Genome@Home

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Coug and everyone, this is the system I'm using to help out on the Genome@Home project.

The Storageforum_net team would appreciate any help from people with spare "cycles". The number one spot would be very nice ;)

Have Fun everyone!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I have joined your Team JoJo!

I hope they make this software look a little prettier. Nonethelss, I'm in. I've found a link for running Genome@Home as a service so it is out of the way. I have yet to try it but I will eventually. If you would like to give it a shot....here's a link!

http://www.geocities.com/federov55112/Genome_Service.html

Clocker

Handruin

Administrator
I joined up tonight, but I don't see my name on the team list or any personal user stats? Does it take a few days for this infor to display?

Tomorrow I will switch over 2 more machines to lend a helping hand the the team and project. :)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Your name will appear once you submit your first result. The stats are updated every 3 hours or so, but it may take upto 12 hours for a returned unit to show up in the stats (they do a lot of checking for cheating and duplicate results).

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
Hi everyone!

Thanks for joining!

We must give credit where credit belongs, so big applause to Cougtek who started this group, and Pradeep who gave birth to this idea!! (Correct me if I have understood something wrong!)

I'm merely a humble "follower"... :)

Ok, people, we need all the help we can get so that we can reach that number one spot! And primarily we deffinitely hope that our contribution will help medicine!

Let's not waste those free CPU cycles!!!!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I only created the team number, took me 30 secs. All glory to CougTek! :mrgrn: I just wish I could crunch for the team, unfortunately I am committed elsewhere.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pradeep,

If you aren't StorageForum_net, then who is it? I thought that user was you, but now I see Bartender as a separated user. It's not Clocker and since Doug only joined yesterday, it cannot be him either. Who is behind that username?

Oh and to clean up confusion, I had the idea to create a team for our site when I read that Pradeep was crunching the Genome@home for someone else. I downloaded the client, then I looked for a way to start a new team. I didn't see the obvious link on the Genome home page and I asked Pradeep how to do it. He created the team and that's it. Is it me or is it Pradeep who started the whole thing? I dunno and I don't care. What's important is that we beat the living pant out of ArsTechnica's team for the #1 spot!

But thanks for the flowers anyway :)

Just too bad Pradeep is already commited elsewhere. I saw your stats and you are really crunching like a mad. You are around the 460th spot I think, that's a whole lot better than I'll ever reach.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
CougTek said:
Pradeep,

If you aren't StorageForum_net, then who is it? I thought that user was you, but now I see Bartender as a separated user. It's not Clocker and since Doug only joined yesterday, it cannot be him either. Who is behind that username?

StorageForum_net would be me. I reconfigured the user information on three of the systems running genome, but to no avail, they continue to send stuff under StorageForum_net.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I added a link to our team's stats page on the front page so it will be quicker for everyone to follow our progress. We must be one of the fastest growing team.

Bartender,

The lack of an edit button is sometimes a pain isn't it? ;-)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
So... you were finally persuaded to start a Genome@home team, huh? :( :x

Anyone Folding@home?!

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
Just too bad Pradeep is already commited elsewhere. I saw your stats and you are really crunching like a mad. You are around the 460th spot I think, that's a whole lot better than I'll ever reach.

3.93 GHz of Athlon power is good for 160 work units per day :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It looks like my days as the #1 contributor of team SF are ending. In 36 to 48 hours, StorageForum_net will overtake me like if I was stopped. Oh well, it was good the time it last.

We are moving in the right direction though. Teams in front of us must hear something like this. ;-)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
All is not lost CougTek :)

coug+sr.gif

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
CougTek said:
It looks like my days as the #1 contributor of team SF are ending. In 36 to 48 hours, StorageForum_net will overtake me like if I was stopped. Oh well, it was good the time it last.

We are moving in the right direction though. Teams in front of us must hear something like this. ;-)

Sorry for taking your spot Coug, but I have a couple systems that aren't being used much, so I just let them run 24/7 with genome. I just wish that my user name had originally come up correctly.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I will probably be able to add one or two addtional systems next week, maybe even a third one in a month or so. However, these computers aren't very performant compared to yours (an Athlon 500MHz on an AMD751 motherboard and a Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an ECS K7S5A). Still, I might be able to spice this race a little bit :)

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
CougTek said:
I will probably be able to add one or two addtional systems next week, maybe even a third one in a month or so. However, these computers aren't very performant compared to yours (an Athlon 500MHz on an AMD751 motherboard and a Thunderbird 1.4GHz on an ECS K7S5A). Still, I might be able to spice this race a little bit :)

Don't make me fire up my rack with 10 1U Athlon 2000+ systems in the back office! :mrgrn:

Handruin

Administrator
I've got 3 little boxes crankin' away for myself. 2 of them are 1 GHz PIII's and one is 1.2 GHz AMD Athlon. If I had more PC's I'd be using them. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bartender said:
Don't make me fire up my rack with 10 1U Athlon 2000+ systems in the back office! :mrgrn:
If I can force you to do it, I sure will :p

Electricity companies will love us.

Tony would probably be the one who could beat us all. As the most important reseller of the forum (to my knowledge), he sure has more computers than anyone else around here.

For my part, I only have three computers at home and only two of them are functional (the other one suffered from a dead mobo or CPU). Of those two, only one is connected to the 'Net (but that'll be fixed next week).

The other two machines I'll use aren't controlled by me, although I own them both. That's why only two of my five systems will be running 24/7, or maybe three if I finally decide to replace the defective components of my broken box. With three fully fonctional 24/7 computers and two semi-active computers, I sure will rock you.

Prepare that rackmount kit, you'll need it!

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Err, lots of computers, but only one that is useful for this kind of stuff at present. (That's this home one, one of the Athlon 1700s, which is currently still doing the United Devices thing. Am I supposed to switch it over?)

The others are not useful for this task at present. The office Athlon XP runs ECS, and the other boxes are all K6-III/500s, running a motely variety of operating systems: OS/2 4.5 (two machines), W98SE, and NT 4.0. But I need a proper TCPIP network as only the ECS box has web access. Current network runs on .... er .... whatever you call the usual old-fashioned thing that all the Microsoft and IBM networks used to run until just lately.

Sol helped me switch it over to TCPIP the other week, and all the machines can ping each other just fine, but I haven't figured out why I can't get outside the local TCPIP network and onto the web with any machine except the one that actually has the modem attached yet.

Sol can't help me with that as he knows all about TCPIP but zero about OS/2, while I know all about OS/2 and zero about TCPIP. Or roughly those proportions, anyway. I'll just have to sit down and figure it out. Guess it will take me somewhere between five minutes and five weeks. :(

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Tannin,

What OS is the computer with the modem running? If it's 2000 then it's real easy to share your network access over TCP/IP. Simply go into network properties and enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). It doesn't matter what OS the other machines have on them, it should work.

Or get a real connection damn it and buy a router.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Hmmm..... What are you crunching for?

I'm still running the Storage Review cancer research. Can you do two?

In case you missed it, MSNBC had an article up a couple weeks ago about UD. Seems it found 12000 posible cures for Anthrax in 3 months. The SR group was part of this. We are now back to cancer crunching.

Bozo :D

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Tim, it runs ECS 1.0, which is the new name for the latest version of OS/2. Silly name, but it's a superb operating system: very stable, brilliant multi-tasking (far superior to any Windows version), practically impossible to get a virus infection - Windows viruses just don't know how to cope with it.

It certainly does do that connection sharing thing, I just have to figure out what stupid thing I have got wrong in the TCPIP setup. Which will mean staying back at the office after work one afternoon. Which won't happen until this beautiful autumn weather stops. Which will be a long time. I hope.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Bartender said:
Hmmm, Cougtek is now keeping pace with me.
I don't keep the pace with you. You, however, seem to have decided keep the pace with me.

Please don't slow down just to let me lead the team. [lie] I don't care for my personal stats, only the team stats count. [/lie] ;-)

Besides, I look like an idiot now with my prediction that I would be dethroned within 36-48hours. Oh well, I'll probably be the first to reach 1000 units. I'm often the first to 1000, which is quite easy to understand as I'm Mrs. post 1000th (title given to me by a jealous Aussie last July ;-)). My prediction that we would clinch the 400th rank by the end of the week has been right though. Great work guys.

Who's the second one to have picked TheStorageForum_net for his username?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
That StorageForum_net was me! I forgot that I had input Storageforum_net. Anyway, that should be fixed. I have had trouble with my computers and genome lately, so my calculations have been lagging. What type of systems do you have crunching for this project Coug?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't have anything stellar for now. My rig is slightly slower than the one of The JoJo. Here it goes :
  • Athlon XP 1500+ o/ced to 1.436GHz
    Soltek SL-75DRV2 (KT266A)
    Crucial 256MB DDR SDRAM PC2100 @ 142MHz
    Maxtor D740X 40GB.
I don't think the rest of my system (graphic card, audio card, optical drives) has any kind of impact on my crunching performances. I'm running Win2K SP2 and I installed the latest VIA 4in1 4.38(2)v(a) driver, but the only thing the 4.38 accelerates compared to the 4.37 is the AGP performances ; nothing for the Genome. My computer is running 24/7, except for 3-4 hours per week for maintenance tasks during which I have to loggon as the "Administrator" (no Genome project running on that profile). I usually do my maintenance monday evening so that's why my stats are slightly lower that day compared to other days of the week.

Next week, I'll add a 500MHz Athlon box and the week after, a 1.4GHz Thunderbird. Both will be running 24/7.

Handruin might be able to beat me as the first one to reach 1000 units processed for our team, but I'll be the first user of the team to reach 1000 units under my contributing profile (I completed 75 units before joining SF team). Of course, our overall champ will always be Pradeep with his ~20000 units contribution for The Overclockers team, but that was under another profile. It should be quite a hot race to the first to reach 1000 units for the team though. I think I'll reach that number around monday night. We'll see if you can beat me to it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, does adding RAM helps to increase the speed at which we compute the Genome@home? My guess is that it has very few impact and that our performances are mostly determined by the processor architecture and speed, but I'm not sure.

I suspect that our OS can also change slightly the speed at which the Genome@home is running, but again, it's just a guess.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The client only takes about 20MB of memory, so excessive amount will not help performance. Generally with genome, clock speed is all that matters. Tho P4's are not very good performers in it.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I determined that, if we continue at the same pace, we will be 102th on June 15th. Not bad hun? But we will probably be even a bit better than 102th because we will certainly improve our total crunching power till then.

Only RBNet Genome Research Group and The Carmack will still be in front of us among the team #121 to #326 (us). Beyond that, the real game begins though.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
Bozo said:
Hmmm..... What are you crunching for?

I'm still running the Storage Review cancer research. Can you do two?

Yes you can! I'm currently running UD and G@h on a dual Cel 533. Is it any wonder my unit production is so low?!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It is utterly unfair.

For a reason that escapes my understanding, the server of the Genome@home has stopped to accept my units. It is impossible that I haven't shipped anything since 3am last night. I have been in front of my computer for most of the morning and I know I completed at least two genes before 9am. Handruin will beat me to 1000th, I'm pissed. Why does it always happen to me!

Damn Genome project!