File syncing services that allow unlimited data like Windows Live Mesh

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Are there any other file syncing services that allow unlimited sync for data that is only stored on your computers (i.e. not uploaded to the cloud)?

Windows Live Mesh allows this but it's buggy as hell for me. Fills up my computer with massive temp files while syncing and basically doesn't work right.

I'm still shocked that no one has gotten this right yet... (Or at least no one I know of.)

ddrueding

Fixture
I hadn't even heard of Live Mesh before, it looks interesting. Installing now.

I still use SyncToy at many locations, but it is only really good for LANs.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Live Mesh promises a lot more than it delivers. It's cool in theory but I couldn't get it to function reliably.

Crashplan.com's basic plan might be what you're describing. It's "unlimited" free backup to other computers that happen to be on the same LAN.

Handruin

Administrator
Live Mesh promises a lot more than it delivers. It's cool in theory but I couldn't get it to function reliably.

Crashplan.com's basic plan might be what you're describing. It's "unlimited" free backup to other computers that happen to be on the same LAN.

CrashPlan will also allow you to backup files from a friend's machine onto your own without going to their cloud. You could make the "friend" connection available for your remote laptop while traveling. I tried getting that feature to work, but was not successful in the limited attempts I tried. I was probably missing the correct port on my router or maybe my friend was missing the proper port configuration for making this work.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I'm a happy customer of Crashplan now, and use their application to backup to their cloud (which is what I pay for) and to an external HD.

IIRC, Crashplan will try to compress your data, which is nice, but you then need their application to recovery anything. I haven't played with it enough to know if you can turn their compression completely off so as to backup actual files that you can read/write like normal.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
IIRC, Crashplan will try to compress your data, which is nice, but you then need their application to recovery anything. I haven't played with it enough to know if you can turn their compression completely off so as to backup actual files that you can read/write like normal.
It's under settings, backup, advanced settings. You can turn off both compression and encryption. I don't know if that will lead to file-wise backup, however.