DVD+R DL

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I finally obtained some DVD+R DL discs and burned them in the old NEC 35000A. The writing speed is 4x throughout, but the read speed is terrible. Are all DL discs slow to read? I though that read speeds were always equal to or faster than writing speeds. Is this a faulty generalization, or something weird about the NEC?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Not weird. I too think it's strange that you can write something faster than reading it, don't know why it's like that.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Well, this DVD+R DL totally f***ing sucks as far as I am concerned. It is too costly and nobody wants to wait 30 minutes to download a single disc. :cry:

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Yeah, the bust speed is 27MB/sec. Is this just due to the old NEC 3500A or do the newer ones read faster? The 8x DVD±RW (DL) in my notebooko is about the same speed too, ~3.4 x avergae read.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Probably an automatic firmware slowdown for all dual layer disks. If you flash the drive with a "no rip lock" firmware the drive will probably read at max capacity.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
What is the significance of "no rip lock?" These are the results.

3500A-DVD+9Write.png

3500A-DVD+9Read.png

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
LOST6200 said:
What is the significance of "no rip lock?"

Q: What is riplock and do I need it?
A: Riplock is a term used for locking the reading speed on a drive for certain media types. For example a DVD-VIDEO will only read back at a certain speed, somewhere around 4X - 5X. This keeps the film makers happy as you won’t be able to backup a DVD very quickly. Another use for riplock is keeping noise levels down when playing back a DVD movie on your PC.

In most patched firmwares riplock has been removed, allowing faster rip speeds, these will generally only affect pressed DVD discs. For DVD5 (SL) the drive will generally reach its max read speed with riplock removed. For DVD9 (DL) the rip speed will be much reduced. In the case of the ND-3500 series drives, about 7X is all you should expect.

Riplock removed can make a drive noisier when playing back pressed DVD’s on your PC.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=120934#mod-riplock
In other words, the write test you displayed above isn't affected by it.

Additionally, Rip Lock is only activated when the DVD in the drive contains a "VIDEO_TS" directory.

Hacked NEC ND-3500AG Firmware

LOST6200

Storage is cool
The write test was done first of course. Neither the write test nor read test would be affected in this case, since the files were written by Nero to fill up the disc.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My liteon reader has no riplock and I tried several different firmwares to speed it up from it's stock speed.

So the Liteon 167t 16x drive achieves 16x on single layer comercial pressed media. Dual layer DVD9 comercial media is read at 10x
and DVDR is read at 14x. All of these are the max speeds it achieves, yes it starts out lower. I don't have any dual layer R to test with but I imagine that's going to be much slower than these speeds. I think this is considered to be one of the fastest drives for DVD ripping, mail me your useless cd speed disk when your done testing?

Oh and if anyone knows of faster drives to rip with I would sure like to know.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Eric,

your results look in line with the performance of the drive:

From Cdrlabs 3500 review:

Writing - "The ND-3500A is one of the first drives to feature 4x DVD+R DL writing speeds ... aside from the slight dip at the layer change, the drive writes at this speed from start to finish."

Reading - "While NEC's new DVD writer had no problems reading Verbatim's double layer DVD+R media, the performance was less than impressive. As you can see, the ND-3500A had the slowest transfer speeds out of the four drives here. On top of that, its seek times were quite high."

Is the slow reading performance of +R DL characteristic on NEC drives? Seems to be - example:

From CDFreaks preview of the most recent 3540:

Writing - "The NEC ND-3540A uses Z-CLV, (Zone-Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD+R9 DL at 8x. Three zones are used to write DVD+R Double Layer discs at 8x. The average speed is 6.54x and total writing time is 18 minutes and 31 seconds. Impressive DVD+R DL writing times!....The NEC 3540A does not read the resulting disc very well, as far as PIE and PIF are concerned. The good news is that real world test results show that this disc plays back perfectly on our Philips DVP-642 standalone player......The NEC ND-3540A uses Z-CLV, (Zone-Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD-R9 DL at 6x. Two zones are used to write DVD-R Dual Layer discs at 6x. The average speed is 5.65x and total writing time is 20:42 minutes....The NEC 3540A had some trouble reading the resulting DVD-R DL disc and slowed down to 3x CAV when reading the second layer. The good news is that this entire DVD Video disc played back perfectly on our Philips DVP-642 standalone player."

Reading - "The NEC 3540A reads DVD+R Double Layer discs at less than 8x maximum. We would like to see faster reading speeds for this media type!....The NEC 3540A reads DVD-R Dual Layer discs at less than 8x maximum. We would also like to see faster reading speeds for this media type!"

Can't win them all I suppose....but as you already highlighted, DL sucks anyways.

Stereodude

Not really a
What brand blanks have you tried?

I'm thinking to buy a NEC-3540A and some dual layer blanks so I can backup some DVD's.

The cheapest dual layer blanks currently sold are Memorex (made by Ritek) and are around $75 for 25 of them, which isn't too bad at $3 a pop, but from the reviews at VCDhelp it seems that Ritek doesn't make the most reliable DVD+R DL discs, so I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger...

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Stereodude said:

I'm thinking to buy a NEC-3540A and some dual layer blanks so I can backup some DVD's.

Nero supports multiple drives, so why not just make two copies from the source files? It seems to me that a backup would be slow and more time consuming, both reading and writing.

Stereodude

Not really a
LOST6200 said:
Stereodude said:

Nero supports multiple drives, so why not just make two copies from the source files? It seems to me that a backup would be slow and more time consuming, both reading and writing.
I want to backup DVD movies onto dual layer media, not make multiple copies of the source files.