Free Tools Thread

CougTek

Serial computer killer
One good news and one bad news for you.

Good news is that your link was indeed quite useful.

Bad news for you is that I'm the one you helped.

Thanks

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
One good news and one bad news for you.

Good news is that your link was indeed quite useful.

Bad news for you is that I'm the one you helped.

Thanks

? Don't see the bad news in there.

Handruin

Administrator
I saw the same thing initially, but you should have continued reading:

The just released Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) is a competent browser with enough features to meet the needs of most users but is difficult to recommend due to on-going security concerns. In the past IE has been a focus for security attacks and there is little to suggest this will change with the release of IE7. Additionally, Microsoft have a poor track record for speedily fixing IE defects and this has left users open to drive-by attacks and other forms of zero-day exploits.

There are several excellent alternatives with the new Mozilla Firefox V2 [1] a solid first choice. It's safer than IE, so safe in fact that many users have reported no spyware infections since they started using the product. It's also browses a tad faster than IE, is very stable and is more standards compliant. The program loads slower than IE but once running, it positively zips along. With tabbed browsing and over 1000 free extensions (add-ons) that allow you to customize your experience, it provides most users with a major surfing upgrade. Firefox is now my everyday browser though I still leave IE on my PC for the occasional web site that's designed around IE's non-standard features. If you need any further convincing then check out my IE to Firefox migration guide [2].

Handruin

Administrator
I've looked through their site a bit more and I think they've done a stand up job. Give them a second chance and let me know what you think. I see many tools that the folks here recommend. Even in their anti-virus section they mention the likings of NOD32, Avast, AVG, and Kaspersky. For free e-mail, they list mozilla and suggest "All Outlook Express users should seriously consider switching". Sounds like good advice to me.