Grippy pad!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A couple months ago, I saw a news post somewhere or other that introduced me to the Grippy Pad. It's a little mat of just-sticky-enough stuff that you can more or less slap on anything and will more or less hold anything that's placed on it. It's meant to do things like hold cell phones and other devices on your dashboard in your car, but I'm looking at one that's holding a ~3.5lb. netbook to a wall right now.

They're $12 and come from Firefox.com.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have seen the knockoffs that are pretty good but no where near that good.

Mercutio

I was showing it off to my coworkers. We've determined that while it will stick beautifully to the very textured wallpaper in our office, it does NOT stick to the dashboard of either my boss's or her son's Audi. Wood? Yup. Plaster? Yup. Glass? Yup. Leather? Yup. Ford dashboard? Yup. Honda dashboard? Yup. Toyota dashboard? Yup. Audi? Screw you, Grippy Pad.

I thought I should add that little bit of information since apparently half the regulars here are apparently buying audis or something based on a couple threads I don't read.

I stuck a 16x24 glass and wood picture frame to the wall a little while ago and it's been there for a couple hours now.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have not tried that one, but a different one some time ago was only usable on smooth roads. Would the gripper work if I were driving the 4x4 on a rough dirt road?

Mercutio

What is it about me that makes you think I would ever ride in a 4x4 on a rough dirt road? Please. I live in one of the states that WON the Civil War.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
These seem fine to have you phone on it flat in the car but not useful as a vertical mounting place or am I incorrect?
Perhaps placed over the speedometer I could mount my phone and use the GPS?

Mercutio

They do eventually lose their stickiness, but yes, you can mount things vertically, including smartphones and hard drives.
I guess they have to be washed every so often to maintain their stickiness. After I slapped one on the dirty exterior of my car, I found that it didn't hold as well.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought I should add that little bit of information since apparently half the regulars here are apparently buying audis or something based on a couple threads I don't read.

:rofl: You're not alone in that perception.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio said:
I thought I should add that little bit of information since apparently half the regulars here are apparently buying audis or something based on a couple threads I don't read....What is it about me that makes you think I would ever ride in a 4x4 on a rough dirt road
Clearly you need to buy an Audi SUV

LunarMist

Until it breast down in the middle of nowhere and you need emergency service and parts. :(

Handruin

Administrator
...breast down... :(

6084breast_cancer_ribbon.jpg

LunarMist

What is it about me that makes you think I would ever ride in a 4x4 on a rough dirt road? Please. I live in one of the states that WON the Civil War.

Most of the interesting parts of the world are not accessible by paved roads. Hiking, flying, swimming, etc. are often necessary to reach the location. A truck or good SUV gets one within striking distance.

LunarMist

Are these grippy pads available in the US? Firebox is British and Firefox is the browsing company.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Even they picked a good name. Who wouldn't want to be associated with breasts?
I'm not aware of the association between breasts and that word. Tata is a surname used by this family for > 200 years. I don't think they picked it because of a more recent association with boobs.

Mercutio

How did I miss this whole exchange?

Anyway, I am sure that the association of tata with teh boob0rz has been going on for centuries as well, seeing as how men can call 'em yabbos, sweater puppies or bags of sand and we all still know what is being discussed.

Anyway Lunar, no, I got mine from the UK.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I'm not aware of the association between breasts and that word. Tata is a surname used by this family for > 200 years. I don't think they picked it because of a more recent association with boobs.

Just so you all know, tata means "dumb" in French. So tata motors doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Just so you all know, tata means "dumb" in French. So tata motors doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
That's a problem of a different meaning in a different language. With globalization, this is bound to occur. There is a common German last name that means "dick" in an Indian language; so what?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a problem of a different meaning in a different language. With globalization, this is bound to occur. There is a common German last name that means "dick" in an Indian language; so what?

Know your market and adjust if you can.