Full R/W NTFS support under Linux

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
This is a big step forward! I actually considered putting this up as a news item early this morning, but I reconsidered after reading the bug list and comments. I started getting worried about the potential data and file struction corruption when the drive gets full in the middle of writing a data set.

" Also I may be wrong as I did not spend enough time on it but if you run out of space on the partition in the middle of a complex add or delete operation you appear to leave a corrupt directory. In general the error handling appears to leave things corrupt and does not attempt to roll back correct things. Is this a fair description?

Partly. Thanks, I forgot to document this. When it was possible I tried to make the changes that things stay consistent whenever the free space runs out or whatever error happens. Chkdsk must be always able to fix such inconsistencies. I was thinking to refuse serving requests when free space was getting low but currently the MFT extension limit fills this role usually.

Please also note that "full disk" handling is not so simple as just rolling back things because lower layers can report success when later they can fail which point you already released all the needed in-memory info which would be needed to rollback the state. It's not only a simply rollback problem"

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hasn't full read/write of NTFS been available, but extremely buggy, for some time?