EBooks from scratch suggestions?

ddrueding

Fixture
A non-tech friend has asked me to set them up with EBooks. They barely have an email address and flip phones. To start I'll set them up with an account on one of the services, and add it to their Win8 laptop.

Which service should they use? I use Google for no particular reason, but there must be appreciable differences?

Thanks!

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, just to purchase and read books. At the moment just on a laptop, but I'm sure an e-reader will follow if it works for them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The nice thing about Play Books is that, like Play Music, you can upload a library of content you already have. Down side is that Play Books may not be the simplest cross platform choice (there's no ModernUI or Windows Phone or iOS version - those users can work through the web if that's something that they understand how to do in the first place).

Kindle works on pretty much everything, but it's a GIGANTIC PITA to extract content if you want to read a purchased title outside the Kindle app (for example, if you want to read using Aldiko or Moon+ reader).

Philosophically, I wouldn't want to tell someone "just buy from Amazon and forget other things exist" but there's no simple path for non-techies to juggle content between Amazon and anything else and it really is the biggest ebook marketplace. It's very similar to the lock-in that many people think Apple has with digital music sales, though at least Amazon is nice enough to make their software work on fifth-rate platforms like WebOS and iOS.

ddrueding

Fixture
So they are all walled gardens, Google is best if you bring your own book but Amazon has the best selection? I agree with the philosophical issue, and I will try to explain some of the complexities, but when their eyes glaze over I will probably say "It's complicated, just buy from Amazon and forget other things exist".

Thanks!