Hold on, a Quick Right Turn in the Thread . . .

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I went for Indian food during lunch today (again) -- fantastic stuff. I wish I had tried this type of food earlier in my life. Although there is a decent chance that I might not have liked it. :D Wait a minute, I'm the same age I was a few years ago. How old am I? I hate it when you don't pull your own strings, you lose track of everything.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
<cough> You didn't go anywhere for lunch, I went, and it was good. Anyway, you've been around for about 20 years, but I you have always been in your late 40s.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
And where did you have this satisfying experience, Buck?

There are two Indian resturants I favor mubs, one is in Laguna Beach and the other is in Laguna Hills. Both are named Natraj, but they are different owners. The one in Laguna Beach is very small, but their Lamb Buhna is fantastic. The one in Laguna Hills has a great buffett that is Monday through Sunday, from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm for $7.95, except on Sunday, when it is $11.95. However, the Sunday brunch includes your drink (including all you want champagne) and lamb; the other days don't include lamb in the buffett. There is another one in Mission Viejo called the Bombay, but I'm not too keen on their food and they seem to be more expensive. All of these places are a bit of a drive for me, but some days it's just worth the effort. :D

Handruin

Administrator
Indian food doesn't sit very well for me. I'd argue (probably with myself...[no not the forum member]) that it's the worst food I've tried so far in my life. We go out as a group every week and occasionally it's Indian buffet. The food isn't very tasty and for some reason I end up tasting it the rest of the day every time I burp. :puke-r:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gee, Handy, no need to puke if you don't like it, just don't eat it.

Cuisines get modified in America, and are not really authentic. Like pizza here, which is quite unlike the original in Italy. Sadly most Indian joints I've eaten in, the food has been average at best and the prices exorbitant. Quality seems to vary tremendously, depending on who's the head cook this month. I'm told this cook turnover is a big drain on the owner's pocket, and also leads to the variation in taste/quality.

Buck, I've eaten at Natraj in L. Hills (1998?) when I used to live in L. Niguel. I'd rate them average for the food I had that day. There was a really, really good joint a mile from my place in L. Niguel, but it closed down circa 1997 and became a golf shop.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
mubs said:
Gee, Handy, no need to puke if you don't like it, just don't eat it.

Cuisines get modified in America, and are not really authentic. Like pizza here, which is quite unlike the original in Italy. Sadly most Indian joints I've eaten in, the food has been average at best and the prices exorbitant. Quality seems to vary tremendously, depending on who's the head cook this month. I'm told this cook turnover is a big drain on the owner's pocket, and also leads to the variation in taste/quality.

Buck, I've eaten at Natraj in L. Hills (1998?) when I used to live in L. Niguel. I'd rate them average for the food I had that day. There was a really, really good joint a mile from my place in L. Niguel, but it closed down circa 1997 and became a golf shop.

I can understand how Handy feels, I'm very much repelled from eating a lot of asian food, the smell alone keeps me away. Although I will also admit, like mubs pointed out, that quality definitely varies. I have English and Indian friends (Indians claim that the best Indian resturants in the world are in England) and they have cooked authentic dishes for me. So, that gives me something to compare.

These same friends tried the Natraj in Laguna Hills about 4 years ago and were very disappointed, however, since I've gone for the past year, they have joined me and commented on how much it has improved to their satisfaction. Now they want to go. It also helps that since I have visited this particular resturant, I've seen the same chefs come out with food for the buffett each time -- that is comforting. What is even more important is that the chefs are Indian. I'm not being prejudiced, but if you want Indian food, it should be made by Indians; if you want good Mexican food, it should be made my Mexicans, etc. That is just he way it goes.

And don't worry Handy, if you hate Indian food it just leaves more for me. :D

Handruin

Administrator
I want to make a point that my dislike for Indian food means no ill will against any race, or person. :) I've gone to this restaurant with a few Indian coworkers and they said the food is similar to their own, which tells me it's at least semi-authentic. The owner is Indian, and makes the food by his native culture standards from what I understand. I think for my case, it must be particular spices and ingredients that I don't care for.

And mubs, I agree that most Cuisines get modified in America. My work is VERY diverse in culture and I've repeatedly heard while out to lunch that certain ethnic foods are not prepared as they would in their native land. Pizza around here is mostly Greek, not Italian, so it's going to vary by area I'd assume.

I've grown to like American style Chinese buffet, and also Japanese Tepanyaki. I particularly like Hibachi Scallops. yummm.