problem Good summer hiking/backpacking boots

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
See there, I've already qualified it more than most of you.

Not like I said, I need a good computer (netbook? :D), what should I buy?:rofl:

I don't like hot feet! I want durable, value for the $$$.

I had been wearing for years New Balance 999's (upside down it's Satan, so they retired that model), up until recently 992's. These are super comfortable, give decent stability, even though I've never really run in them. Last me a year - 3yrs depending on how much I walk in them.

But then I decided I needed to walk for exercise and to lose weight. So I started with el chepo (even though I still have my very stiff backpacker hiking boots still with me since my teenage years, *stiff* Vibram classic heavy-duty X-pattern lugged soles) LLBean, figuring I'd save some money as they would eventually wear out before I lost all the weight I wanted to.

But since major weight loss would wear out any shoe until I get down 30+ pounds, I figured no sense in spending huge amounts of money on really expensive hiking boots if my heavy weight will just wear them out really quickly...save for better/more expensive boots after I've lost most of the weight.

The $59 LLBean's are decent for the money, but that's about it. They have tiny reflective markers on the tongue and a strip along the sides, almost invisible to cars, but better than nothing...does it matter, the drivers still do their best to run me down! After 300mi or so, the lugs under the fore foot are gone, it's basically flat now, just a few hundred more miles and the sole will wear holes right into the bottoms of my feet :D.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...505542&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&nav=va

So i have to get something new, but what is more durable and has better stability/support (these have soles that are very flexible)...and is a good value, and breaths well in hot temps (I'm always hot!, except maybe in the dead of winter). Does such a hiking boot exist, and how would I find out about it?

Reviews are plenty and very conflicting opinions :(

Backpacking boots are necessarily stiffer for better support, but they are also almost universally expensive...do they last, can I put 600+mi on them before the soles wear out???

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...=505542&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=

Backpacker magazine highly rated the expensive ($180) Kayland Zephyr, but feedback reviews trashed it and falling apart after less than <200mi

http://www.backpacker.com/editors_choice_2009_kayland_zephyr/gear/12877

Also don't like the lacing system on the Zephyr, or the LLBean's I have.

How to find an inexpensive backpacker grade (but lighter weight, good construction, best support, and breathability!) shoe/boot???

Currently I weight over 200lbs, so lightweigth boots ( like the one I already use, don't seem to be stiff enough, give enough support) seem out of the question, are there any great affordable, and comfortable/supportive 'mid-weight' boots out there?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I do all my hiking in light trail runners, so I can't make any particular recommendations. Big boots are too heavy and slow me down.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Your current weight should not be a concern when looking at boots/shoes. Getting under performing shoes/boots to save a few $$$ due to wear concerns will cause more long term injury issues, than getting a good pair now (or using your existing pair). Remember, prevention is better than any cure.

I'm currently wearing Mangum Amazon 4's ( http://www.magnumboots.com/us/prod/5468.asp ), and they are light weight compared to previous boots I've worn in the past (everything from Army Issue boots, Danners, etc), breath very well (due to being designed for arid/desert environments) and are very comfy. Personally, if I was going to start back up doing 100km's a month, I wouldn't use anything other Danner, Bates or Belleville. Why not the Magnum's I currently have, from what I have heard in recent years the quality has lessened, and the boots don't last as long in rough and tumble conditions. (Mine are 4yrs old and still going strong having done only 600kms in them).

IMO, do not look past boots designed for military use. They tend to have to conform to higher standards than boots made for the general populous, and can be very price competitive when looking at mid-range and above, due to scale of manufacturer. (Mil-spec boots tend to have very long and large production runs, compared to boots made for the general public, which helps drive down per unit cost).

Here is a thread on militartphotos.net about choice of boots: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84159

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
"militartphotos.net" brought images of ladies doing suggestive poses in "modified" uniforms to mind. :)

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Asolo 535's have been good in my experience with a couple pair. Looks like they still make them, although they have gone through a couple revisions since I bought mine.

I bought a pair of Meindl heavy backpacking boots two seasons ago at Cabelas, and while they seem constructed well and are water proof I think I could have gotten something a lot lighter.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I have had a pair of Vasque Sundowners for 15 years or so. They have a steel shank and good ankle support. They can also be resoled. I need the ankle support for a 40lb pack in rough terrain but it would probably benefit you too. Otherwise I just wear my runners.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've put at least 600 miles on my Vasque boots (an older version of this). Though the soles did get a bit melted by being too close to lava in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, they still held up for 325+ miles of the Anapurna trail and every hike I've done in the nearly 10 years since. Although I'm sure it is possible to pay too much for boots, the benefits of a good pair are significant.

When did you do the Anapurna Trail, what age? How many weeks total?...that's a lot of miles, at some high-altitudes!

'thanks guys, while I read some of your advice, I went to Fry's and bought something else on an impulse'
(j/k)

...more later
. :D Can't recommend more highly anyone get a orthodic footbed, perferrably custom-molded if you can afford it!

I'm going to buy one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/721632

^'highvolume' is misleading, just means it has a thicker cushioning layer of foam on top of the more rigid molding layer, the other models are just thinner.

then after wearing it in for a few weeks, use it in every boot I try with the socks I'll be wearing...most likely my thick/hot Smartwool™ mountaineering socks.<gives more cushioning than others.

Walked 42mi this week, are my legs tired!

ddrueding

Fixture
When did you do the Anapurna Trail, what age? How many weeks total?...that's a lot of miles, at some high-altitudes!

1999? 19? ~32 days total, starting from Pokhara and ending not too far away from there (got a lift on a tractor the last bit). In town, the elevation was only around 800m (~2,500ft), but we did manage to get up to 6,800m (22,000 ft) near some peak. I wrote about it at SR at the time.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had no complaints with full leather Scarpas for bushwalking.

Also have some Tevas that are good for water, but they are a little worn out from initial purchase in 1994. Time for an upgrade.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
After much consultation with the woman that works in the shoe dept @REI, I was about to try on a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX's, but the store was closing. She told me how there is nearly a full lenght shank, that should protect my forefoot area (after she questioned me, 'what, are you using crampons?) from uncomfortable irregularities, or rocks in roads or pavement. She said they would be fine for hot weather, why they call it "Breeze" lol.

Then I read some customer reviews:

http://www.rei.com/product/737707#customerReview

:rotfl:

I have used this product for several years, so I have a pretty good idea at this point. However, I am writing this review shortly before returning my pair to the store. Here is why:

I have been very happy with these boots for years. My only gripe with them has been the fact that they get very warm during summer hikes. But I always weighted the fact they are hot, with the fact that they (supposedly) are water proof. Well I was very disappointed on a resent hike to Big Basin. We were under rain for about 5 hours and when we got back to the car, I had about 1/4 cup of water in my boots. See the photo with my review.
So much for "Breeze"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: >don't hold back, tell us what you really think :D

Aug 27 2008

(2 of 2 customers found this review helpful)

2.0Fell apart in 2 weeks

By Timber AT Sobo 2008
from Maine, NH, Vermont

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Lightweight

Cons

• Holds Odors
  • Poor Drainage
  • Poor Traction
  • Wears Easily

Best Uses

Comments about Vasque Breeze Gore-Tex XCR Hiking Boots - Men's:
I bought these boots for my thru-hike because they were advertised as waterproof, felt instantly comfortable, and were relatively lightweight. I did a couple weeks' practice/ training hikes, and hiked 2 weeks in Maine on the A.T. before they started falling apart. Seams started breaking, the leather tore off the toes, revealing that the "genuine leather upper" was thin and had a thin layer of plastic under it, and a while afterwards the soles started coming off. Moreover, they completely lost traction for the White Mountains of New Hampshire, causing me some pretty painful falls. After a couple more weeks, these are barely boots anymore. There are huge holes where there were previously seam tears, there is no leather on the toes, and the soles are completely worn down and are coming off.

Most companies will stand by their product. With Vasque, I had to argue with customer service through a number of calls and do a lot of work to figure out a way to get replacement boots.

I will never buy another pair of Vasque shoes or boots. I expected these boots to take me at least 500 miles (and I was hoping for about 750), and they took me less than 200. And now I know that their company doesn't care for their customers as much as most other footwear companies in the industry.
Umm, why didn't this person return them after 2wks to REI for a refund or credit on another boot? And they waited until the boots had caused some pretty bad falls, where basically falling apart... can we say Darwin award? People said they are not satisfied with durability of the sole, kind of leaves me wondering about Vasque line???

I think if I read enough reviews, I won't buy *any* hiking/backpacker boots :p

more thoughts later...

Manager said it would be alright if I order 2 or 3 pairs from online to ship for free to the store just to try them on, and return whatever I don't want. Said to me: "just don't order 100 pairs"

I would take advantage of the 20% off online sale of most expensive item, via REI outlet, which ends today...but only a non-shoe item. Shoe fit is way too important to buy solely on price. Though if there was a size, and model I was looking at, I could always order, try them on, don't like them, return them, no restocking charge, no nothing...can't beat that deal.

So far, after looking at many models in person, there are lots of things I don't like about a lot of them, fit wise, lace system wise, support wise...and that's before I even tried some of them on, gets worse after I try them on, then go home and read the online reviews/feedback from buyers. Hopeless almost. There is no 'ultimate hiking machine', unlike the driving version---BMW ;)

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I decided I need to get a good custom insole worn in before I get new boots.

I've been using a broken pair (front part broke off leaving essentially a 3/4 footbed, for last year, now even rear is splitting apart) in 3 pairs of shoes over the last 5+yrs. These are a spare pair that went into my ski boots, replaced by a custom Petersens orthotic in 1995. So they are original Superfeet full length hot molded cork insoles that are now ~30yrs old, lol. They would have lasted forever for use in ski boots, but not so with running shoes/boots.

Supposedly these are not for street shoes (Ok, but so what, I've used them for years now, quite successfully too), and Superfeet over the years has greatly expanded their line.

www.superfeet.com

But I called up CS @SF, and talked to a guy that understood how much I enjoy the solid support the full-on hard cork footbed gives me.

So I decided I would go with the Kork Vac model, have to get the ski shop to order it for me MSRP $119 (full length standard ski "Kork" is $149). Got a flexible full length foam top to it, with 3/4 length rear cork support.

CS said it would take less than a week to get it once the shop orders it, so I'll have it fitted by next week.

Ads a hefty premium to the cost of any boot I buy, but since I expect it to last for many sets of shoes/boots, the cost is not that great. Whatever boot I buy, if I keep to my aver 20-30mi/wk, on asphalt and concrete surfaces of the city, those boot soles will wear out every 6 months or so.

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Kork_Vac.aspx

The full on Kork model is really hard under your arches (reason there is so much support), and unless you've used one in a ski boot, probably too uncomfortable for most. I use thicker socks like my Smartwool™ mountaineering socks, cause they're just about the same thickness as the old Wigwam short ankle length wool socks we used to use with our hiking boots. The thickness of the SW Mountaineer sock makes the hard cork orthotic pretty comfortable.

At my local A-16 hiking/camping supply store, I tried a number of lighter weight boots, was told no matter what kind of waterproof layer, none of the waterproof boots will breath as well as one w/o waterproof barrier. Tried on the Vasque Breeze XCR ($160) w/Goretex @REI.com

Fits just a little narrow on my 9.5 size foot, when using a size 10 (thinner wool socks).

Both of these shops ^ have small 4x4 foot 'simulated' rock surfaces with hand rails to grip, so you can walk over those rough surfaces to get an idea of how much support/protection/stiffness in the shank & sole, you get for your feet/forefoot area.

Lighter weight hiking boots/trailrunners with ankle support, you can feel sharper rock forefoot penetration, as well as overall sole distortion *much* more than stiffer boots. Of course the stiffer the boot sole/shank, the more unnatural the gait when walking, up to mountaineering boot that basically have zero flex (designed for crampon use). Most of the heavier duty, stiffer backpacking boots, even the lighter weight models have full on thick, and supportive stiff non-breathable leather uppers.

Can't stress enough checking out the stiffness of the sole by flexing it with your hands, makes I *big* difference as there is a great range of flex stiffness, even within a same brand line like the Vasque Breeze. The Breeze line, named for the mess uppers; starts off with the lowest priced model @$120, no Goretex waterproof layer...but, the sole is actually stiffer than any other model in the Breeze line, in the forefoot. Call it a moderately stiff, backpacking boot that's very breathable, and lightweight (but not much support in the uppers, not much protection from abrasive injuries). I spent a good 30min walking around in the shop with a size 10, kind of fits tight (I'm between a D and 2E width foot).

Keen makes shoes that fit wider than most in standard width (I haven't tried any wide width boots as I have narrow ankles) but the forefoot flex is seemingly as soft as the LLBean boots I have now, perhaps too soft. Really comfortable that way, but even though the sole is thick enough to not feel too much rock penetration in the forefoot, I *hate* the lacing system on most of the lighter weight boots. I much prefer the metal 'locking' lugged lace retention systems...only it's difficult to find that on a model that's designed to be lightweight and has a more supportive sole :(.

Keen lacing system is a PITA to use, at least on a new pair.

Don't much care for the lacing system on the very lightweight ankle supportive/trail runner Montrail Hardrock MID boots (low top version is a trail running shoe). Tried the Hardrock in the 10.5 size, they are a little longish, and fit a tad narrow on my foot. And they don't really provide very much torsional stability, can feel some rock penetration in the forefoot, but slightly less that my worn out boots now :). If I were trail running like Gilbo, I'd definitely consider something like the Hardrock Mid, ankle support/prevention of twisting injury is just too important, IMO.

In the end I may end up liking the comfort a softer flexing forefoot provides, if I keep my walking/hiking to <10mi/day trips. Given I'm using thicker socks, breathing ability is a important consideration.

I could get my local shops to order it, but no one locally stocks the Montrail Helium boot so I could try it on for fit. The synthetic breathable upper, combined with lighter weight backpacking target, seems like it might be idea???

Wish Montrail would redo their silly sizing system that means you need to go up a full size larger than what you normally fit.

Some online sources, where you only bite the shipping cost if you order the wrong size boots (or you could order 2 sizes, wear both for a while and ship back the one which doesn't fit as well). Can't imagine Chewy has as many options as we do here in the States?

A 3rd local sporting goods chain, Sports Chalet, had the New Balance, top-rated by Backpacker Mag, model 1500. Looks nice, has an interesting flex pattern no seen on other boots. Has softer flex further back, right under the arch, as opposed to most which flex under the 'ball' of the foot. Might be more comfortable and supportive at the same time, sole is thick and seems like it would absorb shock (though did not try it on cause it's not very breathable). So I have one last boot to check out locally @New Balance store, before I decide what to buy. The fabric uppers on the New Balance boot, model 1201. That model has mess upper with 3 metal lugs on the angle portion, looks good on paper/internet :p, though they look entirely different in construction from the backpacking style 1500's.

I kind of like to support NB, as I always buy their Made in USA 992/993 model in loose fitting 2E width, and they are the only company that makes D, 2E *and* 4E width shoes/boots easily obtainable.

New Balance MO1201 at Zappos.com

Kayland boots look interesting, but they are not easy to find, even online.

I might just stick with Montrail as IIRC all of their shoes/boots are using 100% synthetic materials in construction...vegan :D <insert snarky comment about how you never considered *eating* your shoes :p>

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/montrail/helium-gtx/

Helium looks cool, maybe better than the highly rated Kayland Contact boots, but might be too much boot for walking around the city, not light enough?

From reading reviews, seems that pretty much all brands have some failures in manufacturing (WD drives Merc ? :p ), except maybe the $$$$ all plastic shelled hardcore mountaineering/expedition boots.

I tried on a number of Lowa boots (my old, now *way* too narrow, lightweight leather backpacking/fairly stiff soles-w/classic mountaineering/crampon "+" lug pattern are Lowa), but could not find a pair that fit right/comfortable enough, seemed to be too narrow, didn't want to run the chance of pain, as when I put my 30+yr old Lowa's on for a short 4mi walk, I was in near instant pain within 1mi, and should have taken the bus home, lol...took a day to recover.

Online shops, beside Zappos above:

Sierra Trading Post

Men's Shoes and Boots (Sale) at Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

Backcountry (outlet too) (sale until Sept 2, lowest price on new Helium boots)

Montrail from Backcountry.com

Moosejaw (don't ask me why the name? :p )

Buy Montrail Men's Namche Shoe - Montrail at Moosejaw - Free Shipping

MountainGear:

Footwear at MountainGear.com

What I'm doing now is trying to find discountinued boots in my size(from online that has good return policy/satisfaction guarantee), not easy, but savings can be huge.

And finally, if you need to pickup a 2nd pair of shoes/boots you already know fit well, and want to do it risk style,ebay, no warranty consider; slightly used (backcountry.com sells there, get's rid of their returns this way?) there's GearTrade:

http://www.geartrade.com/search/?cm...=true&submitButton=Search&searchTerm=montrail

*very* detailed/lenghty user reviews on some boots/trailrunners here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...trail Hardrock Mid/Test Report by Mike Curry/

While I like Salomon ski products, as they are well made/thought out engineering, I can't find any lightweight/breathable boots in their current line that look promising :(

almost forgot, you'll need to get 1/2 to 1 size larger, to compensate for a custom orthotic's added volume, check this before buying

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Tomorrow, www.rei.com has an members only 'used gear' sale. This is the stuff members have returned under the 100% satisfaction guarantee. Some of it is pretty used, some fairly new/almost new condition. *Lots* of hiking boots...if you can find a pair in your size. Only you'd better be sure, because used items are sold 'as is'.

I was at the rei in Santa Monica this evening, 10min b4 my appt across the street to get a hair cut. I got to my hair cut appt 10min later than I would have, if not for window shopping @rei. Turns out they overbooked, I couldn't get a hair cut, but they gave me an appt for next week for a free haircut :). So I applied the savings to an $20 REI lifetime membership, which will get me into the 7AM-9AM zoo of the 'used gear' sale.

Looking to score a pair or trekking poles 4 $20, reg. price is $60-90. Thinking if I'm early in line @6AM, maybe that pair or size 10.5 Vasque Breezer XCR's will still be there @$30...used, but not very worn yet...compare new price of $160:

http://www.rei.com/product/737707

^ I've tried these one, I think I like them a little better than what I ended up buying for $65 incl shipping. from mountaingear.com Montrail size 10.5 Namache ankle high trail running shoes. Very breathable, but also fairly soft flexing sole, and thin enough to feel rocks/large gravel through the sole...but not nearly as bad as my paper thin LLBeans.

I actually like the lacing system of 2 top lugs and pull thru loops of the LLBean the bsst of the 3. Don't really care for the Montrail lacing system, but the price was right, and they do absorb better than the LLBean ever did.

But maybe not enough? Vasque Breeze XCR ('waterproof' Gortex liner), like the Montrail's has a full lenght EVA shank. But the one on the Breeze is stiffer/thicker. as well the sole is thicker, absorbs more impact. Not as stiff as a heavier duty backpacking boot, or completely inflexible mountaineering boot, but certainly gives much more support than the lightweight/duty 'day hiker' boots like the Namache, and others which are as flexible as the LLBean.

But being thicker, it might be a problme for my aching inflamed arthritic right toe joint, that's been giving me lots of pain recently...feel it many times even when I'm barefoot :(.

So I may end up with 2 boots, given total cost being less than a pair of new Vasque Breeze boots w/Gortex liners. Buying larger size than I need because of that joint pain issue, but still less wiggle room in the toxbox/forefoot section than a wider volume boot like the Keen or Merrill.

Funny thing is that the Breeze & Breeze XCR are made with different stiffness soles, the Breeze XCR having a slightly softer flex than the non Goretex model. After I wear out these boots, which will likely happen just as fast as the LLBean, in say 500mi of LA streets/sidewalk cement & asphat abrasion, I may consider buying the Breeze w/Goretex for the more supportive stiffer EVA shank. Same sole as the Breeze XCR.

I did note on one pair of returned Breeze XCR, printed tag reason for return, said an REI employee claimed they failed on 'off-trail wild oats'. I did not understand this, had to ask a couple of employees, and we were able to figure out the problem was that wild oats, presumably a type of grassy weed, has some pokey burrs that were able to penetrate the mess breathing sections of the uppers, you could see the remnants of those burrs still logged in the mess. Guess that's a potential problem with any lose/open mess upper...breathability has it's downsides.

Longer term, if not the Breeze, I'll look into buying the Kayland Vertigo Light. Looks like it has an good lacing system (though still not my preferred heavier-duty backpacker/mountaineer lugged and metal wire pivoting triangles over the forefoot/instep portion, style of lacing), with a less breathable but full synthetic tight mess upper.

With online ordering, it makes sense, whether or not shipping is free, to order at least 2 sizes that you think will fit, as one size invariably ends up fitting more comfortably.

backpacker.com's site is screwed up, can't find the link for the editor's choice review, instead had to use Google cached page:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...ite:http://www.backpacker.com+Kayland+Vertigo

Hiking is too complex, too much gear to buy. Now I need to get some topo maps (if I had an iPhone 3G I'd be able to use the GPS and Google maps/Earth functions with it), maybe a compass. But since the recent fires, there's lots of burned areas that will mean wildlife, in the form of mountain lions on the prowl. With my limping walking from the painful right toe, I look like a good target for dinner :D.

Thinking I should go to a security store and get a stun gun. Bear pepper spray would be fine for your occasional run in with LA's nastier natives in the wild or the occasional black bear, but with a moutain lion, you get stalked from behind and have no warning. Hiking Zen/Cain style solo has it's downfalls.

Shall I take a class in map reading, with a compass, then buy a GPS? Then there's the 2 or 3 panel mini solar panel that can attach via straps/velcro to your backpack ( oh geez, I've got to buy a backpack with a 100oz fluid resevoir too!) to charge all of your trail electronics.

If I'm going above 3000 meters, then I need a waterproof windbreaker/jacket. Least a freak ice storm or thunderstorm/snow dump get me frozen:

Backpacker Blogs - Spanked on Baldy

Well at least the trail bars and lunch don't cost much more than they did decades ago :p

Can't forget, since I'm out of shape, probably should bring along a 4lb collapsible 'trail chair'. Why they still sell this in a heavier metal tube frame is a mystery. Surely an aluminum frame would save a pound, a carbon frame even better >2lbs?

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/gci-outdoor-trail-sling-ultralight-chair

^maybe this one will fit in my backpack?

Right now my knee joints are not liking all the walking I did over the past 3 months, lots of pain from either tendonitis or old cartilage damage... in addition to the toe joint pain. Assuming it's open in few weeks after the big Station fire has been completely put out, can I even make it for the entire 18mi round trip distance of the famous Mt Wilson toll-road--- that I easily hiked in my early teens?

Easy to take public transportation close enough to the Mt.Wilson trailhead.

Gas prices are soaring. Glaciers are melting. What's a conscientious hiker to do? Take the bus, says Dan Koeppel, who did just that to escape downtown L.A.
http://www.backpacker.com/september_08_take_the_bus/destinations/12560

Then there is the mother of all hard core hiker trails locally, that I can't get to by public transportation...unless I'm willing to take my bike on public transport, and then cycle 12mi up the Mt. Baldy Dr road to Bear Canyon drive. Assuming I don't get altitude sickness, all I need to do going by public transport is get up @3AM, take a metro bus to downtown Union Station in LA, then take the light rail out past Pasadena/Sierra Madre, catch the Foothill transit bus @5AM, get out to Montclair 1:30hrs later, then cycle 12mi up the canyon starting @1,800 feet, end @~4,000ft elevation at the trailhead, and then hike a steep 6mi, 6,000ft elevation gain to the top of Mt. San Antonio, highest peak in LA County.

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baldy.html

And then there are the freakin loonies, bagging all 3 of the highest peaks in So.Cal in one day! :

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-repo...an-creek-socal-triple-crown-the-hard-way.html

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Shall I take a class in map reading, with a compass, then buy a GPS? Then there's the 2 or 3 panel mini solar panel that can attach via straps/velcro to your backpack ( oh geez, I've got to buy a backpack with a 100oz fluid resevoir too!) to charge all of your trail electronics.

If I'm going above 3000 meters, then I need a waterproof windbreaker/jacket. Least a freak ice storm or thunderstorm/snow dump get me frozen:

I'm not sure what kind of duration your hike is, but I would recommend the following:

Have two compasses (one is backup). Know how to use them and a map to navigate. The start of a multiday hike is not the time.

An iphone with 5 or 6 battery hours or even a normal GPS as a sole source for a hike is IMHO bordering on the criminally negligent (putting rescuers at risk when they have to come and find you).

I would recommend a tent in addition to a waterproof jacket if you are venturing above the tree line. The jacket is where GoreTex does very well, I see no point in it for boots as the water is going to come in from the ankle if you get into deep water. I have walked for a week with full leather Scarpas and the feet do just fine.

Let someone know where you are going, when you should be back, and to contact the appropriate parties if they haven't heard from you. Don't forget to tell them when you do return.

Good luck.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I'm not sure what kind of duration your hike is, but I would recommend the following:

Have two compasses (one is backup). Know how to use them and a map to navigate. The start of a multiday hike is not the time.

An iphone with 5 or 6 battery hours or even a normal GPS as a sole source for a hike is IMHO bordering on the criminally negligent (putting rescuers at risk when they have to come and find you).

I would recommend a tent in addition to a waterproof jacket if you are venturing above the tree line. The jacket is where GoreTex does very well, I see no point in it for boots as the water is going to come in from the ankle if you get into deep water. I have walked for a week with full leather Scarpas and the feet do just fine.

Let someone know where you are going, when you should be back, and to contact the appropriate parties if they haven't heard from you. Don't forget to tell them when you do return.

Good luck.
Fantastic advice!

I typically only carry 1 compass, as I'm confident in navigation using both Sun and Star positioning/navigation methods. I admit, I don't have a GPS either, since I was taught how to use a map/compass from a young age and haven't seen the need so far. (Which was not that long ago, but before GPS become available).

I also carry a 5W UHF radio tuned to the emergency channel as well. EPIRBs should be carried on multi-day hikes in very remote areas as well, but with decent planning one can do without one, but for as little as 300g of weight I would carry one. (except the price is a factor with an EPIRB).

In lieu of a tent, a bivvy bag can be used in emergency situations. Most Bivvy bags are GoreTex, MilAir or Emphatex constructions, but tend to be more expensive than a tent.

PS. The EPRIBS that operate on the 121.5MHz frequency are no longer monitored by Satellite, so ensure you have one that operates on 406MHz.
PPS. Bivvy Bag = http://www.hikelight.com.au/category8_1.htm

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Same here. GPS at the time was reserved for the Trimble type industrial receivers, the idea that a phone could have it was pure sci fi.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I used to get most of my gear from Paddy Palin but had good luck with Mountain Designs as well.