E-mail verification problems...

Handruin

Administrator
Sorry about this everyone. Just a quick notice. For all new members who are signing up, the activation e-mail is very slow and I am looking into it. I hope to have it resolved as soon as possible.

-Doug

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
I got my e-mail pretty fast, took only about 10 minutes yesterday.

When I tried to activate the account with the link, it said the activation key could not be found in the database!! But when I tried to login, I succeeded. A problem, or did I just press the activation key two times by mistake?

Handruin

Administrator
The JoJo said:
I got my e-mail pretty fast, took only about 10 minutes yesterday.

When I tried to activate the account with the link, it said the activation key could not be found in the database!! But when I tried to login, I succeeded. A problem, or did I just press the activation key two times by mistake?

I'm not entirely sure right now. I just signed up another account and I received the e-mail in seconds. I used an off site e-mail address to simulate what others would be doing. This is bothersome, as I can't pinpoint the issue.

There are some issues with the activation key, perhaps you did click on it twice...I just clicked on the one I received and all went well. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Anyone who continues to have trouble, please e-mail me at webmaster@storageforum.net I will try deleting your account and recreating it for you.

-Doug

yesnomaybe

What is this storage?
It took a long time for my activation email to arrive.

Possibly it depends on your domain? If it is a common one (ie: cached) it gets sent quickly, if it is an unusual one, the DNS server somehow takes a long time to resolve it?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mine (when I signed up yet another alias the other day) took a long time. (This was user "Tony" in your disposable test area, Doug. Delete him any time you want to.) Do you want me to try signing up three or four times as "DeleteMe1, DeleteMe2" to see if it works better now Doug?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Could anyone share the complete headers of a user verification email? It might be helpful to see what's going on.

Also, Doug, there exists on your system a /var/log/maillog file. I don't know whether you have access to it or not, but it'll certainly tell you what SMTP is doing and when.

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
Could anyone share the complete headers of a user verification email? It might be helpful to see what's going on.

Also, Doug, there exists on your system a /var/log/maillog file. I don't know whether you have access to it or not, but it'll certainly tell you what SMTP is doing and when.

Thank you for the tip there, I tried to access a few files but I don't have permissions :( There is a maillog dated today, and they also have logs for "exim" such as exim_mainlog, exim_rejected, exim_paniclog. I don't have permission for any of them unfortunatly. I've asked my friend to have them search the logs, or I asked if i could talk to them.

James

Storage is cool
Rackspace seems to give you root on their boxes for $99.95 a month... hmmm. We'd have to be making good money out of the mailbox @storageforum.net thingie. :)

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't said much regarding the e-mail issue as I've not seen too many problems lately. This makes me happy so far. I've removed the hack I implemeted earlier because it was causing a parse error in the file i hacked. I'm hoping my hosting service was having issues and that was all.

I'm just letting you know how things are running from my end...I visit constantly and haven't seen too many issues so far. If anyone comes across a major issue, please let me know so I can figure it out as best I can.

-Doug

Handruin

Administrator
Tea said:
Want me to try another test run Doug? Sign up as 20-odd different members, make sure I get the right number of emails?

If you feel up to it that would help out. I'm going to try a few myself at the area51 (not here of course) :) The last few folks who signed up on this site have received their confirmation e-mail relatively fast because I checked if they had clicked on the link to activate.

Handruin

Administrator
I signed up 14 new accounts at area51 and they all came through in seconds and I was able to activate them all...

I hope that you have the same luck if/when you try.

(thanks for the help btw) :D