Happy St Jean-Baptiste Day

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I fell about as concerned by the Fête du Canada as you can be. I don't care about the national holiday of the country next to mine. People celebrating it here piss me of quite a lot though.

I once thought about buying little canadian flags to wipe my butt after my daily dump, but it would be giving them money so I refrained.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, but that's because I work for a finance company and the Toronto market will be closed tomorrow. I'll work Thursday, but it will be a very quiet day.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Put it aside when I had an opportunity to work as a network/system administrator. I can learn stuff that I hadn't the chance to touch when I was self-employed. I don't earn more money, but I think I'll fare better if the economy goes the way I think it'll go. One month after being hired, I was already the decision maker for buying new equipment.

I'm probably doing more or less what Handruin does, but to a lesser level since I work for a much smaller company.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Put it aside when I had an opportunity to work as a network/system administrator. I can learn stuff that I hadn't the chance to touch when I was self-employed. I don't earn more money, but I think I'll fare better if the economy goes the way I think it'll go. One month after being hired, I was already the decision maker for buying new equipment.

I'm probably doing more or less what Handruin does, but to a lesser level since I work for a much smaller company.

Are you still allowed to smash equipment that is pissing you off though?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Practice things like this. You'll have to work on looking innocent and sincere when you say them, though.

"It tripped."
"No, I don't know how that dent got there."
"That server made me do that to it."
"Sometimes you have to hit one to keep the rest in line."

ddrueding

Fixture
Also, a lot of the brit techs I worked with used the phrase "knock it over" to mean reboot it. They did not mean to literally knock it over.

That took me a while to figure out.

Handruin

Administrator

I do a variety of tasks in my current position. My primary role is a performance and scalability engineer working with our different software projects/products. My role is to help plan, identify, and test for performance and scale problems before release and the also provide detailed guidelines for customers to follow while deploying and using our software. I also spend a portion of time writing code. Lately it has been in Java and groovy and also integrating those languages in the GRAILS framework/platform for an internal performance API project that I've been working with another coworker on. I will also spend time writing and scripting/hacking in other various languages in efforts to create tools that help with our projects.

A small/medium subset of my responsibilities is lab management and planning for our team. Since we do performance testing, we get our own hardware and also manage it seperately from the other teams. I help lead that task for our team with respect for planning, maintenance, and specialized configurations for certain projects. The lab management covers not only hosts, but also networking, storage, and SAN management and the various software and licensing.

Is any of that like what you are doing at your new position?