Dropped my GTab in some water...

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So yeah. Yesterday = not a good day. Among other things this happened.

I couldn't make it stop booting in safe mode. Everything else worked so I know it's still alive, however after I let it dry and turned it on again... it's in a bootloop right now and I can't make it stop so I think I'll just let it run its battery out because I can't get into its casing.

When I get home I'm pretty sure I can fix it. I'll reflash CWM (because for some reason I can't boot into it, but I can go into download mode), then reflash my CM11 and GAPPS packages from there. Really hope it works because I can't afford to get a new one and my "phone" is not up to the task of doing everything that my tablet can, despite being just as powerful in terms of specs the touchscreen is just so much better on the GTab, also I have CM support on there. No newer ROMs are available for my "phone" and I don't think I can cook up a ROM for it myself.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd probably focus on making sure it is bone dry before anything else 100F oven?. Also, just an FYI, even if you get it working the lifespan will be significantly reduced. There is corrosion happening in there.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think the Nook HD and Nook HD+ are kind of the under-appreciated bargains of the moment. With stock firmware, they're about 80% retarded, but even at that they can load apps from Google Play. But they can be made to boot third party ROMs and can be found used for under $100. I know you don't have $100, but this is possibly a thing you should plan for.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I've been looking at them and all, but if I can't fix my GTab I think I'll just drop out of the Android world until I have a source of income. With our funds, I basically have to go with what I have and what I can get for free.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I've been putting it on the slab of wood between my windows (normal window and storm window), and letting it sun. Not even the battery indicator will stay on for more than three seconds. I think I'm screwed.

Edit: Grammar.exe has stopped working. Would you like to send an error report?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Good idea but you will need to vent the humid air the Tab is releasing to do the job or put a hydrophilic absorbent in there with it, like rice. :)
I would eat the rice later.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
To show that I conquered it... nice idea... only we don't go to the store for a while.

Yep, it's still doing nothing worth saying. Did I mention that I think my microSD card is dying?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I would remove the battery if possible and stop trying to turn it on until you get it completely dry. I wouldn't try and charge it until then either.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I can't get ahold of the tools and I can't get into the tab without dealing terrible, terrible damage to it otherwise.

Apparently the tab was designed to be easy to build, not repair.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Doh I'm an idiot. I just realized I can use tweezers instead of the special tools it supposedly requires. And I'm a pro at making different bits turn different screws... so I'll be checking thst out when I get home. Isopropyl alcohol is a lot cheaper than a new tablet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm not saying that you even have better than a 50/50 chance of making it work no matter what you do, but I've been in the "more time than money" position as well, and you may as well take a shot.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
So I reconnected a couple plugs (were disconnected for some reason)...

Waiting on the verdict, it's plugged in right now. ARGH I hate waiting for the battery indicator to pop up...

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
That most security screws can be turned with a small enough flathead?

I had to open up my gameboy color once, the A button wasn't working, same kind of thing with the security screws. I would have taken it to be repaired by a professional, but I was strapped for cash as always and it was about 10 years out of warranty.