I just removed the DIMMS, cleaned the gold contacts with a Q-tip dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol, wiped dry the contacts and returned them to the same sockets. Can't be TOO clean!

It's because of your error log reference that I found the two event log files I've attached here. I don't understand what the text means, but at least each files describes an improper shutdown. One file uses the term "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power", which in my mind means "memory related." Hey if my DIMMs are the problem, I'll run / fly and buy two more. I'm not sure of this yet. Several memtest86+ runs returned NO ERRORS and the specs. of each DIMM seemed correct.

Device Manager shows no drivers that are causing a hardware problem.

My many tasks in the list are done routinely, regardless of my problem with freezes. I do a lot of preventive maintenance. I listed my tasks, to demonstrate that I'm a responsible pc user. Would you recommend any diagnostic procedures that would prove that a hardware device is faulty? Please start with the most likely item you believe is failing.

A reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit is out of the question now. My pc is too complex to return all needed applications to the HDD. I don't see that this drastic act is indicated, because I only have programs loaded in memory at a startup that are absolutely necessary. I've unchecked most entries in Msconfig's "Startup" tab. My 4 GB of memory has plenty of vacant space for programs I actually use. I've also unchecked a few never used programs in Msconfig's "Services" tab. I'll see if I can lean out my list of installed programs.

Speaking of "slowly degenerating MB/RAM", I had four freezes in one day. This is very uncommon. Unfortunately for me, my freezes don't seem to follow any pattern, making them a dreaded "intermittent problem." We already know that RAM sockets 0 and 2 have failed, by my need to move the DIMMS to the other two sockets. My local friend jtr1962 can help me with CPU and memory clocking issues.

What's the purpose of the CMOS setting in the Ai Tweaker tab titled "CPU Margin Enhancement"? The three entries are Optimized, Compatible and Performance Mode. I've read up on this, and get conflicting opinions as to which one provides the best stability. Right now I'm using Compatible.

In your post, you've suggested that my power supply, memory, video card and motherboard are "possible suspects." Although I could replace each item you mentioned and hope to be done with it, I don't think this is a wise direction for a 4 1/2 year old desktop pc if this line of thinking doesn't stop the freezes. My desktop is used every day for many hours, and this means that almost every component is aging the same period of time. I'm retired from the work force, so I have plenty of time to "tinker." On the other hand, most of you members are still working, and time is money for most of you. Most of you would have gutted out your desktop cases by now, and filled them with new components.

My final comment is this. Why didn't I have a freeze from March 2012 to May 2013 after my DIMM socket swap? Could the other two sockets finally be failing, as did the first two?

Attachments

• eventlog1.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 3
  • eventlog2.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 4

apairofpcs

My favorite way to help eliminate software as an issue is to boot to another OS. Linux is the obvious choice, but there are bootable Windows disks on the shady side of the internet as well.
If you recall from my previous thread about the same issue, written around March 2012, the freezes also occurred when I booted to my other OS, Win XP 32 bit. Therefore, a hardware problem seems to be the cause. I almost never boot to XP, but at least I know that the freezes occur with both OSs. The question now is the same one back then. How do I diagnose the hardware device that's failing on a one by one basis? I'd like to thoroughly test the two DIMMS, for now. If they're working fine, then I'll go further. Just because the first two RAM sockets failed, doesn't mean that the second two are failing. Maybe they are, but maybe not. A motherboard replacement is a more tedious task than two DIMMs. I dread thinking about it.

Are you dealing with characters "on the shady side of the internet?" Don't answer that.....

apairofpcs

I'm generally willing to discount RAM as cause of problems in the first place. RAM is pretty damned reliable these days, but nothing in that laundry list tells me you've done a full hard disk diagnostic. Honestly, no, I don't think that's what's going on, but you really should use WDdiag or the like to verify that's the case. I suspect you're going to find out this is a motherboard problem, but you need to ensure that the hard disk and power supply have been well tested as well.
Merc, old buddy, old pal, old chum,

Are you recommending a Western Digital diagnostic tool to me? Haa haa! One thing I can tell you about all three of my HDDs. Neither chkdsk nor HD Tune have detected bad sectors. I know there's much more to an HDD than bad sectors, though. But if you tell me to use WDdiag or an equivalent, then it shall be done. I'm just worried that you may want to sabotage the integrity of my two WD drives as a result of your continuing fatwah! Seriously, I'll run the test.

How about a method of determining the PS's and MB's integrity.....besides replacing them in one shot? If I replaced them and the freezes continued, I'd be a most unhappy camper! I'd have to bill you for the parts, although I'll cover MY labor!!

apairofpcs

Have you tried installing an old restore point?
I create at least two restore points every single day, since they've saved me from certain "pc death' countless times. Are you suggesting that I use an old restore point after each freeze? The freezes have resumed as of May 2013, and I don't retain the points for more than about two weeks. Using an ancient restore point would create big problems with programs that were installed since the old restore point was created. Am I missing some inner meaning to your suggestion?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was trying to eliminate any new software you might have installed. Or any malware you might have picked up. But if this started 6 months ago and you don't have a backup that old, never mind.

apairofpcs

I was trying to eliminate any new software you might have installed. Or any malware you might have picked up. But if this started 6 months ago and you don't have a backup that old, never mind.
I knew that your motive was "honorable." Seriously, does anybody retain restore points for as long a 6 months, and why would they do so unless there is absolutely no chance that any hardware or software will be updated during this period of time? I think that this scenario is IMPOSSIBLE!

I use AVG Free 2014. It has always blocked viruses, malware and spyware, preventing any threat from delivering it's payload. I swear by this software, because all the sites that people assume are "safe" to visit are not so, and AVG has blocked every threat found on these so called "safe" websites. The hackers are doing fine work making us miserable.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Seriously, does anybody retain restore points for as long a 6 months, ...
Not a restore point, but I often make an image of my installations once I'm satisfied with their state. I've almost never had to use them, but I know the're there if needed.

If your PC is 5 years old or more, unless you really can't afford it, replace it entirely. Unless you don't value your time much. That computer obviously is a lot of trouble and has been so for quite some time. Computers are now almost commodities and I know many people who've replaced their cars for much less than what that poxy box has put you through. Give it to charity and make it somebody else's problem.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Your two error messages do not specify the cause of the reboot. So they are of limited value for diagnostic purposes.

Safe mode still loads Microsoft generic drivers, just not the drivers that are specific for your HW. As such most of your HW still runs, just not as efficient or to used its maximum potential. It is why you can still see and use your mouse and there is still video showing but at a lower resolution. The likelihood that it is HW related, when it fails normally but not in Safe-mode, decreases but is not excluded because the HW isn't being stressed as much under safe-mode. On the other hand, your drivers and auto-started applications were not loaded under safe-mode so any driver corruption caused failures are much more likely to disappear producing a preference towards SW as a cause.

An In-place re-install of Windows should leave all your applications alone but replace all your Windows files with originals. You should then replace any drivers like chipset and video (Important: Download your drivers and store them before you start this process because you can't get network drivers off the internet before you have network drivers) that you would normally add with a fresh install and finally upgrade windows using the normal Windows upgrade process to get you to the original service pack and Windows upgrade state. This is an intermediate step that can fix an otherwise problematic Windows install without harming anything else. The benefit is that if there is any corruption of any Windows files they get replaced with new without affecting the functionality of anything else. That being said, there is a risk here of something like a HW issue interfering with the re-install so backup and do not do this lightly. It is also very time-intensive especially the final Windows updates because of the way they are done, you get to do the updates over and over again till there are no more updates and downloads are slow take a long time.

As to your AI-Tweaker settings, I can only assume the meaning for I don't know the specific application. Running your CMOS bios settings in compatible mode seems a reasonable state. CPU margin-enhancement is likely to be related to OC'ing or CPU turbo boost both of which I would recommend not occur in your case: You should much prefer under-clocking with no boost to make your MB more tolerant to CPU/RAM timing issues and thereby more stable even if not as fast. In general, I try to avoid such applications for they can get it wrong and cause unknown problems. The same goes for registry optimizers/cleaners. Also, I would avoid defraging your HD because random reboots in the middle of a defrag can mess up your file system and the benefit is not worth the risk when you have a machine that randomly reboots. In general, I also try to stay away from any application that auto-updates drivers or files (that includes Windows update excluding security updates) on the theory that fixing something on a perfectly working system can only produce the result of messing it up. Also anything that auto-updates does its thing out of my control and if it messes up a file or a driver I won't know that it was the cause. So anything that updates I want to make sure it does so when I initiate the update so if something gets messed up I know the cause.

Having JTR come over and give it his personal touch is a good thing!

I agree with Merc that the most likely cause of your random reboots is slow deterioration of your MB. That being said, your motherboard runs off of power supplied by your power supply and if it isn't sending out enough clean power your motherboard has no chance. So an aging PS can easily produce the symptoms of an aging motherboard. I can not totally exclude SW though (there actually could be multiple causes) which is why I mentioned a inplace Windows reinstall or even a reinstall from scratch as possible solutions. The software solutions takes time but not money and some people are much more money sensitive than time sensitive.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I also make a backup soon after doing a clean install. I keep this backup so I can always go back to 'square one' if need be. Usually I keep backups for at least 6 months. I make other more current backups too.
If you add software and your system takes a crap, it is much easier to install a backup rather than doing a clean install. And using the softwares uninstall routine still leaves a mess in the registry.
With free versions of Acronis and Macrium Reflect available and cheap USB hard drives, there really is no reason to not have at least two backups of your system at all times.

apairofpcs

P5 and Bozo,

Sorry for the delay in a reply. I've been working with JTR1962 via email, to find out if my freezes are the result of failing hardware or a software conflict. Like most of you, he believes it's hardware. So to eliminate software from the scenario, he linked me to an Ubuntu site where I downloaded an ISO image file, destined for a bootable DVD. I burned the DVD, set the boot sequence in CMOS to "CD /DVD" first and booted to Ubuntu. I'm so used to the look and feel of Windows based GUIs, so I had to get used to Linux. Just as this was happening, 1 1/2 hours after booting to it....I got a freeze.

JTR picked out a few Corsair power supplies for me, believing that it's the hardware item that's failing. In an hour, I'll be buying this model from my local BestBuy store, because it's the only one the store stocks..... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cx-seri...=8324202&st=categoryid$abcat0507009&cp=1&lp=4 We'll see if it solves my problem. If not, I can return it for a refund before Jan. 15th, with no restocking fee. JTR is planning on diagnosing my hard drives, CPU and memory in a few days. I'm hoping that my motherboard is not the problem, because my desktop is 4 1/2 years old and current motherboards will not accommodate my CPU and DIMMs.

I post any news.

Handruin

Administrator
P5 and Bozo,

Sorry for the delay in a reply. I've been working with JTR1962 via email, to find out if my freezes are the result of failing hardware or a software conflict. Like most of you, he believes it's hardware. So to eliminate software from the scenario, he linked me to an Ubuntu site where I downloaded an ISO image file, destined for a bootable DVD. I burned the DVD, set the boot sequence in CMOS to "CD /DVD" first and booted to Ubuntu. I'm so used to the look and feel of Windows based GUIs, so I had to get used to Linux. Just as this was happening, 1 1/2 hours after booting to it....I got a freeze.

JTR picked out a few Corsair power supplies for me, believing that it's the hardware item that's failing. In an hour, I'll be buying this model from my local BestBuy store, because it's the only one the store stocks..... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cx-seri...=8324202&st=categoryid$abcat0507009&cp=1&lp=4 We'll see if it solves my problem. If not, I can return it for a refund before Jan. 15th, with no restocking fee. JTR is planning on diagnosing my hard drives, CPU and memory in a few days. I'm hoping that my motherboard is not the problem, because my desktop is 4 1/2 years old and current motherboards will not accommodate my CPU and DIMMs.

I post any news.

Hopefully the new PS helps your problem. 750W is likely way overkill for your machine unless you have a beefy graphics card or two.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Not knowing what JTR1962 had you try, but one thing I would do first is check the capacitors. The tops of the capacitors are usually concave so any that are bulged are bad. Also any that are leaking.
You may want to check the heat sinks on all devices, not just the CPU. Make sure they are on tight.
Make sure the fan runs in the power supply. Most of these can be replaced instead of buying a new power supply.
Try reseating all the connectors in the computer, including the power and fan connectors, not just the memory.
Does the fan on the CPU change speed when the system is stressed?
It could be the heat sink compound has dried up under the CPU.

apairofpcs

Hopefully the new PS helps your problem. 750W is likely way overkill for your machine unless you have a beefy graphics card or two.
You happen to be way ahead of me with your good wish for my success.

I bought the power supply as planned, but didn't install it.....yet. The reason is that I've been getting ready for the swap by removing the current connector from the mother board, and after three attempts I succeeded. I don't know why I failed the first two times. This was a good move, because from this morning at 3:15 AM EST until 8:15 AM, I had six freezes, a number that I haven't experienced in such a short period of time. It was at 8:30 AM that I succeeded in removing the connector. From this time to now, 4:15 PM, I haven't had a freeze doing the same things on the pc that I've done before each of the six freezes. Before I mated the connectors, I used a soft brush on the male and female pins. I'm hoping that brushing them and reconnecting them reestablished an intimate contact that may not have been intimate for a long time. Anyway, the power supply I bought today is patiently waiting for me to have a freeze.

apairofpcs

Not knowing what JTR1962 had you try, but one thing I would do first is check the capacitors. The tops of the capacitors are usually concave so any that are bulged are bad. Also any that are leaking.
You may want to check the heat sinks on all devices, not just the CPU. Make sure they are on tight.
Make sure the fan runs in the power supply. Most of these can be replaced instead of buying a new power supply.
Try reseating all the connectors in the computer, including the power and fan connectors, not just the memory.
Does the fan on the CPU change speed when the system is stressed?
It could be the heat sink compound has dried up under the CPU.
JTR didn't have me check anything on the motherboard. I usually unseat / reseat connectors within my reach, as my preventive medicine routine. JTR thinks that something related to the power supply is causing the freezes. The connection between the power supply and the motherboard may be the cause. The power supply's fan is running. I disabled the CPU fan's speed adjustment feature from within CMOS. Should I enable it? JTR said he would check the CPU heat sink's thermal compound, if the new power supply didn't stop the freezes. I'm watching and waiting for my next freeze.

Mercutio

Your motherboard should actually have a "PC Health" category in the BIOS which will give you some idea of whether the PSU is behaving. You can also spot check it with a voltmeter. Yellow lines should be 12V and red lines should be 5V, with plus or minus 10%. A more thorough examination requires an oscilloscope and ain't nobody got time for that.
But as I said, my gut says this is motherboard weirdness, mostly because moving your RAM around made it better for a while.

What kind of CPU do you have? I can look and see if I have a spare whatever sitting around. I probably do.

apairofpcs

Your motherboard should actually have a "PC Health" category in the BIOS which will give you some idea of whether the PSU is behaving. You can also spot check it with a voltmeter. Yellow lines should be 12V and red lines should be 5V, with plus or minus 10%. A more thorough examination requires an oscilloscope and ain't nobody got time for that.
But as I said, my gut says this is motherboard weirdness, mostly because moving your RAM around made it better for a while.

What kind of CPU do you have? I can look and see if I have a spare whatever sitting around. I probably do.
I'll look at the BIOS for it. I have a Fluke 177 DMM, and can check the two line voltages.

I surely recall your gut "speaking volumes", when I had the freezes spanning from Dec. 2011 to Mar. 2012. I'd agree that if DIMM sockets 0 and 2 failed, forcing me to relocate the DIMMs to sockets 1 and 3, it would make sense that sockets 1 and 3 would eventually fail as well. But how can you explain the events of today, where I got six freezes in five hours, and none from the time I tweaked the power supply's connector until now, 10 1/2 hours later? In fact, if the freezes have ended for good, I'm going to return the two DIMMS to sockets 0 and 2.....just for kicks.

By your offer to "donate" a CPU to me, are you thinking that mine is faulty? Who knows for sure? JTR and another buddy build my desktop pc with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 "Wolfdale" CPU. I've used CPU Burn-In numerous times on each of the two cores, with no problems reported. Usually I gang up on the CPU while I'm running CPU Burn-In, by running as many CPU intensive programs as I can find.

Mercutio

I'd donate a motherboard if anything. I have a small stack of LGA775 boards in particular for machines that I've decommissioned over the last year.

But in this case my thinking is that moving the RAM has no impact on the operation of the power supply or overall electrical load, so if there were a power supply issue, I'd expect it to manifest with at least the same degree of frequency after making that change. Since your issues were temporarily ameliorated, that suggests to me that there's something going on with your system board.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Unplugging/replugging seated the power connections better? Related to the onset of colder weather?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Microscopic crack in the motherboard. Playing with the power connector or reseating DIMMs flexes the board.

At a few hundred megahertz, even a minor change in capacitance across part of the board could cause major problems.

apairofpcs

Unplugging/replugging seated the power connections better? Related to the onset of colder weather?
If you mean, did it appear that the PS connector was not properly seated within the MB's connector before I removed it, the answer is NO. Everything looked fine. This is the first time the connector was removed since the desktop was built in Apr. 2009. Sometimes impurities in our environment get between the mating pins of two connectors, and separating them may help improve their connection by means of friction.

The ambient temp. where my desktop is used, is 75 degrees F.

apairofpcs

Microscopic crack in the motherboard. Playing with the power connector or reseating DIMMs flexes the board.

At a few hundred megahertz, even a minor change in capacitance across part of the board could cause major problems.
Good possible scenario. But.....I didn't remove the DIMMS from the original sockets until March 2012, and it was this action that stopped the freezes for 14 months. I didn't unseat / reseat the PS connector until the morning of Nov. 19th.

apairofpcs

I'd donate a motherboard if anything. I have a small stack of LGA775 boards in particular for machines that I've decommissioned over the last year.

But in this case my thinking is that moving the RAM has no impact on the operation of the power supply or overall electrical load, so if there were a power supply issue, I'd expect it to manifest with at least the same degree of frequency after making that change. Since your issues were temporarily ameliorated, that suggests to me that there's something going on with your system board.
Thank you. My MB is of the LGA775 configuration. You're a most generous humanitarian. I'm in the process of writing you an elaborate private message, in which I'll list my system's components in an effort to determine compatibility with your MB.

Mercutio

I'll probably send something like a Gigabyte G41 microATX board. I have a few brand new ones set aside for spares. I also have some Intel boards but they were purchased as refurbished and those are more valuable to me because they match my fleet systems.

Mercutio

How complete do you need? I have a stack of E6300s (the OLDEST C2Ds) on Intel G31PR boards with 2GB RAM and a bunch of old 250GB SATA drives that will start XP/Vista/7.

Handruin

Administrator
Slightly related I have a box of computer parts I'm willing to part with that could help complete building a system if anyone wants them. I'll post up the parts in the for sale section as freebies (person pays shipping).

apairofpcs

I'll probably send something like a Gigabyte G41 microATX board. I have a few brand new ones set aside for spares. I also have some Intel boards but they were purchased as refurbished and those are more valuable to me because they match my fleet systems.
After I worked on my PS's connector two days ago, hoping that this procedure would stop the freezes, 22 hours passed and I got a freeze. This was a disappointment being it's been a long time that a freeze took this long following a previous one. Then I got a second freeze 10 hours later, still a long time after a previous one.

I have in my possession a new Corsair 750w PS which I'll be installing today. If this new item doesn't stop the freezes, I'll contact you and ask you if your offer is still on the table. It makes no sense having you send me a PS, when I'm not sure that the PS isn't the problem. Since a PS swap is easier than a MB swap, this makes more sense to me. The PS is eligible for a refund if it doesn't stop the freezes. After the new PS is installed, I'll do everything I did that preceded the freezes. If I don't get a freeze for at least a week, then the original PS was the cause of the freezes and my problem is finally solved.

apairofpcs

After I worked on my PS's connector two days ago, hoping that this procedure would stop the freezes, 22 hours passed and I got a freeze. This was a disappointment being it's been a long time that a freeze took this long following a previous one. Then I got a second freeze 10 hours later, still a long time after a previous one.

I have in my possession a new Corsair 750w PS which I'll be installing today. If this new item doesn't stop the freezes, I'll contact you and ask you if your offer is still on the table. It makes no sense having you send me a PS, when I'm not sure that the PS isn't the problem. Since a PS swap is easier than a MB swap, this makes more sense to me. The PS is eligible for a refund if it doesn't stop the freezes. After the new PS is installed, I'll do everything I did that preceded the freezes. If I don't get a freeze for at least a week, then the original PS was the cause of the freezes and my problem is finally solved.
Mercutio,
I made an error in my last post. The correct sentence should be "It makes no sense having you send me a MB, when I'm not sure that the PS isn't the problem." Obviously I have PS on my mind at this point. Sorry for the confusion.

apairofpcs

It's available when you want it, man.
Thank you for your continued consideration, man!

You may be happy to know that I just completed the PS swap, with no difficulties whatsoever. I haven't made the inside of the case look "pretty" with consolidation of cables, etc., because I'll be sitting on pins and needles for a short time waiting for a freeze. It's nerve wracking dealing with an intermittent failure in a pc. I'll be running the pc with only the Samsung boot drive and DVD / CD drive, for now. If everything works out well in a week of so, I'll add the "other" two backup drives to the case.

Wish me luck that the new PS ends my pesty freezes.....

apairofpcs

Mercutio,

Sadly, after I swapped a new PS for my original PS on the morning of Thu. Nov. 21st, I got four freezes as of tonight Fri. Nov. 22nd. It appears that I'll being accepting your most gracious offer to donate one of your spare Gigabyte ATX MBs to my cause. The pc is stable, otherwise. I don't think I'm in any imminent danger of a crash while waiting for the MB to arrive.

It's a good humanitarian who sees others suffer and offers them a helping hand as you've done many times on this forum. Giving brings to one a more powerful sense of gratification than does receiving. But make no mistake about it. Receiving from you is pretty gratifying. Anyway, thank you for your generosity.

apairofpcs

Status report on my freezes. They've stopped!

I remember when I got the freezes the first time starting in Dec. 2011, I called the MB manufacturer ASUS and spoke to a tech, support rep. He walked me through every pull down and setting in BIOS Setup, advising me to disable the Q-Fan Control function. I did this again on Tue. Nov. 26th and I haven't had a freeze since then. I've had it enabled since Mar. 2012, experimenting with fan rpms. Believing that my freezes have stopped for good, I returned my DIMMS to the original sockets 0 and 2 last night, to see if I can tease out a freeze. None so far. Back in Mar. 2012, moving the DIMMs to sockets 1 and 3 stopped the freezes that started in Dec. 2011. They resumed this May. I don't know why I didn't get freezes from Mar. 2012 to May 2013. This is a mystery to me!

A few days ago I posted that I replaced my original PS with a new one, and the freezes continued. Well, since I haven't had a freeze for so long, I removed the new PS and replaced the original PS. This was 30 min. ago, so I'll have to see what happens. As unbelievable as it sounds, an act as simple as disabling fan speed control "seems" to have solved my 6 month old problem.

I did one more thing to help stabilize the pc. I downloaded the latest ASUS BIOS update, having been using the original one until now. The update went flawlessly. I'm expecting my pc to purr along as it always has before the freezes occurred. If not, the MB that Merc. shipped on Tue. and I received yesterday, will replace my ASUS MB.

apairofpcs

Well guys, I think my freezes are gone for good. The BIOS update allowed me to enable the Q-Fan Control function build into my ASUS MB. I can choose any of the three fan speeds with confidence. I chose the Silent speed for the reduced rpms, and I still feel cool air leaving the exhaust outlet in the back of the case.

My desktop is "screaming" when I push it hard, and "purring" when I'm easy on it. To think that if I used the BIOS update three years ago when it was first released, it would have prevented the pain and suffering I've experienced since Dec. 2011, is a "mind boggling" concept. But don't we all learn something when we pursue the solution of a pc problem, even if in an unrelated area? I firmly believe that something good ALWAYS comes from something bad, no matter how bad it is.

I thank all of you for your participation in the solution of my problem. Be good.....