HDD SMART temps reliable?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Are temperatures reported by SMART generally reliable?

My server is reporting one warm disk at 109°F so I shuffled things around and unless I am crazy and lost track of something that one hot temperature moved to another drive, I thought I grabbed the hot disk and moved it to the front in a 5.25 adapter rail. I was worried about the hot disk but there is no way IMO that that one drive can be that temperature, it doesn't feel hot and is surrounded by disks that are cooler than it.

This is where it sits now:

Seagate 750gb 7200rpm 89°F
Seagate 2TB 5900rpm 109°F
Seagate 2TB 5900rpm 80°F
Seagate 750gb 7200rpm 91°F
Samsung 1TB 5400rpm 73°F
Seagate 2TB 5900rpm 80°F
Seagate 2TB 5900rpm 82°F

I was getting concerned because the server isn't as full as I plan for it to be. Anyway I am upgrading the fans from about 24CFM to 54CFM.

IMG_0251s.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
I generally recall them being accurate, but keep in mind that it is just a single point on the controller board that is being measured. Is there a piece of tape on the sensor?

I typically trust the feel of the drives more than the sensor readout anyway. Worst-case, just break out an IR thermometer.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure about the old English measurement units, but the temps don't seem very high. What are the specs?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The 109°F was chosen for a "warm" message and I think that seems about right where you may want to think about poking around looking for dust or failed fans, this is set in home server SMART monitor and you can't change the threshold that I know of. The room is about 72°F now. Simply feeling the drives the two 7200rpm ones are noticeably warmer than the 5900/5400rpm drives so I'm convinced the one reading is FUBAR. The tape was only on the side where the drive rails attach not on top or on bottom, but on second thought I took it off. I wish I still had my IR thermometer.

LunarMist

A sampling of my drives are between 26-41 °C. Many of them report no temperature, no doubt due to the drive controllers used. The SSDs don't report tremperatures either.

Handruin

Administrator
My Samsung 1TB drives are between 25-28C (82.5F) and my WD raptor runs around 35C (95F). The two Samsung drives are in my lower bay of an Antec P183 with a 120mm fan and the WD is in the top location with no fan in front, but the exhaust fan in the rear pulls air over it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am sure I don't have a real temperature problem, I just think that one seagate 2tb drive is 15° or more out of wack from reality. Stranger even when it is one of four same model number drives in use. The samsung likely reads a good 5° lower than actual IMO too. Seems like such a simple thing to get right, why bother if it can't hit a target in a degree or two.

LunarMist

Today I loaded the page with photos on. Damn that is a huge case. :eek: What kind is it?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life