Dying S3

ddrueding

Fixture
My S3 did not survive the night. My 10-month old managed to knock it from the bedside table to the floor, and bits of the screen are starting to fall out. That such a small thing managed to break the phone would normally upset me, but this thing has taken enough hits up to now that I can't be surprised (up to and including being a point of contact during a bike crash that cracked ribs).

I know the S5 is due within the month, and I could probably hold out that long, but I'm really tempted to go to the larger form factor Note 3 (giant S4), and the Note 4 (Giant S5)won't be out til September.

The main reason for the larger form factor is using the phone in my car. I have a ProClip mount/charger (highly recommended) that positions the phone perfectly, but it is further from my eyes than a phone normally would be.

Thoughts? Would anyone be tempted to leave the Samsung Galaxy line altogether? I'll be paying cash for the phone (4 months before contract renewal), so long as it works on the Verizon network it is fair game.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My friend has the Note 3 and likes it pretty well. As long as you are comfortable with a phone that large, I'd go for it.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I really thought from the title that your Audi A3 had died and was feeling very sympathetic. My bad...

I really try to keep my phone use to a minimum, so I really can't help compared to others here with far more experience.

ddrueding

Fixture
I try not to use it as a phone, either. But having a tiny internet-connected computer with me all the time is really nice. In order of usage for me:

1. Audio (Audible/Pandora/AmazonMP3)
2. E-Mail (all Google-hosted accounts)
3. Remote management tools (GoToMyPC)
4. Misc Internet (mostly here)
5. Games (Fieldrunners 2)
6. Texting (ew)
6. Phone (double ew)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As a proof of concept and entirely because of I spilled a cup of tea on my regular handset, I used a Nexus 7 as my office phone all day. I use Vocalocity (basically Vonage for Business) and their mobile app lets me transfer calls and things just like my Cisco handset. It was a little silly, but I probably spent about an hour making calls and it did work just fine.

I know there are times when we need the actual cell phone, but the artificial distinction between smartphones and small tablets is really, deeply stupid.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
As a proof of concept and entirely because of I spilled a cup of tea on my regular handset, I used a Nexus 7 as my office phone all day. I use Vocalocity (basically Vonage for Business) and their mobile app lets me transfer calls and things just like my Cisco handset. It was a little silly, but I probably spent about an hour making calls and it did work just fine.

I know there are times when we need the actual cell phone, but the artificial distinction between smartphones and small tablets is really, deeply stupid.

At some point does that hugeness fit in the pocketbook or pants pocket?

Mercutio

A 7" tablet will fit in the back pocket of most men's pants, but probably shouldn't. It'll also go in the interior pocket on a lot of sport coats or suit jackets, but again it looks pretty weird to put one there.
I was thinking about that a few days ago. I'd really like to have a coat with an appropriate pocket somewhere around the small of my back that could accommodate a tablet

ddrueding

Fixture
I keep my phone in my front pants pocket. This isn't an issue with the S3 at all, and I suspect the Note 3 will also work there if you keep it naked. ProClip (my car mount of choice) makes one for the Note 3 (naked) or one specifically for the Note 3 in a Defender-series Otterbox case. This makes it all but bulletproof, but increases the size considerably. This may not fit in my front pocket.

Mercutio

Part of the appeal of the Samsung phones is that they're so damned light and thin. I don't see any reason to give that up for the dubious "protection" of an otterbox.
I've seen too many broken smartphones in undamaged cases.

ddrueding

Fixture
That was my thought as well. This one almost lasted the full two years before failure. If I am just a little bit luckier with the next one I'd be fine.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I went with the Samsung Mega.
Huge battery, and most of the time lasts the day, or close. Use it constantly for driving information, music player, and phone, with a headset. Have to try your mounting setup.
Great to be able to pull up the websites, and assignments for work, not to mention my calendar, and link to maps or Waze for driving in the Bay area traffic.

Better value then the notes, slower processor. Don't know if it's less power consumption the the faster cores.
My thought was it's better to have a slightly slower processor, if it uses less power.
Screen does eat a lot of power. It's the 600.

I use the Otter case, since it was free. Put it in a front pocket, but take it out when I sit down, most of the time.

Pretty happy with it.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's not that the phone is too big to sit down with. It's that if you need to get it out, it's difficult to get out of your pocket.