Heat Sink Bends Mobo

Piyono

Storage is cool
The stock intel heatsink that came with my boxed Q6600, when installed, actually bends my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R. I had to RMA my first of these boards because of component failure, and now I'm suspecting that my replacement board may be under undue duress, as well. It's less than a centimeter of bow, but there are some light cracking noises when the thing goes on. I usually buy OEM CPUs and aftermarket heatsinks, and this is my first exposure to this particular heatsink, so I have no idea if this kind of thing is normal. I imagine a mobo can take only so much flexing. It's a little nerve-wracking. Piyono

ddrueding

Fixture
I've experienced the same with the stock Intel HSF (on that motherboard and others). Intel's current mounting mechanism is one of the crappiest to date. I've also had them actually pop out on their own.

ddrueding

Fixture
They all still work. The only issue I had was when two of the corners popped out of the board and cooked the chip. But considering the number of installs I've done, that isn't too big a deal.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Intel HSF really blow, or is that suck?

BTW, how is the LGA1366 - same, better or worse that LGA775?

Stereodude

Not really a
I put the OEM Intel Q6600 HSF on my E5200 on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. It put a slight bow in the board, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've probably built or been responsible for building 600 or so LGA775 systems in the last couple years. None of them have ever had the heat sink pop off. Almost all of them bow the motherboard at least somewhat.

I used to hate the Intel HSF retention system, but with practice, it's much easier to pull the fan on and off, which I appreciate. I have been shipped a number of non-functioning HSFs out of that collection of parts.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm pretty confident that the HSF popping off was user error.

The i7 stock setup looks identical to the 775 kit (but a bit bigger), so I won't be bothering with it. I have a Thermalright TRUE Black 120 and the LGA1366 bolt-thru kit for it. Hopefully that won't warp the board too badly.

ddrueding

Fixture
My i7 board had a metal backing plate under the CPU already (I've read in reviews that other boards have them, too). In addition, the CPU cooler I'm using has its own backing bolt-through plate. A crazy amount of pressure on the CPU and no bending.

See my list here.