Having fun with Chrome

Piyono

Storage is cool
I just downloaded the Chrome beta and so far I'm enjoying it. On first impression the program is totally unassuming, intuitive and friendly. I'm really liking the interface. To contrast, the first time I tried Opera, I felt like my reflexes and intuition were under attack, and with each version it gets worse.

I'm thinking about Apple, and how every time I see an Apple ad and hear how "intuitive" and "easy" the OS is I cringe. The OS X interface makes me want to scream, and not out of pleasure. Chrome boasts the kind of simple elegance that Safari only wishes it had. I just sat down and started surfing and, frankly, I haven't stopped (with the exception of when it crashed, which we expect in a beta).

Gut says "we like it". Goin' with the gut.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I made these posts in Chrome.
Totally digging how it does tabs.
Very slick.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I just downloaded the Chrome beta and so far I'm enjoying it. On first impression the program is totally unassuming, intuitive and friendly. I'm really liking the interface. To contrast, the first time I tried Opera, I felt like my reflexes and intuition were under attack, and with each version it gets worse.

I'm thinking about Apple, and how every time I see an Apple ad and hear how "intuitive" and "easy" the OS is I cringe. The OS X interface makes me want to scream, and not out of pleasure. Chrome boasts the kind of simple elegance that Safari only wishes it had. I just sat down and started surfing and, frankly, I haven't stopped (with the exception of when it crashed, which we expect in a beta).

Gut says "we like it". Goin' with the gut.

Forget about ads dude, you've been brainwashed by the M$ machine so long, you mindset is fixed. It's like your a native speaker of Chinese and you want to scream because Enngrrrsssh is so difficult to learn, lol.

99.999% of the people who are forced to use the Mac OS *exclusively* for a year or longer, after having grown up on M$ Winblows, will tell you the GUI for M$ Windoze makes them want to "scream" bloody Hell in frustration every time they go back to it. Have fun with your Chinese language classes, really the most easy language to learn on the planet...if you're born in China :D .

Safari rocks!

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Forget about ads dude, you've been brainwashed by the M$ machine so long, you mindset is fixed. It's like your a native speaker of Chinese and you want to scream because Enngrrrsssh is so difficult to learn, lol.

99.999% of the people who are forced to use the Mac OS *exclusively* for a year or longer, after having grown up on M$ Winblows, will tell you the GUI for M$ Windoze makes them want to "scream" bloody Hell in frustration every time they go back to it. Have fun with your Chinese language classes, really the most easy language to learn on the planet...if you're born in China :D .

Safari rocks!

99.999% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I usually make it a point not to even read your posts but I somehow accidentally read this one.
Piyono is saying the MacOS interface isn't intuitive and I would tend to agree with that. Windows OS isn't intuitive either but most people are used to it.
You claim it's not intuitive because he's used to windows?
Your rabid Apple fanaticism has warped your brain.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Safari rocks!

I wasn't trying to spark debate. I grew up using both Mac OS and Windows and I use both regularly. While I'm certainly much more competent with Windows' inner workings I'm no slouch on Mac OS; it just drives me up the wall, that's all.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Installed it. I don't care for having to have a bar for bookmarks when IE & FF make it a menu option. For a streamlined browser that's a big waste of space. I'd prefer to be able to right-click a tab or a page and have bookmarks be on the context menu.

As to Mac v. Windows v. other OpSyses; I don't care. The apps I use are generally fine on Windows so there's no reason to change the underlying OS.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Installed it. Runs okay but seems to chew up a lot of memory and CPU cycles. But it is a Beta.
The menu bar can be removed and a drop down 'menu' can be added.
It also causes my mouse to flicker..strange.

Bozo :joker:

Handruin

Administrator
I miss that it doesn't support the mouse wheel click & scroll. I use that quite often for zipping to the top or end of a web page.

Handruin

Administrator
As do I, but I will also use it to scroll through a page fast without needing to go all the way to the end. It's a minor thing, but I do miss it.

Piyono

Storage is cool
In Firefox I use the bookmarks toolbar for daily rounds and I hit CTRL-B to open the bookmarks sidebar when I need to dig for something. I hardly ever open a menu.

Yeah, mouse wheel click n' zip is missed. On a side note, I wonder how many people dropped $80 on that Logitech revolution mouse when they could just be clicking and zipping. Suckas! (no offence to any suckas reading this)
:)

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Actually, the Revolution mice can (optionally) remove the friction from the wheel so the wheel maintains inertia while spinning. The MX also has a side-mounted wheel which I set to jump between tabs in FF.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Actually, the Revolution mice can (optionally) remove the friction from the wheel so the wheel maintains inertia while spinning. The MX also has a side-mounted wheel which I set to jump between tabs in FF.
Yeah, I think the mouse actually senses a hard flick and disengages the click stops automatically. Very cool.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My company already banned chrome on company laptops citing security concerns, seems they already had problems with it. Funny thing is we use IE exclusively and they think that's fine security wise so they must have really had a wake up call with chrome if it's worse than IE6/7.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's an issue with Google's EULA that's really nasty from a legal standpoint. Basically they claim some kind of IP rights (to index and datamine) on whatever you do through Chrome.

It's a webkit browser, so it should be on par with Safari or Konq as far as security goes.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
My company's only allowed browser is IE6, because it's "supported." I think I hate hearing that word at work more than anything. It basically means that it's fine to use a steaming pile of shit as long as there's a support contract. It also means that paying $10k/year for support is a good idea even if support is never used.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
After trying Chrome I suddenly longed for a faster, less problematic browser than Firefox, so now I'm using Opera. It's faster and has more features built-in, and overall I honestly think it's better than firefox, but the interface is absolutely dreadful. I can say without doubt that Opera simply gets in my way, all the time.

Chrome was totally different from what I was used to but I immediately liked it. Opera is only somewhat different and I find it seriously broken. Highly disappointed. I guess I will still have to wait for Chrome to be ready for Linux. Until then I guess it's back to Firefox.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
My company's only allowed browser is IE6, because it's "supported." I think I hate hearing that word at work more than anything. It basically means that it's fine to use a steaming pile of shit as long as there's a support contract. It also means that paying $10k/year for support is a good idea even if support is never used.

Funny thing is our company is an industry leader because of our field service/support. Our product for the majority is on par or nothing special with everyone else but because we can back up support requests we have a much larger acceptance in the market. If something goes down and interrupts production its a big deal to be able to get support in critical services.

Unfortunately I work with some embedded hardware with web pages and software with web pages that all only work in IE6 or better. Our "support" is a little more of a technical issue of getting people to fix/change the code so that it will work in multiple browsers. This is good from a development standpoint that they can save money by only testing and developing with one browser and bad because if something breaks because of a MS security change/update we are SOL till they fix the product. Ah well at least the majority of the time it is flawless in IE and they don't block me from loading firefox and doing whatever I want with that, but on my own if it doesn't work.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Downloaded Chrome installer. Found out that there was no way to block ads. Deleted Chrome installer.