Excerable organization announces increased incipient data loss capabilities

Handruin

Administrator
A 7 platter SMR 10TB drive...shivers. At least their 8TB drive isn't SMR.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
A 7 platter SMR 10TB drive...shivers. At least their 8TB drive isn't SMR.

Isn't it more than 20 years since anyone has used 7 platters in an HDD? (I really don't know and invite anyone who does to contribute.)

I sort of assumed that drives ran at atmospheric pressure for a reason? They could have been sealed many, many moons ago.

Overlapping perpendicular recording eh? So even the exact depth of the field becomes critical ...

What could possibly go wrong?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I remember when a friend got a 10 MB HDD for his XT-Clone and it was godly. This sucker is 1,000,000x the capacity of that 10 MB drive. And it will cost less as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Isn't it more than 20 years since anyone has used 7 platters in an HDD? (I really don't know and invite anyone who does to contribute.)

I sort of assumed that drives ran at atmospheric pressure for a reason? They could have been sealed many, many moons ago.

Overlapping perpendicular recording eh? So even the exact depth of the field becomes critical ...

What could possibly go wrong?

I've never really kept track of drive platter sizes. Anything higher than 5 seems like a disaster waiting to happen. It would be nice if we could just use the 3.5" form factor and fill it with the lesser grade MLC NAND and over-provision the hell out of it. Couldn't we get to 8TB without making it this incredibly spectacular juggling event of our data bits?

I'm feeling like these drives are becoming sketchier by the release. After reading the info on SMR I can't even see the appeal from an end-user perspective. On top of that they're now sealed with a limited gas resource and extra platters. One could fart in the vicinity and IO would drop from the change in air pressure as error correction wades through fluctuations of instability. I agree...what could possibly go wrong?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The high platter counts were found in the 1.6" drives, which vanished indeed in the latter 1990s. IIRC the 1" height SCSI drives had up to 6 platters.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It appears that Seagate released a 14 platter full-height 5 1/4" monster called the Elite as recently as 1998, so only 16 years then.

Here's a video of the behemoth with all 23 heads. I read elsewhere that you couldn't handle them after sustained operation without being burned. They used 63W while spinning up. :eek: