Hitachi starts shipping 4TB drives in Japan

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Source
Hitachi GST Deskstar 4TB hard disk drives (model 5K4000, model number HDS5C4040ALE630) have 32MB cache, use Serial ATA-III (SATA-600) interface and utilize 4KB advanced format. The Deskstar 4TB hard drives use CoolSpin technology that promises to reduce power consumption without compromising performance. Actual spindle speed of CoolSpin-based drives is not published, but some estimate that it is 5900rpm.
345$

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Probably from Hatichi, certainly not from Seagate. Uses the same platters as the 7K1000.D (1TB-per-platter).

I'm pretty sure that it's WD that pacmanned HGST and not Seagate (which swallowed Samsung's storage division).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yeah, that's what I meant. Once in a while I get confused about all the mergers. When does WDC disappear completely like the Samsung?

LunarMist

I guess the question is if the lenses are a handful produced prior to the disaster or if production is in place elsewhere?

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm still unfamiliar with tape. I like being able to directly access the contents of media on any computer without using a special program. It also happens that a complete copy of the data is 3.2TB, so 4TB disks make it very easy to take a copy and store it somewhere.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've had terrible luck with external drives. I don't mind using them with small customers but it really seems that > 1TB 3.5" externals are too delicate to be trusted for anything.

LunarMist

I have some 4-bay external drives that are reasonably robust with a decent power supply, metal frame and rails, and 90mm fan. Unless you are beating them up like Cougtek, I don't think that should be a problem.

LunarMist

Who said anything about backups? I would buy 4TB for dynamic data.

LunarMist

Does anyone use the Hibachi 4TB drives? I'm thinking about buying 4 of them today.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I haven't used them and at 320$ each, I'm not about to either. When their price will drop below 200$, then we'll see.

LunarMist

Please buy 18, set them up in a RAID 60, and give us a report. :)

LunarMist

I only have 16 L lenses and one DO, the 400/4 not counting as L for some reason.

Handruin

Administrator
I only have 16 L lenses and one DO, the 400/4 not counting as L for some reason.

Oh my! I have 3 L Lenses and that was costly enough for me.

I would be interested in the 4TB 7200RPM drives once the price comes down a bit. I can skip the 3TB generation and move over to the next. I'm hoping these things aren't heat monsters.

LunarMist

I don't have any Canon lenses that are not L, so some money was saved there. :) I also have 4 Canon TCs, including the 1.4x III which should be a L lens considering the optical design and cost.

Of course the damned cameras are generating all those GB of images. For one project (3 sessions) I now have 60,000 frames to edit down to roughly 300-350 for printing.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Sheesh, how do you do that? Set the camera at 10 fps, use a cable release, and go to sleep for an hour? (I know the math is off).

LunarMist

Sheesh, how do you do that? Set the camera at 10 fps, use a cable release, and go to sleep for an hour? (I know the math is off).

No, it was a 27-month project with about 6 weeks of shooting altogether. There will probably be about 350 useful images from that.